Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the craziness about to happen do you guys think we could experience an immediate collapse requiring a need to use this last week to prep wisely? I know our economy will collapse I just wish I knew how fast and how soon.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
With all thats going on I know I should be doing more -- there is no time to waste.

Its funny cause I feel like I know something will eventually happen unless things change but I never feel like 'its going to be this month'... probably a little bit of me that says 'its not gonna happen' even when I know it has to if nothing changes.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
I don't think it's gonna happen in August.

Slow & steady wins the race. Do what you can do with the time & money you have then leave it in God's hands.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
With all thats going on I know I should be doing more -- there is no time to waste.

Its funny cause I feel like I know something will eventually happen unless things change but I never feel like 'its going to be this month'... probably a little bit of me that says 'its not gonna happen' even when I know it has to if nothing changes.
I feel the same way....it will happen, but slowly...big cities will go first...rural areas will suffer but survive...I always thought it would be immediately, but now, not so much...The catylist that will start the decline is when the nuke issue with Israel and Iran collide...Not these incredible dum asses in congress with the leader of the free world...:mad:

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
The leader of the free world being the biggest!

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I'm gonna have to say yes. All of this debt ceiling talk is all crap, theyre gonna have to do something, but by the time they do, our debt may already be downgraded, or the ratings companies, as in the pockets of the oligarchs as they are, may just downgrade us anyway as they should.
We cant borrow money in perpetuity.
Theres going to have to be some drastic cuts at some point, and as much as I hate gubt spending in the first place its gonna have a huge effect on at least some people. When it comes down to it, that money does end up in the hands of the little guy at some point.
There would be easy ways to cut spending now, without resorting to "cutting SS" and scaring the hell out of people.
Lets see, stop bombing 5/6/? countries at once, and bring them home. From everywhere. End the war on drugs. Fire congress?

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Lets see, stop bombing 5/6/? countries at once, and bring them home. From everywhere. End the war on drugs. Fire congress?
I'm with you!:2thumb:

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I'm gonna have to say yes. All of this debt ceiling talk is all crap, Fire congress?
Have you ever, in the history of our country, seen or heard such a charade relative to the budget?

It is a f***ing game. We are being distracted, played with, and prepared for something else.

I believe that the games and scripts have been written for our leaders by the REAL people in control.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Have you ever, in the history of our country, seen or heard such a charade relative to the budget?

It is a f***ing game. We are being distracted, played with, and prepared for something else.

I believe that the games and scripts have been written for our leaders by the REAL people in control.
I dont want to believe this, but its kinda hard not to at least think about it.

And no, I havent heard anything like this.

Look, theres something shiny over there...
Who am I quoting? I am not taking credit for it...

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I don't think it's gonna happen in August.

Slow & steady wins the race. Do what you can do with the time & money you have then leave it in God's hands.
Agreed.

I do think it helps my family understand the need to prep, helps them be more supportive of my need to 'step it up.' I think it's a little ways off just yet, but we are getting closer every day.

Our credit rating is going to be downgraded no matter what. We're spending too much, period. Raising the debt limit doesn't change that (and the cuts that both sides are talking about don't do the trick).

Weedy, I know where you're coming from (I've seen your other posts), and I've gotta hope you're wrong.... :cry:

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
August no, but it is coming.

The deficit really has no meaning. It is based on a fiat money system, which is based on debit. They can raise it all they want we never stand a chance of paying any of it back anyway. The gubmint isn’t going to cut any of their spending, that would lead to unemployment and that is not good for elections. We’ll see some smoke and mirrors about cutting this and cutting that but it isn’t actually cutting any spending, it is the shell game. One example of ‘cutting spending’ is the idea that we will get out of Afghanistan and Iraq next year. This saves $X and can be applied to savings! Or cutting spending!!! They do not mention that our regular troops will be replaced by mercenaries that we will have to pay, that is not taken into the figures as it has not actually happened yet. They most likely will also increase ‘humanitarian aid’ to those countries to help them since we are not there anymore. Read around and see how much money cannot be accounted for already, and we will be giving them more! Many calculations are based on today’s dollar, not taking into account inflation, or taking into account the ‘experts’ calculated rate of inflation. They have done pretty good so far since they predicted the end of the ‘recession’ and predicted gains in employment, eh? They will pay more but the figures they use are based on the higher value of the dollar. It is all a game.

I see heavy inflation coming. Too much debit, inflate it away! This means the ‘cost’ of everything in the US, in US dollars, is going to skyrocket. No idea how long it will last but I planned on a year. You will have the same income but prices are going to keep going up and up. I stocked up on sundries as well as food. We all see prices go up and containers containing less and less. Any dollar you spend on supplies today is going to save you another dollar next time you need to buy it.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
I also don't have a feeling that August is going to be "it". It's all political posturing and trying to figure out how to manuveur it to screw the other party in the elections next year. Also a bit of kicking the can too. Like most of the other gov shut down threats they'll do a last minute deal or some other stop gap measure. They can't afford to upset the portion of the population relying on the them. Just think how many votes they'd lose if social security got stopped for awhile. (ignoring the underfunded situation it is currently in)

·
Registered
983 Posts
You guys are right. It is all smoke and mirrors. I don't think it will be August but within the next 6mo.-to a year. We are being set up for a big fall by the powers that control our elected officials. Prepare for the worst and Pray for the best.

·
803 Posts
Hmmm I never stop prepping.....don't wait till the last minute.....

Don't know when it will happen. That's why I continue to be diligent in my preps...

Jimmy

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
August...maybe. They always seem to reach a last-minute compromise but one of these times our "bluff" might be called and it will fall apart. Regardless, prices have been climbing steadily and in our area it seems to be making steeper climbs.

We took out what cash reserves we thought we could spare and/or make up over the fall and went Monday and bought the things we had on our list to buy, spaced out, over the fall. We figured it was things we planned to buy anyway and the prices might be higher later. If it falls apart in August we'll be sitting here that much better off. If it doesn't, we'll make up what we spent and keep on prepping as we can.

There are a lot of things on the horizon to be uneasy about. The National debt thing is one of them, the economy and housing/job crisis are others. The elections next year are going to be a real pain, in the midst of the weak economy and the bickering and fighting among the political parties. During the campains will be a good time to hunker down and leave the TV off! I think we'll see a new low in political savage attacks on opponents. That'll cause more stress and loss of morale in an already downcast nation.

It's a gamble. August...or not August? Dunno, but we stacked the deck more in our favor, just in case.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
With all the craziness about to happen do you guys think we could experience an immediate collapse requiring a need to use this last week to prep wisely? I know our economy will collapse I just wish I knew how fast and how soon.
I think that's a possibility. I think it's more likely that there will be shocks to the economy following a downgrade of US debt and it's affects on the stock market. Still, I would feel better if I had my year's supply of water and kerosene right now.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the projected budget deficit for 2010 is $1.294 trillion although other estimates place it at $1.6 trillion.

United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the Heritage Foundation, unfunded liabilities for last year alone were $5.3 trillion with total unfunded liabilities of $61.6 trillion.

Federal Government's Debt, Unfunded Obligations Grew Rapidly Last Year

So with maybe $2.3 trillion in income and $8.9 trillion in spending and unfunded liabilities we're past the point of no return. Anything less than cutting 3/4 of government spending is just slowing down the Titanic on the way to the iceberg. The destination doesn't change. Just the time. That makes me want to speed up my prepping...

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
This is what is going on in Congress!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts