Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in East Tennessee, mark your calendars for Saturday, September 24th, 2011.

The East Tennessee Emergency Preparedness Fair will be at the Bearden High School in Knoxville from 10:00am-4:00pm.

THIS EVENT IS FREE TO THE PUBLIC

There will be many classes offered, demonstrations and booths from local and federal assistance agencies.

Additional information will be posted on the website as events are firmed up.

PrepFair.org | East Tennessee Annual Emergency Preparedness Fair

There is also a facebook page set up just look for East Tennessee Emergency Prep Fair.

For those of you outside of the East Tennesse Area, check for similar events in your area. Semptember is National Emergency Preparedness Month.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Thanks Sonny Boy,will do.Last shelter we stayed in was ok until the bathrooms filled up and over flowed.Plus everythign in there was wet from people coming in soaked from strong winds and heavy blowing rain.
Now we leave the state when a hurricane is about to hit.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sonny Boy,will do.Last shelter we stayed in was ok until the bathrooms filled up and over flowed.Plus everythign in there was wet from people coming in soaked from strong winds and heavy blowing rain.
Now we leave the state when a hurricane is about to hit.
I thought prepping dealt with a little more than hurricane preparedness.

BTW, I would never be caught dead in a shelter. I ran a shelter during Erin and Opal years ago.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Frugal_Farmers, is it still called the "rescue squad"?

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FF, have you been to this one, and is it any good? We're not near east TN, but we're looking to go camping after the garden is in, and TN is on the short list...
GG, I went to one of their planning meetings last week. This is the second year they are doing it. Last year was much smaller than it will be this year.

Their primary purpose for this fair is to educate the public on basic emergency preparedness. They will be having multiple ongoing classes during the day. They have 5 classrooms set aside. SO far, they have confirmed the following demonstrations: Cooking without power, Dutch oven cooking, water purification and storage, emergency communications, bread baking, short term food storage, longer term storage, 72 hour kits, first aid.

They plan to have the following classes: childrens sanitation/handwashing, fire safety, storm/severe weather preparation, elderly emergency preparedness, gardening, family emergency communication plans, canning/dehydrating'food preservation basics, Short term food storage, financial preparedness.

They are still finalizing details on other events/demonstrations/ classes.

Not sure what you specifically would be looking for, but we are going for sure. This will be a look and see oportunity for us, but if you decide to go, let us know and we will connect.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I thought prepping dealt with a little more than hurricane preparedness.

BTW, I would never be caught dead in a shelter. I ran a shelter during Erin and Opal years ago.
Well you thought wrong.:eek:. Unless you don't consider a hurricane an emergency.:eek:
Lights out,stores are closed or looted,people are without a home,etc,etc,etc..

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you thought wrong.:eek:. Unless you don't consider a hurricane an emergency.:eek:
Lights out,stores are closed or looted,people are without a home,etc,etc,etc..
Been through a few signifacant hurricane and wasn't trying to downplay the need to prep for hurricances.

My point was that there are so many other potential manmade and natural disasters and emergencies to plan and prep for. That is the whole idea about this prep fair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts