Exercise Routines

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Blissness, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Blissness

Blissness Guest

What kind of exercise routines do you guys do to keep in shape? I am trying to figure out a good routine that gets the job done and takes as little time as possible, as I am always busy doing chores around the homestead. The holidays and the really scrumptious food is coming around the corner, so I really need to quit being so lazy. Need to drop around 7-10 pounds..ugh...:rolleyes:

2. Tex

Tex Pincushion

I've found that since my metabolism changed about 15 years ago, the only way I can lose weight is to watch what I eat. I go to the gym for 1-1.5 hours about 4 times/week. I do 30 minutes on a bicycle and 45-60 minutes of weight lifting. The exercise makes me feel better and helps me to control my gout. As much as I've been working out, I haven't lost a pound in months.

3. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

1. Raking and Shoveling Manure and pushing wheel barrow
    2. hauling hay bales
    3. Hauling full feeds sacks
    4. Hauling buckets of water
    5. dragging in 100 ft of hose to drain before it freezes.
    6. riding horses ( Yes it is excellent exercise)
    7. operating a chain saw
    8. Splitting wood
    9. Operating T-Post pounder to build fence.
    10 hauling rocks for borders and walls
    11, digging and cultivating the garden
    12. hanging laundry on the line
    13. Walking down to the mail box and back
    14. Walking the fence line to check the fences

Those are my weekly exercises. and then I add in an additional 1-2 mile walk every day that I'm at work in town.

4. Spearhead

Spearhead Member

I start my day off with some yoga stretches and poses. Really helps me relax and feel better. It takes a while to get the hang of the motions and breathing but with time it becomes much easier and beneficial. I don't like fast moving cardio workouts so the stretching and muscle building of yoga works out great for me. You can google some yoga links and videos and take a look to see if it is something you might be interested in.

5. Big B

Big B Well-Known Member

Tex
    You don't see the weight difference because muscle weighs four times what fat weighs.
    Measure your progress with a tape measure.:p

6. Ernie V

Ernie V Guest

I do pilates. Not to help me get in shape for a SHTF situation, but to keep my stress levels down. All in all, being in shape helps during a Bug Out situation. Pilates is a fast, pretty easy workout with great results. Not much a routine for men, but the women always seem to enjoy it.

7. wetbandit

wetbandit Guest

Yoga is great. I love getting connected with my body and feeling inspired by the mountains.

8. footballsam

footballsam Guest

Just work out as much as you possibly can at a specified time every day but have good ideas of strenuous workouts like situps/pushups/weight lifting or you can go on runs.

9. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Well-Known Member

There is something called Functional Fitness that focuses on moves that simulate everyday movements such as reaching in different directions. It keeps the muscles you use most stretched out and strong so you don't have one of those moments when you pull a muscle doing something as simple as tying your shoe. Some of the moves use light weights or a ball.
    I started doing some of this before I started working at my job that required me to lift heavy metal all day. I'm sure it saved me some trips to the chiropractor!
    Even the elderly can do it.

10. Carol&Steve

Carol&Steve Guest

Is Functional Fitness a video? Do you have a link to a site about it, rainbowgardens?

11. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Well-Known Member

It's actually called Functional Interval Training. I read about in the book Perfect Weight America by Jordan Rubin. They showed some workouts in the book. I don't know if they have videos for it. Try Googling it.
    Apparantly Dr. Rubin has a personal trainer that teaches him. If there is a Dr. in front of one of your names maybe you can afford to pay someone to personally train you!

12. Avarice

Avarice Guest

Dr. Oz had alot of great tips as well. He is featured on Oprah often and he tells it like it is.

13. Tex

Tex Pincushion

You're right, and I can see the difference, but without losing weight, I'll never get my speed and jumping ability back. As strong as I'm getting, I can't move 215lbs as fast as I could 175lbs. I now suck at basketball and volleyball, but I'm stronger than ever at 41 and at least I feel good.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  14. SimeaseDream

SimeaseDream Guest

Well, at least you are feeling good! That is always a good thing!

15. Big B

Big B Well-Known Member

Just keep it up Tex, it took years to get heavier and it will do the same returning.
    I believe dieting is a waste, we just need to change our eating habits.

My weak spot is sugar, I love the damn stuff.

At least it's organic.