Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever been trained to eat insects in a survival situation? I'm curious in case I get in a situation where I have no food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any nutritional value in eating insects? It would probably be really hard for my to choke down a bug, but maybe if I knew it had a great nutritional value, it wouldn't be so hard!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Never had to eat one, but from what I have read, stay away from bugs that have very bright colors, obnoxious smells, or extremely bitter tastes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I definitly wouldn't think twice about eating an insect that had an obnoxious smell. What is it about the bright colored ones? Does it mean something specific? I guess you would also want to watch out for the ones with stingers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, okay, so I'll think twice about it.....shoot, I'd probably just tough it out and choke it down if it was the only thing around to eat. They are pretty small afterall! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I definitly wouldn't think twice about eating an insect that had an obnoxious smell. What is it about the bright colored ones? Does it mean something specific? I guess you would also want to watch out for the ones with stingers!
Bright colors in nature usually serve as a warning to predators that the potential meal is toxic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Insects are very nutritious. IIRC, crickets, grasshoppers, worms, etc. are nearly 90% protein. Rip off legs and wings if you like, or any other hard, chitinous, fibrous parts that would just be crude fiber, anyway.

Crickets, IMO, are particularly tasty and remind me a bit of black walnuts. I snag and munch them anytime, just because (and to get a rise out of whoever happens to be nearby ;) ) I fried some in an omelet once, which wasn't great, but it was edible.

The tips on which ones to eat given previously are good. I can think of one exception to the odor rule: squash bugs smell foul, but actually taste like Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. If you're unsure on how it'll taste, just take a little nibble instead of chomping the whole thing.

For more info, Google is your friend
HowStuffWorks "How can I tell if a bug is edible?"

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Are there any kinds of illnesses / diseases that can be contracted from eating grasshoppers?
the risk of getting sick from grasshoppers or crickets in the USA is less than in other parts of the world: gently twist off the head & pull out the digestive tract, do NOT eat that because it could have parasites/worms, roast the rest over an open flame & you can have Cajun Crickets. ^_^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts