Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago in my previous life as a chief officer in the fire service, I was privileged to participate in a number of meetings with my peers from other areas of the state of Virginia and the state's Dept. of Emergency Management (DEM) on many issues, one of which was the evacuation of Tidewater and the Hampton Roads area ahead of landfall of a major hurricane. DEM was being proactive in devising a plan well ahead of such an event.

The first presentation of this plan occurred at a meeting in Richmond. After the presentation I told the Director that they had a great half of a plan. He looked stunned! I asked, "Where are all these people going that will be evacuated?" Silence. No one had included in the plan where evacuees would actually go. I guess it was felt the evacuees would just speed off west into the countryside to safety. But, where? No answers.

Since that day the plan has been added to, modified, re-modified, and several "super shelters" have been designated - one in Richmond - for evacuees. Regardless, many of the 400K people thought to voluntarily evacuate will be leaving on a shoe string. What I mean is, they will pack their cars full, including pets, grandma, and all the kids and head west with a quarter tank of gas and still not sure where it is they are suppose to go. I anticipate hundreds if not thousands of people running out of fuel, people with chronic medical conditions without the needed medications, and communities along the way that simply cannot manage the in-flow of people with problems. It is likely not to be pretty.

Hurricane Irene is churning up the Atlantic. It will be here by this weekend. It is my sincere hope that this plan will not be needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have they said anything about it hitting Charleston or not? I have to go there Friday,I have been watching the weather channel, it hasn,t said much about there, just NC.The news said it was growing stronger.

·
234 Posts
Keep in mind that the "target zone" is much larger than where the center of the storm makes landfall. The collateral effects like flooding may occur in areas not technically in the danger zone. It only takes one bridge going out in a rural area to clog evac routes beyond belief, and that can occur witheven minor flooding. Plan accordingly.

·
Old Member
115 Posts
I am on the southern coast of Massachusetts and they are already saying it has a good chance of coming up here. Here we go again..........

·
Registered
260 Posts
We are expecting to be hit by Irene up here in Providence, although it will probably be weaker by the time it hits RI.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yeah, I am kind of nervous to see how this will play out. They told us that it should hit Maryland some time on Sunday. Got a bad feeling that I will be stuck at work again that day, and my wife is supposed to be camping on the Eastern Shore this weekend. Hopefully she gets home before the storm gets here.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the tide chart for Va. Bch. Should be approaching low tide if Irene brushes by at the predicted 2AM Sunday.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Battening down the hatches in Little Rhody...

We are expecting to be hit by Irene up here in Providence, although it will probably be weaker by the time it hits RI.
Heard an interesting discussion last night from two NWS meteorologists on talk radio. Their feeling, based on the available data, is that we may be in for a bad time from Hurricane Irene, especially if it maintains a category 3 status.

All the projected storm tracks seem to be taking aim at Long Island Sound and the Connecticut coast. If the storm tracks to the east of Providence, it will be mainly a rain event, which we can handle pretty well. If it tracks to the west of us, we will get the the heaviest winds and rain, which would be a problem. If the eye passes over the city, it is a toss up as to the outcome.

If New York city takes a hit from this storm, they could have major problems if the power drops out causing the pumps to fail and the subway and utility tunnels flood out. 2 inches of rain would put them out of business for who-knows how long.

Hopefully, the storm may veer east out to sea, but little data to indicate that happening now. The powers that be are getting ready to secure the hurricane barrier (which I can see from my apartment window) to protect Providence from flooding , as happened in the 1938 hurricane. :(

1938 New England hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read the above article, you will see a storm track map that is almost identical to the track that Irene is taking! :eek:

On the other hand, we did an early shopping and put away some supplies, we have a good supply of candles, stove fuel, and camping equipment if needed, and the car should get a good washing from the heavy rains! :D

(BTW- that flood marker is mounted on a wall about 6 feet high! I'll post during the big event if the power holds.)

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just heard on fox news that Irene was going to "change the landscape" from NC on up but mostly NC. Don't know how this will pan out but just a heads up. Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
This could be a worse disaster than Katrina. I know the areas to be affected aren't below sea level but there are so many more people in the path. A lot of people don't have much money because of the economy and don't really have places to go.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
Down here in Florida, we are breathing a sigh of relief....
...and saying prayers for y'all on up the coast.

I was in Norfolk on a USN frigate in the early 80s during one hurricane. I was off on the weekend, and heard a report statng a 'Navy ship had overturned in drydock'..... Mine was the ONLY ship in drydock at NorVa at that time! So I drove in the next morning expecting to see the USS Ainsworth on her side. She was sitting up tall and proud - turned out it was a civilian cruise ship across the harbor that rutned over. News idiot got the story wrong..... :rolleyes:

Last bad storms we have had here in Florida was in 2008. TS Fay did us nastier than the hurricanes - sat on us longer and dumped a LOT of rain!

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
My brother and his family live in lower Manhattan. He and the kids are here in town visiting, but he's heading out tomorrow to go up and get his wife and bring her here.

This could definitely be quite the storm.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My family loves the OBX. We have enjoyed many family vacations in Nags Head and I have been down many times for fishing trips.

I was told years ago the the worst case for them would be a major hurricane whose "eye" traveled up the sound to the west of the banks. Looks like that what will happen.

We have a house rented on the ocean front for the middle of Sept. Surf fishing should be great then, but now..... I don't have any expectations that the house will even be there!

Maybe some of you have been to "Howard's" down in Ocracoke. He has never closed a day since opening the restaurant decades ago. Howard rides out hurricanes with friends on the upper floor of the building along with a few cocktails. But this storm is different. I pray everyone there will survive.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Just got word that the area on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, opposite where I live, just got the order to evacuate. It's about a five minute drive from my house.

I am not getting the warm fuzzies over this...

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Yall be careful and hopefully it won't be as bad as they are predicting.
There are a couple more waves heading this way so I'm sure Florida will get one too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts