Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breakfast of chocolate ice cream and hot coffee I started working on learning to knit socks. With my caffeine and chocolate fix I think I can do it. Just have to learn to get those other 2 needles out of my way. A little awkward at the moment. Any advice out there on how to hold all these needles and keep them out of the way?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like making socks also. I could never keep hold of all those small needles, so I learned the socks on two circular needles method. There are several books that can teach you and I'm sure that Youtube has instructions as well. Doing both socks at the same time really saves time and you know that both socks will be the same size! The socks on two circs and the two at a time are different methods, but both done on two circular needles. I like making socks so much that I'm thinking about getting one of those antique sock knitting machines. I'll have to budget for that since they're pretty pricey, but you can crank a pair out in just a few hours after you learn the mechanics of it.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
An antique sock knitting machines ... Now that would be cool. :2thumb: Need to do a little research.

:thankyou:

·
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked into the sock machine. Wow at the prices. wow...Have found a woman who has them rebuilt for resale. However there is just the two of us so I dont think gary is going to go for a $1000 for one. The one of ebay is gosh um 500$ I think if I remember correctly but I usually stay away from places like that since most are not sold from businesses. And since our cards are usually hit once a year I tend to back off from that kind of buying.

Got to really soulsearch on this one.

Any body out there with a SIMPLE tube sock pattern that I could teach Gary how to do. He wants to knit socks. With as big as his hands are there is no way he could hand 4-5 needles. It is not gonna happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The machines are expensive, but they are all antiques and there are a couple of wonderful sellers on Ebay. They are refurbished and are all made of cast iron. I'm trying to save money to buy one, but it will be a while. They take some patience to learn to use them, but wow.....sock after sock just cranks out of those things. There is actually a group here that meets once a month for a "crank in" to sit together and make socks. You can also make double thick scarves, etc. Anything that you could make out of a tube.

In order to make basic tube socks, you either have to use the double points, Magic Loop or two circulars. Those are the only methods I know of that result in knitting in the round. If anyone know another one, please correct me. I know a lot about knitting, but not everything!!

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I saw the "Doublepointed Needles" topic and thought I would see what this was all about.

I was wondering if it was some kind of "self torture sewing things",:dunno: oh well, curiosity satisfied, sorry for the disruption.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Actually, Davarm, in my opinion, double pointed needles are a self torture device!!
:lolsmash::lolsmash::lolsmash:

I was thinking the same thing! Thanks for the smile.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
you guys are funny! lol well one way for big hands to do a pair of socks is the smaller circular knitting needles. the ones you make sleeves with. I have done socks that way often however i am impatient lol so i do the magic loop way as i can do a pair at the same time. :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can also do pant legs this way, I love making wool knit pants for my littles like that bc it makes it so I don't have to count rows to make the legs even.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts