Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread doesn't appear to receive a lot of activity and I have to wonder why since personal protection is an important part of overall emergency preparation.

I thought I would attempt to start a discussion surrounding everyday carry items. Certainly we all have a few items we don't leave home without.

I searched for a picture of my EDC stuff that I had at one time but seem to have misplaced. Regardless, here is a listing of what travels with me once I leave the safety of the "man cave".

I carry concealed. Usually its a Kahr CW40 snuggled inside a Cross Breed Super Tuck IWB holster w/xtra mag in pocket. Or, weather and clothing permitting, its a Glock 23 in an appendix holster w/xtra mag inside a belt-mounted "Ehud" mag carrier. I like the increased firepower of the Glock and I like the ACH when driving, as it is easy to access.

I carry a Benchmade "Doug Ritter" lock-blade - 3.5" blade in my right-front pocket. This isn't assisted opening, but it opens fast enough. Add to that a Leatherman 'Micra" multi-tool.

I have a loop of aircraft cable purchased from CountyComm.com that holds tweezers, a small "widgey" pry bar, P38 can opener, whistle, and a small micro-light. I've had occasion to use all that stuff at one time or another.

Finally, my wallet, which contains the usual stuff.... driver's license, CCW permit, whatever cash my wife allows me to keep, :( several band-aids, a survival info card, debit card... things we all carry.

I don't dress like an "operator", or wear clothing embossed with gun logos and similar things that would categorize me as a specific type person to those who I meet. In summer its usually shorts and flip-flops and a tee or golf shirt (If I want to be fancy). In winter its bluejeans or carhartts and sneakers or hiking shoes. Blending in is my goal.

How about you?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I carry a S&W M&P .40 fullsize that I carry on a regular basis in a blackhawk paddle holster. I also have a S&W .38 snubnose in a leather holster which is a slightly smaller option, but I rarely use it. I carry the M&P on the job, so I am more comfortable with it. I have a S&W "special ops" tanto folder with a 4" blade which I have carried for about ten years. Great knife. I must sound like an S&W fanatic, huh?

As far as dress... i've gotta say that I am sort of guilty, there. I love my 5.11 Tac-lite pants and there's not much that's more comfortable than an old pair of BDUs. Aside from those, I am usually in jeans/t-shirt/boots, kakhis/polo, or cargo shorts/t-shirt/running shoes. Pretty average for my yuppie area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My daily cary will be either a Kimber 1911 3 inch or a Smith and Wesson 1911 5 inch depending on my mood. These will be carried in a Pure Kustom's OWB holster. I to prefer the 5.11 pants and have a bunch of them.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Kahr 9MM and I near always travel in a pack with 7 people or more! 3 of them usually have a knife that is at least 3-4" long. Those same 3 are just as skilled or more skilled in using my 9MM as I am and they know where I keep it. Those same 3 also have 5 years of Tae Kwon Do training.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I don't carry a concealed gun. We live in an area that's pretty crime free at the moment. We have shotguns for when it hits the fan but that's it for now. I'm not against it. I think it's a good idea.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Ruger LCP .380 or Ruger P85 9MM I am dead on with the 9MM but certainly deadly with the LCP too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
During my last three years I wore 511 tac pants and polo every day. Still have a bunch. My wife hates them for some reason.

I went looking for a Glock 19 Gen 4 today, but didn't find one. I qualify for the public safety discount Glock offers, so a local dealer has ordered me one. It will fit my ACH I already own, carry a bit more ammo, and the 9mm is cheaper ammo.

I also handled the new Ruger Scout rifle today. Me like! I have a Remington Tactical that is just too heavy for the shoot and scoot scenario I envision. May try a trade.;)

·
New here
137 Posts
While off duty, I carry a Glock 23 concealed in a IWB holster with 2 spare G-22 magazines, a Cold Steel Recon 1 folding knife, a Streamlight Pro-Tac 2L flashlight clipped to front or back pants pockets as well as a Streamlight Microstream around my neck. I don't leave my house without these items concealed on my person. I generally wear khaki pants (not 5-11's) or blue jeans and an untucked golf shirt or button down sports shirt in the summer (I tried wearing shorts one summer but blinded too many people by my white legs :eek:). i guess if I wore shorts on a daily bases during warm - hot weather months my legs would tan, but have grown so accustomed to wearing long pants I'm used to it.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
I don't

Markov .380 throated out Walther style here.
I usualy don't carry unless I have reason to go into strange territory or to the city but when I do , I carry a Markov 9x18.

This is a great handgun. It is flat , has no sharp edges and is double action on the first round and single action on the next six.

This gun has a hammer drop safety and fits my hand like a glove.

The Ammo comes in hollow point or ball.

It is a good point shooter for me.
:cool:

·
Mobile Bug-Out-Bag-Man
56 Posts
Well my current EDC doesn't have a gun involved (trying to find a opening for a concealed weapons permit class).
But I currently carry a SOG twitch knife (love it), a gerber tanto fold knife, a gerber paraframe knife, and a gerber multi-tool (I've always liked knives for outdoor use and strong believer that you can never have too many knives), A bandana (millions of uses for a bandana), my wallet like you mentioned has band-aids and alocohol wipes in it, my keys have a 550 paracord bracelet that I made for them, a mini nail clipper, and a bottle opener/blade, and last and finally I have a cheap bic lighter that has a flint fire starter wrapped onto it with a couple of hair ties (my fiances, but I figure a hair tie could maybe used for some type of tourniquet).

I always wear a extra shirt. Usually it's a button up with 2 extra pockets on it and usually blue jeans.

firm believer that EVERYONE should have a decent EDC

·
Registered
140 Posts
Warm weather Keltec P9 in a pocket holster plus two extra mags. Colder weather bring out the glock 26 , 19 or 1911.

Gerber tool.

Brunton survival lighter

Sure fire light.

Buck knife

Sell phone and wallet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Normally I have my Kahr CW9 with a IWB Crossbreed holster when concealed carrying is warranted.
Otherwise, I use a" man purse" daily with the firearm and xtra mags tucked in.

Other EDCs....A Fenix LD10 AA flashlight, Surefire E2D flashlight, ITouch, cellphone, Gerber Crucial multitool, GPS, mini FAK in the bag.

Smallest EDC carried is money.....:cry:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I usually just wear jeans and a tshrit or long sleeve if it's cooler. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry with the crimson trace and 2 extra mags. A Case folder that I have carried for 30 years, and a Columbia River Dogfish neck knife. Of course my wallet, ID, cash, one credit card and my keys. I never carry a cell phone.

·
1,734 Posts
wife and I will both be carrying XDm9 compact as soon as we receive our license. We were joking around, what happens if BG tries to attacks either one of us and is suddenly confronted with two defensive weapons?

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
During my last three years I wore 511 tac pants and polo every day. Still have a bunch. My wife hates them for some reason.

I went looking for a Glock 19 Gen 4 today, but didn't find one. I qualify for the public safety discount Glock offers, so a local dealer has ordered me one. It will fit my ACH I already own, carry a bit more ammo, and the 9mm is cheaper ammo.

I also handled the new Ruger Scout rifle today. Me like! I have a Remington Tactical that is just too heavy for the shoot and scoot scenario I envision. May try a trade.;)
I heard tell Glock went MIM with the newest extractors. A few LE owners have noted extraction problems cured by replacing the MIM extractors with Gen 3 (tool steel).

I'm not happy, I have a few Gen4s and am not a fan of MIM on such a critical part. I know the engineers do their homework, but sometimes I like "chicken rivets".

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know there were some complaints regarding weak ejection with the Gen 4s. Glock did install a double-wound recoil spring with the purpose in mind of reducing recoil in order to stay on target better.

Still haven't been called by the second dealer I've tried after a number of weeks for arrival of the discount G19. Maybe I just need to pony up and buy one at retail.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.