Prepared Society Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
I would think that a metal handle would tend to be unwieldy in colder weather if the wrappings were worn & the metal exposed; but a wood &/or bone handle could also slowly conform to the grip of the wielder... correct?

Bringing this one back from the dead, I want to add my favorite land clearing tool. The Woodman's Pal

I have cleared a lot of land with an axe, machete and chainsaw. I have one area that gets overgrown and always took a day to clean out with a machete and a chainsaw. I learned about the Woodman's Pal. It took a bit of thinking before I dropped the money to buy it. The 100% unconditional, money back guarantee helped a lot. I got it and took it out to my nemesis spot to try it out. I was out there for 40-50 minutes and had cleared all of the undergrowth and all I had left was the 6-7 trees which I would need the chainsaw for. I got back inside and the wife asked if it was worth the money. She was concerned when I told her I had spent $130 on a machete and a sheath. I told her to go look at what I had done. She has helped me before and laughed and said "You weren't out long will I see any difference or did you just go outside and play with your new toy." I told her again "Go Look I need a drink of water." She returned speechless, took the woodman's pal outside to see how I could do all that work in that time. She quickly ran out of stuff to cut and chop on and when I came outside she put me to work chopping a tree down with it. I put a 5-6" tree down rather quick. It chops with little effort you can let it do the work. The hook is amazing for cutting vines and briars. Stick it in there hook and pull back and it is cut. I carry it in the tool box on my pickup and it gets transferred to my jeep when we go offroading and camping. It has replaced my axe, machete, chainsaw and hatchet for most camp jobs and a lot of the around the property cleaning jobs not done with a bushhog.

Well worth having around.

I don't have any pics, but my favorite tool is an 18" machete that I customized. Take the original handle off, plastic, wood or whatever. You usually have to cut the rivets. Get a hickory axe handle from Lowes or Home Depot. Cut off the last 18" of the handle, cut it down the middle the depth of the machete handle. Drill some holes and install the machete blade into the axe handle. Use some stainless steel nuts and screws, countersunk into the hickory handle. Now you have a 36" machete that has a hooked "handle" at the end and it now is an extension of your arm. You don't even need to move your wrist to make a very powerful hit with it. Sharpen it good and you have a very efficient and dangerous tool/weapon.

$1 knife

Best Garage sale find ever. Best dollar I've ever spent too. Ontario knives 1-86 with not a scratch on the sharpening stone and no chips or dull spots on the cutting edge. Aside from some light rust stains, it's brand new.

Lots of nice tools being talked about and shown here, I'm wondering if everyone has stones and files to keep them sharpened? I keep both a file and a stone in one of my boxes.

As a knifemaker I'm all about keeping my tools shaving-sharp. Even the hatchet.

Normally, I just do it on my belt grinder with 800 grit, and then buff to polish, but that's no good when the power's out or I'm out camping. So, recently I discovered EDM stones, and carry a selection from 120 to 900 grit. It won't quite get a blade up to shaving, but it will hone any blade I've come across to a nice smooth well-cutting edge in very little time.

I'm wondering if everyone has stones and files to keep them sharpened?
I DO!! I DO!! :)
I also have 2 diamond coated steels. Once you become accustomed to a good sharp knife, it's miserable trying to use anything else.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.