Everyday things we take for granted

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by dahur, Mar 11, 2011.

1. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

I was sitting here pondering what things do I take for granted, that I couldn't live comfortably without.

Well it has been mentioned before, T-paper. I have at least a couple years worth stocked up.
    Cotton socks I take for granted. I go through a six pack every couple months. That's on my list now, I can't imagine a world without socks!
    Food for my cat. She's pretty picky, I think I should add a bunch of cat food to the list.
    Pencils, Pens, and paper.
    I should pick up a couple pairs of 1.25or 1.50 reading glasses at the drugstore. If mine broke, and I couldn't get any more, well that wouldn't be a nice thing. I like to read.
    A few extra decks of playing cards.
    Anyone else think of common, everyday things that would be missed, if became unobtainable?

2. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Batteries
    Flashlights
    Washing machines :D
    Toothpaste

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

It's this sort of thing that gets to me, because I know there'll be loads of things I'll miss (but didn't think to prep)...

can opener (they all seem to go bad)
    nail clippers / nail files
    underwear (working on getting the family well stocked on THAT item)

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I am not a "girly" girl but I sure would miss chapstick of any kind-- I hate having chapped lips..
    Lucky for me I have been amassing a hoard of the precious stuff.. Bwaaaahahahaha!
    I have also been learning how to make my own out of stuff that will be available after TSHTF.

5. Reblazed

Reblazed Member

scotch tape
    safety pins
    magnets

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a comfort item but it would be tough to make repairs without nails, screws, staples and other types of fasteners.
    A shank of good sturdy rope could come in handy and clothsline rope would be indispensable.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Sun glasses, safety glasses, gloves (both for cold and for work), chainsaw files and screnches, ponchos/raincoats, coloring books/crayons for my boy, wow...I could (and probably will) think about this one all day.

Good question, Dahur! You've stimulated my mind for the morning.

8. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

To get an accurate record you would need to keep track of every thing you buy for a year or so.
    And then think of what else being self sufficient would take.
    under wear,baby wipes

9. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

From your posts, you may want to check out My Store Supplier - Wholesale General Merchandise & Novelty Items!!!
    It's a convenience store supplier.

That's the cheapest place I've found to get things like chap stick, bic lighters...

For those with glasses, yes, a few extra pair of progressively stronger strengths would be a very good idea. I bought a few off the rack but found you can get 2 pair of your exact prescription for under $50 so while I can, I'll continue to get those and save the off-the-rack ones for backups.

Duct tape will be very handy to have.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Tape in general is a good idea. Duct, electrical, even scotch and masking are useful from time to time. It's usually pretty cheap and easy to get, too.

11. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

Wow, great suggestions you guys! My list has grown with these posts.

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

And to those I'll add duct tape and masking tape...I can't do without either very long.
    Goo Gone is great, but nail polish remover works well also.
    OOPs..repeated..sorry

13. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Instead of nail polish, how about straight acetone? It has a ton of uses and is 1/10 the cost of nail polish.

14. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

All great things. Up here, fishing would be a main sustenance in SHTF and I'm a big shore fisherman(although I have a small 10foot aluminum). Infact during the summer I supplement a meal a week with fish and wild edibles, so my one main thing would be fishing line. If it's monofilament you can make it last 2 years but it won't last forever. I replace my lines every year, so I certainly take this for granted.

I'm working on fishing with temporary homemade twine(stinging nettles, and pine/spruce roots) but this is a timely project and one that is not as reliable as monofil.

15. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

I just came from Lowe's. I saw a scissors/knife sharpener for $5, so I bought it.

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

I hate to state the obvious, but I don't think my wife could make it with out her feminine products, I stock up on razors and Tylenol. :)

17. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Have her google a "Diva Cup" might be worth having a couple on hand. If she wants I can also point her to a great thread on reusable feminine products that can be made at home. Just PM me.

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer Emerald, she's about a 95% non believer with her head in the sand about most things. I may check up on some of those things and stash them away for her. :eek: Do my best with out giving her more "nut case" ammo to fire at me. :D

19. mercygirl87

mercygirl87 Active Member

tampons and pads for us girls! plenty of alcohol too

20. Daegnus

Daegnus Active Member

Caffeine, shoe laces, access to information, cardboard boxes, breath fresheners