Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
somewhat moldy
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I won the lottery. :eek:vract: The lower roller on my Heston 3309 split in half dead center. It was the first round of the field going very slow. I didn't hit any thing and the discbine has only one owner, myself, and has not been abused and is well maintained. No one in this neck of the woods has ever heard of or seen this happen before to any discbine. The roller is being sent to Agco at their expense for investigation, but I get to pay for the replacement. :gaah:

Won a free play on the lottery :2thumb: when I was able to track down a used roller off of another stripped discbine in a shed on some one's back forty. New rollers cost $6000.00 Can. if any one wants to share my heart attack. :eek:

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
New rollers cost $6000.00 Can. if any one wants to share my heart attack.
That's the point where you go buy another good used discbine - - and sell parts off of yours to pay for the other one.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
They aren't going to help you out at all? Doesn't make sense that they'd pay to get the roller back to "investigate" and then not at least help you out with the repair.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
that is a pricey roller, not sure how a piece of tubing a bit of shaft and some rubber can cost that much, until I recall the prices for our baler sprockets.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Assuming they are similar to NH or JD rubber molded to steel rollers, the price isn't that far out there. There was a shop in Sask. that made steel replacement ones but they weren't much cheaper and the interlocking rubber seem to work better in most situations.

I have never heard of them failing either, I have seen 10ft NH ones abused terribly to where the torsion bars were gone but somehow they were still close enough to true to not tear the machine apart, those things spin FAST and are heavy. The rubber will get torn loose at some point though, no way around it, the main problem with used ones.

·
somewhat moldy
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rubber is pristine like a brand new roller. This thing split, smoothly I might add, around the circumference dead center completely through the inner metal shaft and the rubber. It was the lower roller if anyone is interested. I was very lucky to find a used roller and hope it lasts because I cannot be buying a single roller worth almost as much as a used disbine.

I am on the look out for another used discbine that I can inter change parts with, but used machinery here is being snapped up by US dealers due to the low looney. Even our auctions are getting raided.

I have dibs on one that I found, but it is a repo and I cannot get it until all the paper work is official. Lord only knows how long that will take and with it being the end of the year, of no use to me for the last hay crop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts