Do sheeple see preppers??

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Tirediron, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Do sheeple even notice preppers? OR do they just think the big load of groceries is for a big family, or that you are some kind of hillbilly that only comes to the big city once in a blue moon (and if they think that about me they would be fairly correct) Do they even notice? are they too wrapped up in what the royals or the pro sports or hollyweird is doing to even see a prepper??:scratch

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I am a prepper and I have a large family. I rarely get comments about the amount of food I buy. At Aldi's and Sam's Club it is not unusual at all to buy in large amount. I only get eyebrows at Walmart once in a while.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I also thought about that a few times..but, think of those homes for elderly, and also, I had a daycare/preschool for 4 years..I bought bulk.

Noone ever asks me or even notices; now, cashiers don't like me; but, my smile and bubbly personality wins them over EVERY time...:ignore:

4. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I think people notice and like me they always do this.
    When I see people with a couple carts full of edibles, the first thing I look at is theitems, are they healthy storable foods or just few cases of soda and chips,candy bars ect?. the next thing is how they pay for the stuff, food stamps or cash. I notice preppers most always use cash.

5. SaskDame

SaskDame Well-Known Member

We do most of our buying at bulk food stores, so everyone there is pretty much buying bulk, or case lots.

6. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

We walked out of Sam's last Monday with 600# of rice and 300# of sugar all in 50# bags on flatcarts with some other bulk stuff and nobody batted an eye...

If someone followed me out to the pickup in the parking lot and wrote down my license plate number, I might worry.

7. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

They have cameras for that now. No need to chase you into the lot or follow you home. :)

8. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

My mom told me I could not do that on her Sam's Club card. She did not want them knocking on her door if things went south! She has got phone calls from Sam's in the past, over the peanut butter stuff, because she purchased it there and it was recalled. So she knows they keep a list of everything you buy from there.

9. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

This is why you use disposable debit cards from Walmart or something that you just buy like a gift card and load money to it right at the cash register

10. wolfrem68

wolfrem68 Member

Food for thought

It truly would not matter if you used a credit card or cash at Sam's Club. You are tracked and what you purchase is noted each purchase since you have to show your Sam's card at check out time. Unless you give false information at time of getting the card - they have all your personal info. Just a thought.

11. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Tirediron, I'm a hillbilly to, an folks don't really notice anythin different bout us cause we generally buy the same amount each time we go.

Cashiers all know us an never even ask questions lessin we got less then usual!

Regular folk er to busy textin somebody ta care what's goin on around em. I can usually spot somebody with either a big family, a daycare er who has a couple a brains an be puttin some food back.

Now right before a storm ya can tell the folk what ain't prepared cause there tryin ta buy everthin! Were perty much set up fer next years storms already an it keeps gettin better ever week.

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Irritated: Sam's more or less deals with all cash. You are required to buy a membership to shop there for an annual fee and they scan your membership card every time you ring out at the register. They don't need credit cards etc to track you; they can do it in house.

We belong to Sam's and my folks to Costco, which basically works the same way, but I don't like this system at all. It's creepy.

13. unclebob

unclebob Well-Known Member

I bought 7 packages of 3 boxes strike anywhere matches today at the farm store.
    You would have thought it was a crime.
    I was asked "what in the world I needed that many for."
    The lady may just have been nosey but it was werd.
    I simply said half of them was for a friend that can't find the strike anywhere type in his area.

14. SaskDame

SaskDame Well-Known Member

'Round here we are considered weird, so they pay little attention to what we are or are not buying most of the time. Occassionally someone will ask about a particular product and what we use it for, such as my asking what the discount on a pallet of sugar would be.

We also split purchases between a number of bulk stores to spread the tracking out a bit.

15. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

If Sam's wants to track, I'm not worried either... my ol' lady has a caterer's license and her Sam's card is the "Business" level with more priveleges. The 600# of rice could have been for a Chinese New Year's bash for all they know :D

16. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I've never heard comments from strangers before, only family. When I happen to be shopping with my Mom or sisters, they just roll their eyes at me. The cashiers are never happy with me, especially during the annual "can can" sale. I just make sure I do all the bagging so they don't hate me as much!!

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

In my area we have a lot of ranches that are any where from 15 to 40 miles out of town so it's kinda normal to see a couple with two or three shopping carts full. It's the same for the next three towns to the south (Redmond and Bend are much bigger cities, Bend is 50 miles south). We used to, and will again this year, wait till we got our taxes back and go to the discount/bulk store in Bend. For about three months about 50% of there customers are doing the same thing. The cashiers don't mind cause with our counties unemployment rates running around 15% for the last three years, we're there job security.

18. kolob

kolob Member

There are a number of polygamous families that live near here and the men all dress alike with long sleeve shirts. When I need to make a large purchase I wear a long sleeve shirt.

19. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

One of the advantages to being single, I can buy for four and look "normal." Nobody gives my cart a second glance. That said, I think I could purchase for the whole of Cox's army and still not get a second glance.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

20. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I was at a thrift store the other day. I saw a man with a cart FULL of lanterns and oil lamps along with candles. I gave a thumbs up and smiled.