Egg recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by *Andi, Mar 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

All right folks give me your egg recipes ... :D

So we have egg salad (6 eggs) , potato salad (6 eggs) , deviled eggs (6 eggs)

I'm over run with eggs ... I'm looking for recipes using "lots of eggs" ...

Help me out! :D

2. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
    Ingredients

2-3 egg yolks
    1/2 tsp. yellow mustard
    splash white wine vinegar
    1/2-1 Tbs apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    dash garlic powder and paprika, optional
    1 cup EVOO or blend of EVOO and sesame oil or EVOO and virgin olive oil

Thanks!

4. Reblazed

Reblazed Member

A good thick Frittata takes 12 eggs. Custards and rice pudding would use up a few.

5. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Got eggs in the dehydrator as we speak! :)

6. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Egg. Drop. Soup.

It's basically a chicken broth. When it is boil hot, you drizzle in beaten egg while swirling the broth. The broth cooks the egg into little eggy noodles. I heart this very much.

Sometimes you can find a flavoring mix in the Asian section of the grocery store. Recipe: From AllRecipes.com, Tyler Florence, Cooks.com.

Eggs are also good for egg noodles.

French toast.

Custards are good. Spoon bread is halfway between cornbread and custard (Recipes!). I like mine with green chiles and cheese in it... and also served with a nice enchilada sauce.

neil-v1 likes this.
  7. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

8. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Eggs n Rice

4 boiled eggs
    1 1/2 c rice
    2 cans tomatoes
    1 c tomato juice
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 celery stalk chopped
    2 garlic cloves chopped
    1/2 tsp basil
    salt n pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic, green pepper and celery until soft
    put tomatoes, basil and tomato juice in, bring to a boil. turn down heat to simmer. simmer 30 min. cook rice. peal and chop eggs put into tomato mixture. simmer 5 min. Cover rice with tomatoes.

I know 4 eggs is not a lot but this is one of my favorite dishes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Chinese 12-egg cake

Chinese 12-egg cake - Gai Don Go

1 1/2 c. cake flour, sifted
    9 eggs, separated
    1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. water
    1/4 c. oil
    1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites until slightly foamy. Add 1/2 teaspoon cream of
    tartar. Beat again till stiff. Sift together flour, baking powder
    and sugar. Add to egg yolks; add water, oil and vanilla and beat
    until creamy. Pour the mixture over egg whites gently and fold
    until well-blended.

If using a 9 x 13 pan, bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
    If using a tube pan, bake 35-40 minutes, inverting tube pan upside
    down while cooling.

Serve with fruit topping and whipped cream.

----------------------

Chinese sponge cake

1 c Softasilk flour (cake flour)
    1 c sugar
    6 eggs, separated
    1 ts vanilla
    1/4 c cold water
    1/2 ts salt
    1/2 ts cream of tartar
    Preheat oven to 325. Beat egg yolk and sugar till creamy. Stir in vanilla. Add flour and water alternately till mixed well. In a spearate bowl, beat egg white till foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peak. Fold egg white into batter in batches. Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Turn upside-down to cool.
    Because there's no oil in the cake, it does stick to the pan. Just use a knife to careful go around the pan. It helps if you use a pan that has a removable bottom.

10. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Lots of good recipes!:congrat:

I have a pie in the oven, working on egg bread then I think I will try a Chinese sponge cake. (never made one before)

It is the perfect day for baking ... cloudy and cool.

Thanks all and keep them coming!

12. LilRedHen

LilRedHen Well-Known Member

How do you dehydrate eggs?

13. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

What?? are you serious? How the dickens do you put eggs in the dehydrator? How do you store them after they come out and how would you know how much you had in a spoon? goshen, you make my head spin with the stuff you know! ( Dizzy old women is not always a good thing!!):dunno:

14. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's so sweet of you to say so, but seriously, I know nothing - just read a lot. :)

What I did was scramble them up and put them in the dehydrator at its highest temp (mine's 165 degrees) until they were dry and crunchy. Then into the blender to make powder, and finally vac packed in a mason jar. The ratio to rehydrate is about 1:2 (eggs:water) - so 1 tablespoon powdered eggs to 2 tablespoons water.

Sadly, I can't tell you how many eggs that is, just that you can rescramble them, and they tasted okay. If they'd had bacon or sausage bits they would have tasted better, and in a SHTF world they would have tasted great. ;) I've never used them for anything other than scrambled eggs, so I don't know how well they do as part of a recipe. I also don't know the shelf life.

I do want to add that many folks say that dehydrating eggs at home is very, very unsafe, while others say it's perfectly fine. I'm no expert, that's for sure. Another alternative I read about is to scramble eggs and pour into ice cube trays and freeze - one cube equals about one egg. I don't know the shelf life (or rather, freezer life) if they're prepared that way, either - but I think I'll try that next time. :)

15. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Also, look on You Tube. Search for dehydrating eggs. I found a video on there a few months ago that shows exactly what goshengirl just described.

Here is the one I saw [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZTA4AheYNw]How to dehydrate eggs at home Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame] but there are others too.

16. bunkie

bunkie Member

i believe the shelf life for freezing eggs is 6 months, at least that's all i have kept them for...plus a week or two and all've been delicious. i've used them in recipes as well as just thawed and they work great. ours are duck eggs.

one other thing is we put a dash of salt or honey in the eggs to keep the whites from hardening. and mix the eggs lightly so you don't get air bubbles in them.

i have to try your dehydrating method! sounds like a great idea!

17. LilRedHen

LilRedHen Well-Known Member

Got a recipe for bread puddin? I haven't had that stuff in 40 years.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Does omelet count?? We had that for dinner last night---mushroooms, onions, green pepper, and ham!!

19. Onebigelf

Onebigelf Well-Known Member

Scotch Eggs? Wrap hard boiled eggs (yes, peeled) in sausage, roll them in bread crumbs and bake at 350.

Egg Custard?

Quiche?

The holidays is a commin. Eggnog?

John