Dogs doing their job or should they be put down?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SurviveNthrive, Dec 5, 2010.

1. The dogs should be put down, even if they're in their own yard, dealing with a trespasser.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have no opinion either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This boy was trespassing, the dogs were in their yard. Cite the boy.

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  4. I like Diet Cherry Pepsi. Diet Cherry Pepsi never bites anyone and it's so darn perky.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Kid had ta climb a fence ta get in the yard. Dogs did not attack him till he be on there property. Don't see no way it's the dogs fault.

3. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Whole situation stinks - not much blame to assign

Bad situation. Nobody can win here, and I don't think there is a lot of blame here (on the surface, unless these dogs are known dangerous).

#1 Dogs shouldn't have attacked a child. They know (or a good dog knows) the difference.

#2 Kid (obviously) shouldn't have climbed the fence. But he's a kid, just wanted the ball back it sounded like, didn't think about danger.

#3 If you are going to have THREE BIG dogs get kennels for them, a taller fence, or be out with the dogs. Or let your best behaved dog in the yard and kennel the other two. Especially if kids play nearby. Ed Frawley (Leerburg kennels - I really respect him as a dog trainer) preaches about the dangers of having a dog pack, and the added responsibility. It just makes sense to go the extra mile in this case. Better safe than sorry, an ounce of prevention, etc.

I hope they don't put the dogs down.

Legally, as far as I know, if it's a child and your dog (even on your land), it's YOUR fault as the dog's owner. Which is stupid IMHO.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

from experience I can tell you that child gangs are much much worse (vicious, devious) than adult-only ones, they have to be to survive

I mention gangs because while working security many is the time that I have seen, 1st-hand, kids use the old 'ball over the fence' trick/excuse if they get caught on premises. I am not implying this child did anything of the sort, but obvious security (dogs, cameras, high fences) make tempting targets... after all people don't protect nothing do they?

Blaming the animals/owners for this would set a dangerous precedent for people seeking to "win the ghetto lottery" (lawsuit)... do something stupid/rash/dangerous/illegal on somebody else's property? it must be their fault.

5. truecarnage

truecarnage andy

When I was a young boy about 3 foot tall a German Shepherd from several houses down got out into the front yard somehow, ran me down and ripped out the back of my right leg. Now knowing what you do about me here is the long answer, I could not see how tall or what kind of fence the dog owners had but if the owners went to reasonable measures to keep someone from wandering in the yard and getting hurt then neither the owners nor the dogs should be held responsible. That said I personally love dogs and don't see dogs as protection devices but as pets and companions.

6. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

"I personally love dogs and don't see dogs as protection devices but as pets and companions."

Most dogs don't need to be trained to attack. They are pack animals. They will, most of the time, protect the pack (family and home).

It's a shame the kid was hurt, but could you blame a driver if he climbed a fence, ran out onto a highway and was hurt. At some point we need to be responsible for our actions.

7. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

How about the boy's parents responsibility. Why didn't they tell the boy to stay out of the yard that has the dogs?

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I understand not everyone is the same, but when I think about this case, at that age, I certainly didn't go into anyone else's yard uninvited, fence or no fence, I certainly understood a fence is a barrier, and there's no way I'd jump a fence when there is a dog or three dogs on the other side...

I'm wondering if this child was special needs.

9. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Not to offend anyone (I have a family member on the spectrum and my wife is a one on one para-professional) but these days most children just seem to need a special butt whooping. I agree with BC. Where where the parents. Too many kids don't respect authority today. Again it could have been a highway, river, train track, electrical outlet etc.
    My 2 yo rottie mix is playful, goofy and full of kisses, but God have mercy on anyone who roughs up a family member. We can't have an argument over the phone w/o him coming to see what is going on. They understand mood and tone of voice.

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It could be that the dogs were usually inside, or maybe not even out in the backyard, normally. Maybe the boy was new to the neighborhood. Maybe he'd met the dogs before and they were always friendly. Maybe his friends dared him.

There's much we don't know.

11. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

And maybe he should take responsibilities for his actions. All actions have consequences. Some good and some not so good. The sooner he learns this the more trouble it will save him in the future.

12. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

To clarify I didn't say the dog owner was at fault in my opinion. I said legally, as far as I know, right or wrong, if a kid gets bit by your dog even on your property, it's your fault. I think that's so stupid it's unbelievable - kids can be very mean, and crap happens (like a playful child and an old, sleeping dog).

And yes, a lot of kids need a good butt-whoopin. Some kids more than others (I have one of them). But I bet there is more to this story.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Well, IMO, it can't be considered to be the fault of the dog owners. The dogs were contained within a 6' tall chainlink fence. Not only would it be pretty much impossible for the dogs to jump it and escape, at the time of the attack the dogs were inside the fence, in their own back yard where they should have been. If the dogs weren't legally licensed and/or didn't have their shots, the owner would be in violation of the law...for THOSE offenses.

I haven't been able to find follow-up news stories on the internet. I was hoping to see an interview or something where the boy might say what he was thinking when he climbed that fence. He surely could see through the fence, so one would think he knew the dogs were there. But it's all speculation, and if anyone has seen further stories with more information, it would be interesting to know.

14. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

They need to pass a law that says if you are hurt on anyone elses property the owner of the property is not legally responcible in any way. You were not forced to go onto the property and by going onto the property you in a way sign a waiver. Just MHO

15. Calebra

Calebra Well-Known Member

Kid got onto someone else's property.Now we're making a desition what to do with someone else's dogs. Of course it's for the safety and good of all of us.
    Now if that establishes as a precident what's to stop us from making a "for the safety and good of all" decition about my neighbor driving a truck that's too big or a gun that's just not neccesery or offensive words that might lead to violence.It's a very slippery slope.
    I don't see the dogs doing anything wrong. I can understand how the kids parent can feel and I'd probably want to do something to the owner of the dogs if I was in their shoes. But to assume I have the right to infringe on someone else's rights and freedoms only because I was too damn stupid to teach my kids how to deal with dogs? If those dogs attacked the kid on the street I can understand the issue but in this case? Total bull--but I lived in Seattle--those dogs will be put down simply because of the breed they are.