Essentials

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by ttony, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ttony

ttony Member

Hi all, as a relative newbie what would you say are the top 5 or 10 essential books or survival reading materials? I've been preparing for a while now - BOV, armaments, etc. but really need to get more up on basic "living off the land" knowledge because I've been a city dweller all my life. Im going to pick up one some John Seymour stuff... but I know theres a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and I defer to your expertise on what you think are the most essential books/readings I should start off with!

Thanks!

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

3. ttony

ttony Member

thanks! ive been checking it out...>!

4. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

Nuclear War Survival Skills - online - free, download the chapters applicable to your circumstances. Chapter 4 Evacuation is very good.

My Side of the Mountain; Robinson Crusoe; Swiss Family Robinson - food for thought, fires the imagination as to what possibilities exist.

Go to the Survival and Gardening sections of your local bookstore and/or Library for titles that I can't think of.

Look for a 60's or 70's edition of the Boy Scout Manual and look via google for downloadable Military Survival Manuals.

There are several good survival manual apps now available for the smart phones.

5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome, the Fox Fire series of books are good, also the British S.A.S. Book is a good basic book

6. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

Welcome, the Fox Fire series of books are good

Great books for the way our ancestors lived. My family is in the pottery section.

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Farnham's Freehold & some of the fanfiction on here are great food-for-thought regarding situations & how to handle them

9. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living - she covers a ton of different subjects and has how-to's, recipes, and more. A great lady, who died too soon.

10. mtnmom

mtnmom Active Member

If you can plan a camping trip to some remote area, it will help you a lot as well. Reality is sometimes the best teacher.

I grew up without all the modern conveniences but even so, planning a couple day camping trip with the family always helps me realize more scenarios to be prepared for.

Plus it's a fun way to get a 'feel' for survival.:)

11. ttony

ttony Member

yeah - a couple of friends and I have started some weekend "camping" trips here and there - more to get used to our gear and practice skills. Definitely good advice!

12. ttony

ttony Member

oh yeah, I put "camping" in quotes because we purposely try to make it hard on ourselves, and sometimes will leave gear like tents, etc. behind, so that we're forced to make-do with whats available in nature, etc.

13. mtnmom

mtnmom Active Member

lol - I remember one time we hiked way up into the mountains and forgot a bunch of the food!

We had about 6 adults and a bunch of kids and we forgot most of the condiments so we had to cook without any grease or butter, and we had stuff like pancakes, eggs etc that we were trying to cook.

We discovered you can get HUNGRY fast and while there are ways to build a shelter, or start a fire, if you are without decent food, it kinda sucks!:eek: