Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in my travels tonight. Kudos to the doc. :beercheer:

Doctor as renegade -- accepts cash, checks, eggs or pie, not insurance | Minnesota Public Radio News

Osakis, Minn. - Dr. Susan Rutten Wasson sits on the corner of a bed in the cramped bedroom of Alice Johnson, a 91-year-old Osakis resident everyone calls "Grandma Alice." She's examining Johnson's arm, which is swollen, she's determined, because of a tight sleeve cuff.

Also in the room are Alice's daughter, Ione, and granddaughter, Anne, who lives downstairs in the farmhouse Johnson has occupied for decades. A Rottweiler mix as big as a Shetland licks the face of 18-month-old Sarah, Rutten Wasson's daughter, who sits on the doctor's lap.

It's more a scene from the days of frontier medicine than from the modern health care system. And that's because Rutten Wasson, 42, is a throwback to a time before HMOs, electronic health records and hospitals with fountains in their lobbies. She sees patients the same day they call if she's not booked up, spends at least a half-hour per visit - compared to the more typical 15 minutes - and usually charges only $50 for a consultation. She takes cash or check, but no insurance - and sometimes accepts gratuities of a dozen fresh eggs or a pie...

...Compared to other doctors, says Rutten Wasson, "I don't waste anywhere near as much time on paperwork. Yes, I do other things. I take out my own trash. I clean my own instruments. I clean my own toilets." She prefers this to working within the insurance system. "I'm autonomous. I don't let third-party payers or clinic staff get between me and the patient."

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool!!!

But I can see the gobbermint coming along telling them they can't do that ...
I was thinking that same thing as I read the article! Some other doctor that IS in the system will complain to a bureaucrat that he is losing patient's so this girl will get some phoney, trumped up charge and be shut down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts