Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oct. 31 - Nov. 5 doe season is open. Limit 6. Hope I get a chance to get into the woods. All we get this year we will dress ourselves and can.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I want to try to do that this year. I have never really needed to but now I feel the need do. You may do this a lot, but a lot of people don't, but we know it is possible because canned meat can be bought at the store. This is a blanket message to everybody. Be careful with canning meat. My cousin did it and she liked to killed everybody on the next hill from me. She used a water bath canner, which is a no-no. Pressure cooking raises the boiling point of water and allows you to get a higher temperature to kill the bacteria. Follow the canning instructions and maybe err on the side of caution, by cooking a little longer. Good luck on your deer hunting, Clarice. I have already been eating fresh, deep fried deer steak, but I can't reveal my source.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had deer steak night before last. Yum,yum. When canning any meat or any recipe with meat in it such as chili or stew or soup, you must use a pressure canner, 10# pressure for 90min. To keep my vegies from being overcooked I can meatless chili, soups, and stews and add a jar of canned meat when heating for dinner. Talk about easy a meal in 10 minutes and so tasty.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I want to try to do that this year. I have never really needed to but now I feel the need do. You may do this a lot, but a lot of people don't, but we know it is possible because canned meat can be bought at the store. This is a blanket message to everybody. Be careful with canning meat. My cousin did it and she liked to killed everybody on the next hill from me. She used a water bath canner, which is a no-no. Pressure cooking raises the boiling point of water and allows you to get a higher temperature to kill the bacteria. Follow the canning instructions and maybe err on the side of caution, by cooking a little longer. Good luck on your deer hunting, Clarice. I have already been eating fresh, deep fried deer steak, but I can't reveal my source.
The other caveat when canning meat, heat it thoroughly before tasting or touching it when you cook what you have canned!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oct. 31 - Nov. 5 doe season is open. Limit 6. Hope I get a chance to get into the woods. All we get this year we will dress ourselves and can.
We are in muzzle loading season this week. I can not convince DH to kill the does for the most part. He wants horns! And will wait until the last few days to kill a doe because he doesn't want to waste his tags. Never mind the fact that deer are so thick down at our farm that SIL cannot grow any type of flower or shrub.

When ya'll can deer, do you tenderize it or not? And do you brown it first with no flour? How do you do it? I haven't canned any deer yet, but want to this year.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
When ya'll can deer, do you tenderize it or not? And do you brown it first with no flour? How do you do it? I haven't canned any deer yet, but want to this year.
I raw pack mine ... cut into 1 inch cubes, put in jar and can. Some people add salt and/or water ... I do not. (Pressure canner only)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
This will be the first season I've missed in 38 years! damn! and it will show in the freezer, maybe the LOTM will buy tags and I can help her fill them..with advice of course ...

BUT! next year I won't leave MT until after season is over... hopefully an Elk will trip over me and break it's neck! lots of meat!!...

Does are the best eating Bucks in rut are not good eating and I can say with total honesty you can not cook the rack long enough to eat it... plus.one Buck will breed many does ensuring a future crop..

I've ever shot an animal to hang it's head on my wall.. not opposed to it, just not my bag...

Good hunting to all!!..

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't look for wall hangers either. I am more of the "first available" type. Would you rather eat a young cow or an old bull? Big racks don't necessarily mean a deer is old. A guy here had 25 bucks in a pen and none were over two years, and some had racks and some were spikes, which goes back to genetics. They could flat footed jump a 12' fence if you got after them. That is why you can't have a garden around here. Dad has it figured out, they have not got in his for many years now.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I raw pack mine ... cut into 1 inch cubes, put in jar and can. Some people add salt and/or water ... I do not. (Pressure canner only)
I raw pack (in water) also but I do add a pinch of sea salt to each jar. Table salt will make your broth cloudy. I used table salt when I first started canning meat and veggies. It doesn't affect the taste that I could tell but it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We cut, wrapped and froze a doe last Sunday and had venison fillet minion (sp?) last night. We marinade the meat in water, onion powder and garlic powder for a few hours, then clamp it in a double rack, remove the eye from the cook stove and broil it over very hot hardwood coals, basteing it with butter. Dang! I get hungry just thinking about it. :)

Of all the meats we can, we like venison the best. We dice it then lightly brown it in peanut oil, pack and add just a little water, a tsp of beef stock then pressure can at 10lbs for 90 min for quarts, 75 for pints.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CVORNurse, I don't tenderize my steaks when canning as the process will do this for you. I do brown mine on all sides (no flour) as it looks better in the jar. If I have it I will add beef broth but if not plain water.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I raw pack (in water) also but I do add a pinch of sea salt to each jar. Table salt will make your broth cloudy. I used table salt when I first started canning meat and veggies. It doesn't affect the taste that I could tell but it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing.
Thanks for the tip. :beercheer:

Well the season is in full swing. Total of 5 down ...

Me ... 1
Hubby ... 1
Son ... 3

Life is good ... :flower:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Thanks for the tip. :beercheer:

Well the season is in full swing. Total of 5 down ...

Me ... 1
Hubby ... 1
Son ... 3

Life is good ... :flower:
Was that 6 tags between all of you? or each? In MT we can usually buy over the counter doe tags in some areas , up to 6 per person ..usually Wht Tails does but can also put in for excess Mulie doe tags, 6 works for me..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Two more does in the freezer. Gotta love those bonus tags. Payback time :D. They eat my pasture and the took about a forth of my 1/4 acre sweet corn patch. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Was that 6 tags between all of you? or each? In MT we can usually buy over the counter doe tags in some areas , up to 6 per person ..usually Wht Tails does but can also put in for excess Mulie doe tags, 6 works for me..
As a land owner in Virginia, we can hunt our land with no tags or license . As long as we hunt what is in season. ~ firearms and archery. (six deer per person ... each season)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
As a land owner in Virginia, we can hunt our land with no tags or license . As long as we hunt what is in season. ~ firearms and archery. (six deer per person ... each season)
That is awesome !! being able to hunt on your own land with no "tax's" from the state to do so!! The way it should be everywhere !

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
That is awesome !! being able to hunt on your own land with no "tax's" from the state to do so!! The way it should be everywhere !
Yes, It is awesome ... now if we can get the no hunting on Sunday law changed ... we will be up town.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I am just getting into hunting, and so far had no luck. I go to my BOL at my buddies house in WV, I dont hunt in MD cause I've got issues with my state and wont contribute more to the state coffers than absolutely necessary. It cost me almost $200 for an out of state license, but totally worth it.

Bad story: On the last weekend of deer season, we planned on going out before dawn on Friday. We get out to his house Thursday night, and Im playing with their dog, and a fluke accident earns me a scratched cornea. OUCH! Had to go to the ER, and spent the weekend in my camper, blindfolded, drugged up, and miserable.
Its fine now, and since theres a split season it reopens for the last few days of the year. I've already taken off work, and my and my buddy are damn hungry cause weve got NOTHING, zilch, nada this season.
Before deer season opened we went varmint huntin, spent 6 hours trudging thru the woods, and didnt see anything worth shooting. We did see a deer at least.
The three days we went deer hunting I didnt even fire a shot. Ugh.
I will get something this time. Dammit, I will.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts