Excerpt from the NY Times

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by wildman800, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

My questions is, "What do they know that we don't know?

The Russians announced last month that they were constructing 5,000 new bomb shelters in Moscow, as quickly as possible. Some of the new Russian Bomb Shelters would replace older shelters and many will be built to accomodate their increased population needs.

We did away with our shelter program many, many years ago (Carter Administration?) and depended on the MAD Doctrine. Why the sudden change of heart? No, I'm not buying the "Terroist Reason" cited by our illustrious leaders.

U.S. Rethinks Strategy for the UnthinkableBy WILLIAM J. BROAD
    Published: December 15, 2010

Suppose the unthinkable happened, and terrorists struck New York or another big city with an atom bomb. What should people there do? The government has a surprising new message: Do not flee. Get inside any stable building and don’t come out till officials say it’s safe.

The advice is based on recent scientific analyses showing that a nuclear attack is much more survivable if you immediately shield yourself from the lethal radiation that follows a blast, a simple tactic seen as saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Even staying in a car, the studies show, would reduce casualties by more than 50 percent; hunkering down in a basement would be better by far.

But a problem for the Obama administration is how to spread the word without seeming alarmist about a subject that few politicians care to consider, let alone discuss. So officials are proceeding gingerly in a campaign to educate the public.

I excerpted this from The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia and the entire article may be found and read there.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

they're not bomb shelters... they're Armageddon Bunkers

when I finish my fan-fic you'll see what I mean ;)

3. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected and yes, there is a big difference. I can convert my garage into a viable Fallout Shelter in about 6-12 hours.

4. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

That's probably where all the Mountain House is going? :)

5. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

That is a good question, where is all that freeze dried and dehydrated food going? Other companies went up in price!