Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought I would show you my latest experiment. lol
I made kool-aid dyes fixed with vinegar as the mordant.
Then I leave them out in the sun for the day. Hopefully I will get some nice colors going.
I have a plan to make some seriously colorful socks, mitts and hats. :p

**btw I have no idea how to resize these pics so sorry if they are so large. :gaah:

but enjoy! Anyone else do dyeing??? My next thing I want to try is unbleached muslim with kool-aid colors and or food colors and make a bunch of fat quarters for a quilt.
I am currently gathering wild flowers, roots and barks to make natural dyes but need to keep gathering before I can show you all that.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Thanks for posting !!!!!

I use a crock pot for dyeing mine ...also good timing, I'm get ready to dye some more wool. :woohoo:

Can't wait to try it. (*Andi off to the root cellar for jars. ;) lol

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting !!!!!

I use a crock pot for dyeing mine ...also good timing, I'm get ready to dye some more wool. :woohoo:

Can't wait to try it. (*Andi off to the root cellar for jars. ;) lol
LOL
I just took out some spices and dyed with turmeric, cinnamon, yellow onion skins and have tomato leaves simmering which is suppose to give a blue hue. never did tomatoes leaves before. :scratch will see....

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I've never tried tomatoes leaves before (and it wasn't in my notes :idea:) ... look forward to hearing how it turns out! :2thumb:

·
Happy in the hills
449 Posts
My next thing I want to try is unbleached muslim with kool-aid colors and or food colors and make a bunch of fat quarters for a quilt.
Won't they get upset?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Excellent idea, I never thought of koolaid as a dye, but I should have, it stains everything!
Thanks

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Won't they get upset?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Excellent idea, I never thought of koolaid as a dye, but I should have, it stains everything!
Thanks
:eek: :D ROFL
holy moly I didn't realize i wrote that wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
:eek: :D ROFL
holy moly I didn't realize i wrote that wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was tooo funny.........I don't dye wool but just thought I'd mention that I stained fabric ( accidently) with beet juice.........would that work for ya??:dunno:

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
beet juice does work and makes a nice pink color.
As for the tomato leaves... didn't make blue at all! didn't do anything.
I wonder if there are certain tomato plants like cherokee purple or something that make that color. I am gonna research that one. kinda a puzzle.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Here are some recipes I've seen/used:

Purple: purple cabbage, blackberries/black raspberries

Yellow: yellow onionskins and/or turmeric

Brown: coffee grounds

Red: cranberries, beets, crab apple bark or rose hips.

Blue: red cabbage leaves, blueberries, elderberries, red onion skins or hyacinth flowers

·
Registered
16 Posts
...As for the tomato leaves... didn't make blue at all! didn't do anything.
I wonder if there are certain tomato plants like cherokee purple or something that make that color. I am gonna research that one. kinda a puzzle.
i would think that the OSU Blue Tomato or the Blueberry Tomato leaves might make a nice color. their leaves turn a deep blueish purple in the sun.

also, Red Miracle Corn has bright red leaves and the cobs are red. when one cooks the corn, the red color goes in the water, and can be used for dyeing.

great thread!

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some recipes I've seen/used:

Purple: purple cabbage, blackberries/black raspberries

Yellow: yellow onionskins and/or turmeric

Brown: coffee grounds

Red: cranberries, beets, crab apple bark or rose hips.

Blue: red cabbage leaves, blueberries, elderberries, red onion skins or hyacinth flowers
here is a pic of two small amounts of fleece I dyed one with turmeric and the lighter one from strawberry juice.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would think that the OSU Blue Tomato or the Blueberry Tomato leaves might make a nice color. their leaves turn a deep blueish purple in the sun.

also, Red Miracle Corn has bright red leaves and the cobs are red. when one cooks the corn, the red color goes in the water, and can be used for dyeing.

great thread!
OOOO great ideas! :2thumb:

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thought i would share the kool aid colored fleeces i dyed. they are drying now but can't wait to start spinning them! I like dyeing fleece more than spun yarns as you can get interesting effects as different parts of the raw fleece will take more color than another part. kinda cool. lol just the artist in me I guess.... :p

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I love all the different colors !!!!!!!!!

Great job!:congrat:

Right now I'm working with a deep purple and deep red with a blend with "gray". Jacob gives you many shades of gray. (but as a cappy, I love it! :p)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love all the different colors !!!!!!!!!

Great job!:congrat:

Right now I'm working with a deep purple and deep red with a blend with "gray". Jacob gives you many shades of gray. (but as a cappy, I love it! :p)
ooooo can't wait to see. will you post a pic? :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I will try and post some pictures in the morning ... (Storms, pc a little slow right now)

And I love the strawberry juice wool. Very nice!!!:D

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we are in the zone for severe weather tonight thru tuesday sigh
so much rain! my garden is really struggling. I think i might have to figure out a greenhouse type cover for it to keep the rain from pelting it so much.
but with the weather the way it has been , i've gotten alot of spinning done! lol
:p

·
Meoww
643 Posts
ok thought i would share the kool aid colored fleeces i dyed. they are drying now but can't wait to start spinning them! I like dyeing fleece more than spun yarns as you can get interesting effects as different parts of the raw fleece will take more color than another part. kinda cool. lol just the artist in me I guess.... :p

ooooooooooo perdy

·
Meoww
643 Posts
oops 1 to many post

1 - 20 of 50 Posts