Discovery's "The Colony" is Casting for Los Angeles Survivalists

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by tks90046, Mar 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tks90046

tks90046 Guest

Discovery's hit series, "The Colony" is casting for Season 2 in Los Angeles. We are looking for the following types of people:

- Virologist/Bacteriologist
    - Someone in the medical field
    - Housewife
    - Pairs (any two people in some way connected to each other)
    - Electronics Engineer
    - Mechanical Engineer

"The Colony", deemed a "social experiment", is a groundbreaking, critically acclaimed docu-reality series that explores what would happen to survivors of a suburban American neighborhood left reeling in the wake of major catastrophe. We are casting for resourceful, ambitious, ingenious people who possess the skills required to rebuild a society. All applicants must possess skills such as mechanical, hunting, fishing, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, medical, animal tracking, plant knowledge, etc. (these skills do not necessarily pertain to the housewife)

Casting ends soon so please contact: [email protected]. Please include your name, contact #, photo and why you would be a great fit for The Colony!

Filming begins at the end of March for 10 weeks.

2. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

I've never met a housewife who wore pearls and high heels while washing dishes like June Cleaver. I have met plenty of them who can fix a leaking pipe, change their car's oil, clean a fish or gut a deer, wire their own houses, or use medicinal herbs for their children's ailments (and also know several engineers who can't do any of these).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010

3. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

You mean to tell me they are going to make another season of that show.
    I was able to stand 1 and a half episodes and then turned it off.
    Stupid comments like the colonist haven't been told the outsiders can't hurt them.
    No kidding, it's a stupid TV show.

4. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

the revolution will be televised

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

If it brings preparedness into the fore front I see it as positive. I watched the first season with some amount of interest. It wasn't the greatest but it was better than a lot of the dribble out there.

6. backlash

I never saw a single person on that show who was prepared for anything.
    They "found" everything conveniently placed for them to discover.
    The first show there was a big sign that told them where to go with an arrow pointing the way.
    Off camera experts to advise them and enough stuff left for them to build anything they needed..
    The only thing they had to survive was putting up with all the staged BS.
    In real EOTWAWKI they would have been road kill the first time the bad guys showed up.
    Bikers would have taken their food,water,and women and that would have been the end of it.

7. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I would say the best show dealing with survivalism has gotta be Bear Grylls. The man's a damn tank for god's sake.

I can tell you in TEOTWAWKI I would want to be saddled up next to Bear over anyone from the real world...err the colony

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

My wife is a stay at home mom. I guess that makes her a housewife. SHe has taught me, among countless other things, to 1)gut a deer 2)shoot pistols, and 3)install replacement windows in our home. She does not own a pair of heels and in the 3 years we have been together I have seen her in a dress twice: once as Matron of honor for her best friend's wedding, and the other time when she married me. We really don't care for The Colony either, actually. Only watched it a little bit and that was enough.

9. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Well, let me say....

I am a very conservative Christian woman (with a past, so just ignore the tattoos). I wear dresses and skirts only. I am working part time due to my husbands hours being cut. I was a stay at home mom for years.

I can out shoot my husband. I taught him how to use a muzzle loader and to melt down lead and make his own bullets for it (and to make fishing sinkers). I can reload shells. I fish and used to hunt (years ago with my dad). I can cook and can foods. I can lay brick and block. I can do a little plumbing. I have helped my husband rebuild more carbs then I can count (it was a very old Ford truck). I can mount and install tires. Change the oil and replace the brakes on every car we own. I built a 9' desk on my own and can hang drywall and everything that goes along with it. I do have other useful skills but these are the quick list!

And, yes, I can do all of these things in a skirt!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

MDPrepper, I can say in all honesty that's quite impressive. I think you and my wife would like each other. :)

11. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

It sounds like they are going to screw up the show again. The first season could have been good if only they were normal people. I wanted them to struggle. To actually have to survive.

Instead, we get professionals who are handed everything they need and who are building what the producers tell them to build.

Forget the doctor, the engineer, or the virologist. Where are the starbucks checkout girls? What about the average office workers?

12. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Okay what is the best Bear Grylls dvd to buy???? You know for preparedness not how to fight a scorpion or live with a bear and eat poop. Thats just to much information.
    We only have dvd no cable so we buy rent barrow dvds. We look for stuff like this! We always hope for something to give us ideas. We bought a tv show called Jerico a couple of years ago. We liked it but it didn't have too much except the iodine and the straw in the neck. If I remember correctly.

13. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I don't know about DVD's related to just "prepping." There are a lot of them on aspects of preparing. Paladin press has a lot of good titles in DVD and book form. There is a lot of good stuff on YouTube as well since you obviously have internet access.

There are some excellent magazines to read/subscribe to. My favorites are Backwoodshome Magazine, Backwoodsman, and Countryside and Small Stock Journal. Don't forget FEMA, the Red Cross and Homeland Security for survival information.

The best place to be is on forums like this one.

14. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Member

I watched it for acouple of episodes then stopped got tired of the convient items...and general stupidity off the people there. like creating a fire tat smokes alot outside suggest people and would been found... personly if i leave the city i would stay invisible. Worse part about the show was they had government involved experts that probly in a SHTF event wounldnt have a clue
    as to what to do. But the cool part was that before they let people go to survive was sleep deprevation,they should have made them exercise as well during their 30 hour sleep dep time.

15. glocker21

glocker21 Quiet Hospitalier

I am impressed

Quite frankly I am impressed. It seems to me that woomen have really stepped up in regards of obtaining skillsets that are "normally" male roles. Good job gals!!!

On the other hand it really disturbs me how males have become such freakin pansies. Yopu do not ahve to be a brute to be a man just be confident and have skills

16. backlash

Check this site.
    He has a CD with all the site information on it for $10.
    Drum-Runners.com

17. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Well I watched the whole series and quite frankly was not really that impressed- they loaded the cast with folks hand picked and like others have said, gave them pretty much what they needed.. Some of the people on the show would never last around me, the first time someone yelled at me and pushed me around like the one fella did to many of the others, he woulda been gone! That kind of person really needed to be ousted from the group, he did more damage than good. Their( mainly his) bartering skills were non-existent and what poor choices they made when they bartered. You never "trade" away every freaking thing ya got (the oranges, if they had a cart I would have stripped the tree and I would have dried as many as possible) They put up SOS signs broadcast where they were..It was like they were asking to be killed off. I sat there and could see when they were out "scavenging" many plants that folks consider weeds that are truly yummy and edible. I did like how they made their water supply safe, but they still relied heavily on propane that they found and other things left them. Their choice of "sanctuary" was poor and hard to defend they would have been better off out in the country or at least a smaller place with easier to defend areas... They could have easily started a small garden and got in the time frame many of the leafy wild "weeds" and greens for eating. Being in CA they had enuf sun and parts and pieces to make a solar still that could be running nonstop to purify water also... So many things were mishandled--too many chefs and not enuf dishwashers and buss boys if you know what I mean..
    I take great offense to the "(these skills do not necessarily pertain to the housewife)" quote, who the heck do they think is gonna be left? Most of the cerebral types will probably be the first to disappear.:rolleyes:
    And on the question of who to watch to understand more about survival--LES STROUD!(aka Survivorman) At least he does what he shows on tv, they drop him off and he is out there for better or worse for 7 days with only himself to depend on.(and only himself to do all the camera work) No going to the hotel after a hard day shooting film for him.
    If they really wanted to make a good tv show they need to re-vamp survivor to make the both teams have to deal with what they have, no voting folks off maybe they do some games and trade people and the first team to say I've had enuf and ain't gonna do it no more loses the money I wonder how long they could do it? Could end up the longest running reality show.. lol

18. Emerald

It figures!:rolleyes: House wives need not apply but they picked a model!:eek: Morons!

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

You contacted them!?

20. Emerald

I didn't but I read the OP and it stated no house wife (snip-(these skills do not necessarily pertain to the housewife) end snip) But it is on right now and one of the girls on the show is a model...:rolleyes: Said so in the opening credits.