Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by kettleMan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kettleMan

kettleMan Guest

With Easter coming up, I'm sure we are going to have lots of left over hard boiled eggs. How should I store them to keep them for good for as long as possible?

2. modestmoose

modestmoose Guest

Make deviled eggs out of them! Yummm, I love deviled eggs!

3. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Boiled eggs in the shell will keep in the fridge for a week. Also, as a reminder, be sure to keep the eggs in the fridge. If you take them out, leave them at room temp. no longer than 2 hours. If left out longer they need to be thrown away.
    You can also make pickled eggs, if you keep them in the fridge. Sorry, there is not a safe way to can them at home. The commercial industry has special equipment and ingredients to keep them safe.
    Here is a link on making pickled eggs with recipes. They will keep for several months.
    National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

4. BurtB

BurtB Guest

How long will deviled eggs stay good stashed in the fridge for? I've got tons left over from yesterday! I hope the Easter Bunny made his way by everyone's place! :D

5. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Deviled eggs are only good for 2 or 3 days. Better mash them up and have egg salad sandwiches.

6. mona

mona Guest

Pickel your eggs in a vinigar spice solution. Keeps for quite awhile.

7. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

As an alternative to deviling or pickling them, might I suggest chopping a few into a mix of a can of cream of mushroom soup plus a half can of milk (or something comparable), stir in a package of frozen spinach which has been thawed and squeezed, season with nutmeg. Serve over split and toasted English muffins.

8. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

You might suggest this. And I might try this.
    Thanks for the recipe, gonna try it this weekend!

9. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

once deviled (dressed) I wonder can they be frozen?

I eat 2 eggs every day so I have no problems eating up what we have.

just to add to the recipes from that website: when we made ( and I still do it) the red beet eggs we added chopped greens( spinach usually but also dandelion) to the mixture to let them "pickle" along side the eggs. My dad and I would eat those as a side dish ( mom thought we was nuts lol)

10. Genevieve

this thread got me thinking and then I checked and you know that not one grocery store around here has eggs on sale for Easter? isn't that odd? there are always eggs on sale for Easter.

you can get all kinds of artificial eggs and even the food coloring to dye eggs with on sale but not the eggs

11. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

Genevieve,

Frozen hard-cooked egg whites turn rubbery, not at all desirable for eating.

Fascinating that there are no egg sales this week. Fortunately this year we are loaded with our own girls' brown and blue-green eggs. Going to try natural dyes on some of them.

12. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

There was another egg thread up a couple of days ago which I have not been able to relocate. In it someone said that greens such as spinach or dandelion could be added to egg-pickeling juice. I would like to know whether they are to be added raw or are cooked a bit first. Looking forward appreciatively to hearing from you.

13. Genevieve

we just washed them well and then added the raw greens to the juice and eggs. like I said my mom thought we were nuts for eating them lol

14. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll be trying this soon.