Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best warning and protecting you can have are dogs for you and donkeys for your farm animals.
All the dogs have to do is warn us we can handle it from there.We teach the dogs not to bark at the moon or other dogs.We use to have large dogs but cost a lot to feed,now they are medium size after our large went to doggy heaven.Females are the best,they don't piss on plants and once fixed stay home.They are more protective too.
Jennys are the best for guarding,very territorial.My jenny would chase anything that came into the pasture or yard that did'nt belong here.She even kicked a mans Cadilac fender when he drove in,must not have liked the color.Donkeys don't eat much,can be trained to harness and buggy,work in fields.

Of course you have to let them get use to the animals they protect.One farmer put them in with goats without proper introducign them first,goats were out of the fence every morning.Come to find out the donks were tossing them over the fence at night'did I tell you how smart they are,and sneaky?].

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How? (I have a hyper barker.)
Persistance! Scold them when they bark at other dogs and animals or cars passing by.Praise them when they bark at those too close to the fence line or coming in.Teach them the word no and' its ok'.

This means getting up all during the night for awhile.Soon they know when to bark.

Others may have better ways to train them,this is what works for us.

i have been known to throw potatoes at them after a few sleepless nights.[ I have a good aim,I played womens softball up till age 50.]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts