1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Looks like a good product there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seemed like a whole lot of steps to me. I think you should just put several lighters in your pack and learn more about fire building. Sorry, I am a self sufficientist and can't understand the point of these. They take a lot of cans and tools to make and fuel to burn, all of which have to be bought.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Seemed like a whole lot of steps to me. I think you should just put several lighters in your pack and learn more about fire building. Sorry, I am a self sufficientist and can't understand the point of these. They take a lot of cans and tools to make and fuel to burn, all of which have to be bought.
:dunno: I have all the tools (except the dremel) in my pockets at all times, as for the cans?... I would look at this as something to make with salvaged materials, but I think I might make a different (simpler?) design

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Ive built one similar to this out of aluminum cans that burns alcohol. The best use is when camping and you cant legally have a campfire OR if you want to have a fire in your tent. The alcohol burns clean and doesnt put off smoke (though you would want some ventilation for fumes). I could easily boil water for coffee or similar. They are lightweight and inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Our scouts have made stoves similar to these. Great project.

·
234 Posts
I have multiple ways of using the fuels I store, cooking included. An alcohol stove and a bottle of Heet is small enough and cheap enough that everyone could have it in a BOB. I have several, one of which is at work in case I have to shelter in place there. While all of my office food is edible w/o cooking, the morale booster of a hot meal/drink can't be overlooked. Plus, the DIY supplies for this type of stove are practically free; with the multi-pliers I carry, I can build a functioning stove in a few minutes from found matrials. Alcohol stoves are smokeless, quiet and low maintenance, which rank it high on my list for use post-fan. FYI: for my BOB, I use a soda bottle for fuel storage, as the vapor pressure of alcohol is lower than the pressure rating of the soda which was held in the bottle; just make sure not to confuse your fuel with moonshine if using denatured alcohol as fuel. Of course if your 'shine is strong enough, it can pull double duty!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
It's handy if you have the fuel and you don't have a stove. I wonder if it would be safe enough to use with gasoline.

gasoline is not safe around any fire or flame, the fire comes out to meet the gas fumes and it's just one big explosion.
cooking with gasoline ruins food... but any port in a storm I guess :dunno:

I've buried #10 cans 1/4 filled with gasoline & lit them off underneath brush piles before... not for any practical purpose, just being a kid :surrender:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts