Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the Coast to Coast show last week when they had a show on animals that found and might still find humans a tasty snack. I was thinking what about zoo animals.

With the incident recently in Ohio does anyone worry or wonder what could happen if some of those private zoos let those animals out of their cages because they couldn't afford to feed them? Could part of the country see breeding populations of bears and large cats similar to what might have occurred in England?

Do you live near something like this and have a plan to deal with a situation if it arose, other than shooting any wild animal that wandered too near.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Ditto. We can take down any animal that might walk down the road. And once it's down, we can have dinner. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not denying the tastiness of animals :) Although not sure the proper way to prepare Tiger or Lion. Does that get a red wine or beer?

Just curious if it impacts any thoughts of a BOL or staying in an area.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Not denying the tastiness of animals :) Although not sure the proper way to prepare Tiger or Lion. Does that get a red wine or beer?
Trial and error. If it doesn't come out right as a steak, try a roast. :p And I'm leaning more towards beer. :beercheer: :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One downside would be the likelihood of an inefficient killer. Unlike a predator raised in the wild who could expertly give you a quick death, these kept predators have spent most, if no all, their lives in an enclosure and hand fed. They never had to develop the skills to hunt and kill. So, you as prey for one of these escaped beasts would suffer an agonizing death as they begin to consume you even though you are not quite dead. :D

It would make doing outside chores a bit more interesting, though, wouldn't it?

·
1,734 Posts
It would make doing outside chores a bit more interesting, though, wouldn't it?
I've started carrying even when doing chores in the yard.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
How about both! :D :beercheer:

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
I recall news reports of zoo animals being turned out (accidentally or purposely) druing various civil wars and major natural disasters in third world countries. Some were killed and eaten by the people, others went feral and were a danger.
Yeah, when TSHTF bigtime, we will have this problem too.
Not to mention feral dogs - Rover will gather his 'pack' and go hunting..... us!
Magnify by MILLIONS........ :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to mention in places where these turn outs occur people with live stock might see severe loss of herds.

The python issue in Florida has become a nightmare in the last 20 years. Feral Hogs have exploded into a nuisance in areas they normally were not found in the last few years (northern climates).

It might pay to find out what private/roadside zoos are near you or who has exotic animals in your town.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
The Feral Python 'issue' is a chimera - an excuse for more Governmental control. NO person or pets have been harmed yet by the snakes - they are too secretive. Sensationalism makes it easy to control the masses.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recall news reports of zoo animals being turned out (accidentally or purposely) druing various civil wars and major natural disasters in third world countries. Some were killed and eaten by the people, others went feral and were a danger.
Yeah, when TSHTF bigtime, we will have this problem too.
Not to mention feral dogs - Rover will gather his 'pack' and go hunting..... us!
Magnify by MILLIONS........ :eek:
I'm gonna need more ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts