Dry Feet and Heels

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by carrymeCarrie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. carrymeCarrie

carrymeCarrie Guest

Other than Vermont Bag Balm, Vaseline, plain olive oil, etc. - what do you think is the BEST product or a list of products for taking care of dry skin? Especially for dry heels on your feet?

Suggestions please? And thank you!

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I get dry feet sometimes but not that badly. I just change my socks a lot and go shoe free around the house as much as possible. I'm not a fan of creams since they make me feel greasy and sweaty.

3. Samoan

Samoan Guest

I happen to really like Mary Kay's Night Emollient creme. Although it's more of a gel. It is really greasy though so I don't suggest it for you Canadian, but if you don't mind the feeling this stuff works wonders. Another helpful tip is to put socks on after you rub on some creme to keep from rubbing off on the carpet or furniture. It really helps it seal it in, as well.

4. Canadian

No sock + cream = slippy feet!

5. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

A Ped Egg to remove dry skin, then use Stridex pads, or something else with salysylic acid, then put on some kind of greasy cream, socks on over that.
    Get the greasiest, cheapest stuff you can find, like Eucerin, but they store brand.
    The Stridex helps slough off the dead skin cells.

6. guyfour

guyfour Guest

I would just soak your feet in water then take a butter knife and scrape the dead dried skin off the top/bottom every day... eventually it will become smoother... I had to do this on the top of my big toes or they turn white

7. HarpeR

HarpeR Guest

Do you have a Ped Egg Lucy? Does it work well? Does it hurt at all?
    Seems like it could be a little painful. Thanks for tip on the strydex pad....didn't know that. Can I substitute it for a pad of astringent such as Sea Breeze?

8. Canadian

Just don't put the butter knife back in the kitchen. Ever!

9. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

I do have a Ped Egg. It only hurts if you rub too fast and cause too much friction, or use it too long to remove too much dead skin. It really does help. Just don't want to use it on the softer skin, only on the heels and I use it on my big toe where I have a callous.
    The Stridex is salysylic acid, not an astringent. It will slough off the dead skin cells, too. Works on elbows, too. As long as the product has at least 2 percent salysylic acid it will work.

10. vikx

vikx Active Member

Eucerin creme works great-buy generic at Wally World. I have had problems for years and use it heavily before bed...if there are cracks in my finger tips, I super glue them, file and am good to work for several days. VK

11. jones34

jones34 Guest

During Night,In a Water put few drops of coconut oil and rose waterr than clean Your feet by dipping Your feet into it clean your Heels and feet with Pumic Stones,this will remove all wanted Dead cells,clean Your nail Properly Pushing back skin under the nails then Put out Your Leg From Water then Wipe it with soft Towel,then apply Vaseline Over the Heels and then Wear a socks sleep,in Morning you can see the changes Your feet will be soft and soothing.

12. gamom

gamom Active Member

Personally putting coconut oil on my feet followed by socks has been the absolute best thing for dry feet/heels for me and my girls. Nothing has ever worked as well as that for me.

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not sure where I found this recipe but I love it for dry feet/heels

Lavender Ointment
    4 T olive oil
    4 T beeswax
    3 T cocoa butter
    2 t lanolin
    10 drops vit. E oil
    15 drops lavender oil

Combine olive oil, beeswax, cocoa butter & lanolin and heat thoroughly in double boiler. Add other ingredients and pour into a jar (I use a jelly canning jar) and let cool before covering.

14. petercheck12

petercheck12 ExCommunicated

First of all Soak feet for 5-10 minutes in a warm foot bath made with 1 cup milk and 5 cups warm water and regularly perform massage the homemade foot scrub in a circular motion into bottoms of feet and also Apply moisturizer thickly on feet. A super-rich moisturizer like cocoa butter, Eucerin or even Vaseline works best.

15. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I know this sounds weird but...Vicks Vapor Rub. Put it on followed by socks. Do this every night at bed time. Oh, and I use the cheap stuff from the dollar stores, it works just as well as the name brand.

16. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

My dad was a veterinarian. His practice for many years centered around large animals so his hands were in and out of water out in the elements. In the winter he had cracks so deep his hands would drip blood from them.

One of his clients brought him bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion and told him to use it first thing in the morning, last thing at night and at least once sometime during the day. Within 72 hours my dad's hands had stopped bleeding and the red, inflamed, cracked look had gone away. Within the week you would never have guessed that he was taking meds for the pain he was in the week before. His hands were almost completely healed.

After that he had a bottle of Corn Huskers in every exam room and sitting on the ledge over every sink at his clinic.

It is not greasy feeling (has no oil in it) and is a lot lighter than most lotions on the market today. I have a huge stash of it. I have really dry skin and winter is awful. I don't know what I would do without it.

ETA: I forgot to say I use it every evening after my shower ... and I use it EVERYWHERE. No more itchy dryness or cracking. I can't prove it but I think it has even kept me from developing those little crows feet that come with "wisdom" (read: age) so far. LOL

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My left foot is cracked as I speak...vaseline and 2 pair socks..it always works; my problem is I'm too lazy to keep it on every day and don't realize I need it till the crack bothers me..

I'll try to be nicer to my feet...soaking in really hot bath water every night doesn't help either.:(

18. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Agree with the soak and scrap method, but we also dry our feet then rub a coat of raw honey on our feet then cover them with two layers of socks. Sit back grab a good book and let the honey work it's magic for about two hours.

After about two hours, go back to the tub and wash the honey off your feet with warm/hot water and dry real good. Repeat this daily for about a week and you will find a big difference.

Also, we never wear cotton socks. They tend to retain moisture and cause problems for us. Find good socks that will wick the moisture and funk away.

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Corn Huskers Lotion is great and getting harder and harder to find in my neck of the woods.

20. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

The generic Eucerin at the dollar store is even cheaper, but yeah, it's great stuff.