Earthquake in Japan

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by idragrace, Mar 11, 2011.

1. idragrace

idragrace Newbie

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I was also going to post something

Developments after major Japan earthquake | World | News | Calgary Sun

I also heard on the radio this morning that the coast-line of BC up through Alaska and down towards California is supposed to be on the alert for tsunami as well ... I highlighted some of the key pieces of information that really caught my eye.

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

This thing is so huge, it will be a long, long time before we have all the information. This morning I find myself having to balance the desire to know everything with the understanding that more resources are being spent on surviving and recovering rather than reporting.

4. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

Thats some badazzed stuff happening over there..that leaky nuke powerplant sounds even worse..Im afraid theres going to be a huge death toll before this is done

5. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

They have declared a nuclear emergency in 5 plants and three have 1000 time's normal rad's. I think the whole island about to go. Three are melting down right now. The island has sunk some because the wave did not leave. Miles and miles of land is covered in sea now and is staying put not receeding. Now the nuke thing, i feel for those folks over there but it could have been any where in the world today the way thing's are going now, bad times ahead.

6. NaeKid

In today's Calgary sun:

Hard to handle | Life | Calgary Sun

I'll bold a few of the comments in the story, it is kind of amazing what is being written!

It is awesome that something like a little earth-quake can wake up the Main-Stream-Media (MSM) to the real world, not just the Hollywood version where everything is going to be fine by a knight in shining armor! The story tells people to be prepared for 72hrs and how to do it. Now, if only everyone that reads the newspaper will actually take the recommendations seriously and will setup a BOB or GHB.

7. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

It IS great that the MSM is printing something like that!

But it still blows my mind the multitude of people who will have problems just living 'off grid' (independently) for only 72 hours. The overwhelming lack of self-sufficiency in our society is breathtaking.

8. NaeKid

Radiation entering food-chain - affecting unborn and young children.

Direct radiation probably will not affect us "old people" much, but, we need to worry about our young children "eating and drinking" radiation.

Japan radioactivity could enter food chain | World | News | Calgary Sun

It was found during the Chernobyl-blast that radiation levels in normal foods / drinks that children enjoy (like milk) had upto 27 times the normal amounts of radiation. It has been said that the radiation has caused a higher rate of cancer in young children and there have been reports on brain-development issues / problems (like ADD, ADHD) that have been linked with radiation exposure in the womb.

9. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

There are some fake maps out on the net... but this one is legit... it's from the Austrian (AT) government.

[​IMG]

Shows a Cesium 137 plume riding the projected jet stream from 3/12 to 3/18 in a computer model...

I have asked some "official" people I know about US maps with Rad levels, but no one seems to know anything. (I was a FEMA trained radiological monitor for civil defense years ago.)

Tomorrow it will rain 1/4 inch up here in Maine, I'm collecting it in a clean 30" diameter wash tub and filtering it with a laboratory filter and will run 2 of my most sensitive Geiger counters over the filter. I'm curious if any fallout has come over here yet.

I doubt that there is any radioactive fallout yet, but I doubt my government's ability to mobilize in the direction of regional monitoring in time to do something.

How many people here with Geiger counters that can do the same thing? (CDV-700 or more sensitive) - I have a recently calibrated Ludlum "frisker" w/pancake probe.

1. Collect rain in a clean bucket or tub. If you have a rain gage, use it to see how much precipitation came down, or get the values from the local weather agency (airport, etc.)

2. Empty it in a graduated container to measure the volume, -make sure all sediment from bottom comes with it.

3. If you don't have a lab filter, take a coffee filter and pour the water through it instead.

4. Run the probe over the surface of the filter and note any increase in counts (clicks) and readings of the Geiger counter.

5. Report it here in this thread. Try to repeat this with every rainfall for the next month or so.

...lets hope and pray it doesn't get any worse.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  10. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

===============
    OK...

So, I collected the rain from last night and filtered it...

Passed the Geiger counter probe over the fliter, and found NO raised background count YET.

I will continue this for a few months.

11. NaeKid

Thanks for letting us know Basey

12. NaeKid

It is the one year anniversery of the Japan earthquake ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...nniversary-fukushima-residents_n_1326077.html

13. NaeKid

and another report on the 1 year anniversary ...

14. SageAdvicefarmgirl

SageAdvicefarmgirl Well-Known Member

Good posts, plenty to think about...make plans for you and your family...don't leave the planning and "prepping" to the govt.

15. NaeKid

And a continuation of the story ..

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...-water-leak-at-fukushima-to-serious-incident/

Japan may upgrade radioactive water leak at Fukushima to 'serious incident'

16. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Radiated water has nowhere to go

Insight: In Fukushima end-game, radiated water has nowhere to go.
    Mother Nature has a way of healing herself, we have seen that threw out the many natural disasters that have taken place, but manmade mistakes or ignorance’s have damage our world to the point of no recovery, this incident in Japan will be around for many more years and no one will be able to predict for sure its long term effects, probably in our generation. And the funny thing about it is that we continue to play with the unknown.
    http://news.yahoo.com/insight-fukushima-end-game-radiated-water-nowhere-115056515.

17. NaeKid

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-nuclear-radiation-higher-119/

Fukushima cleanup workers’ radiation feared 20% higher

18. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

Have you guys been reading all the horror stories about the Fukushima plant leakage and 'clean up'. If even a quarter of it is true the earth is in big trouble. Is it true that every can of tuna will make a geiger counter go crazy? Is it true three of the reactors at Fukushima have melted down through the earth and have hit the ground water there? Is it true that they are going to try to remove all the rods from the damaged fourth reactor (an almost impossible feat) and a single mistake can then cause an explosion? As is typical it is hard to know what to believe and what is just hype.

19. mojo4

mojo4 Well-Known Member

Yeah but my new toyota is electric with a half life of 5000 years on the battery!! And it glows in the dark. But you can't leave it parked for too long or it melts into the street. But seriously, Japan if friggin hosed for forever. That tidal wave did more to damage Japan than godzilla ever could.

20. ZangLussuria

ZangLussuria Well-Known Member

I just came from Japan today.
    I know some people from Sendai where the Fukushima plant is.
    Will check on how they are.

I was also in Japan 3 weeks after the major quake hit which was when another quake at 7.4 magnitude hit.

Some friends were in Tokyo Disneyland I think.