EMP Hit on America Power grid tonight

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Sourdough, Jun 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

There is a special on the National Geographic Channel tonight about the ramifications of a EMP hit on the grid.......Sadly I have no TV......:dunno:

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I DO. And I already have NG on. Just waiting for 10:00 to roll around. :)

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Thanks for the heads up ... too bad that I don't have a T.V. either.

From the National Geographic website:

Read more: Explorer Blog - National Geographic Channel

4. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Nice informative Post, Thanks

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

This show re-airs Saturday at 7 pm (eastern) for those of us that missed it the first time!!

6. townparkradio

townparkradio Family Friendly DJ

Short version of below ramble:

You've got bigger things to worry about.

Long Version:

In the kinds of kv that would cause this, your wristwatch ceasing to function would be the least of your worries. Devices are fairly well shielded against these sorts of things mostly by accident alone. (you might blow out old capacitors, but that's about it) You WOULD likely have to power down the device if it was on though, or else it wouldn't work well. This is not to say EMP phenomenon is false or anything Nat'l Geographic says is incorrect, it is to say they're leaving something out. Mostly you'll blow out power transformers and poorly ground power wires. A few hours with regular work crews re-wrapping copper wires and we'd be back on line. It's not really that huge a threat.

Sorry, I got off topic... at the power levels required to (entirely) blow out small electronics? You've got far bigger problems to worry abut. Odds are your your brain's synapses would be all fried due to the sodium inside being ionized. This could have many unforseen side effects like coma, mental retardation.. amnesia, blah blah blah.. or it might just make you feel uneasy for a while. The effects are varied, and a bigger problem than consumer electronics going kerploof.. I assure you it would drive some people looney. However... in order to cause THIS (the skull is an excellent insulator) you'd first have yet another problem...

All the sodium in your system would be ionized. This would have extremely ugly effects on your circulatory system. This will not kill you, that is correct: but it's going to make you extremely ill quickly. Really it's a fun story gimmick, but the effects are mostly "what was that?" followed by "dispatch work crews to fix that!"

7. townparkradio

townparkradio Family Friendly DJ

...and man I ramble on and on about useless science things a lot, huh?