Dinner from a Jar

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by ashley8072, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ashley8072

ashley8072 The only one responsible for yourself, is you!

I've been on this run lately of making what we call Easy Dinner. My Mom gave me a book called Gifts from a Jar years and years ago. Since my newly acquired dehydrator and vacuum sealer, I've started using it all the time. Ive set a goal for myself to make 100 of these to store before the New Year. I stick with recipes that require little work and ingredients when ready to make. I've found some, but not much, recipes online. I keep some in the cabinet for our own use, and then once a week I make about 4 dif meals 2 each. I vacuum seal them so they stack and/or lay flat. So I thought about some recipe shares and I'll start off with our family fav...apparently in the second post because my screen won't move. ;)

2. ashley8072

Chicken and Rice Soup

1/2 c. Split peas or wild rice (I use reg instant rice usually)
    2 tbs. minced onion
    2 tbs. veggie flakes (I use 1/2 carrots and 1/2 celery)
    2 tsp. chicken boullion crumbled
    1 tsp. thyme
    1/2 tsp. garlic (however I've got it, minced or powdered)
    1/2 tsp. marjoram
    1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
    1 c. Brown rice (I use reg instant rice for this also)
    1 bay leaf
    (Layer all ingredients as listed if using jar, or just combine them in a container if using bags)
    *Needed ingredients to cook: Listed Soup mix, 6-7 c. Water, 8oz tomato sauce, 1 can or cup cooked chopped chicken, salt and pepper..

1. Combine soup mix, water, tomato sauce in cook pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 min (determine how you want your veggies).
    2. Add chicken. Heat thoroughly and simmer a few minutes til reached desired thickness. Remove Bay Leaf.
    Makes 10-12 serv. it's quite a bit and very good.

Note: all soup mix ingredients are dry. I use all my own dehydrated stuff and when cooking make sure to test the veggies. I like mine a little tough, almost crunch like.

Attached Files:

3. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

absolutely awesome! I'm going to make this....thanks

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

You know my wife makes jar things all the time for gifts (like hot cocoa, brownie mix, etc., etc.). Never thought about making them with a soup mix or other meal. I also never thought of putting them in a vacuum seal bag. I am so impressed I will overlook the fact that you like Glocks. ;)

5. ashley8072

Aah, Glock. My right hand friends. :)

Actually I've done some brownie mix too, but mostly in bags for storage. I've also done my own Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, which turned out really great!

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

1 c. Oatmeal
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 c. Sliced almonds (I did some with and without)
    1/4 c. Dehydrated apples chopped

Best if you let soak a few minutes before turning on the heat (softens the apples). Cook like any stovetop oatmeal.

This is a layered recipe, but I doubled some up and made large batches and small in bags. I also added sugar to them. I'm gonna try adding a little bit of powdered milk to my next ones I make.

6. AuroraHawk

AuroraHawk Okie from Michigan via Alaska!

Very nice! Have you tried dehydrating chicken? It may be possible to get that recipe to the point of needing only water when ready to cook it.

Would it be possible to get you to share the title of the recipe book?

7. mma800

mma800 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chicken and rice recipe. I am going to mix some up this weekend! Would you please post some others, especially the Texas 2 step?
    Thanks!

8. ashley8072

The title is called Gifts From a Jar. It's a binder book, brown and tan. Came with raffia and cloth for making the gifts for like 2 I think. I've def thought about dehydrating the chicken, I have yet to experiment with that though.

Sure. I'll get that up in just a bit ;)

Attached Files:

9. ashley8072

Texas Two-Step Soup mix

1 (1.61 oz) pkg brown gravy mix
    2 tbs. chili powder (any heat you prefer)
    2 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. minced onion
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    10-12 tortilla chips coarsely crushed (round bite size ones best)
    1 - 1 1/4 c. Small-medium pasta (I've used egg noodles and macaroni before)
    1 tbs dried corn
    1 tbs. dried bell pepper
    *Needed ingredients: 8 c. Water, 1/2 lb cooked ground beef.

- Add all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 hours, or until pasta is cooked. (Mines usually done around 30min)

10. cpiano

cpiano Newbie

I have made several of these. http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/p/52-method-recipe.html We really like the stroganoff from here.

I have the same book mentioned and really like it as well. The chicken and rice is great. The thing is that these are such great time savers. I do not buy the dried chicken or any other meat because I have lots of canned on my shelves. I just add a note to the outside of the jar that I need to add a pint of chicken or ground beef or whatever.

My question.....has anyone tried dehydrating their own brown rice and adding it to something like the OP listed? If so, I would love to know the results and whether we could benefit from saving the leftovers and using them as the OP suggests.

Thanks for starting this thread!! Hopefully, others will have other sources to share!

11. ashley8072

I'm going to dehydrate my own rice this weekend. I hear that's how Instant is made. Cook as directed, cool, then place in dehydrator. I hope it works because I'm out of Instant atm and I've got a lot of regular. lol!

I've actually never thought about dehydrating the finished product...there's not usually any left. :) The only meat I've even dehydrated has been Shrimp, and I'm hoping to find a dry meal for them soon. ;)

12. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

That is what Davarm told me to do. He is our resident "Dehydrating Guru" :kiss: Yes, it worked perfectly.

13. ashley8072

White Christmas Soup Mix

2.75 oz. pkg. Country Gravy
    2 tbs. chicken bouillon
    2 tbs. minced onion
    2 tbs. celery
    2 tsp. parsley
    2 1/2- 3 c. egg noodles
    *Needed ingredients: 8 c. water, 1 can cooked chicken.

- Combine mix and water. Bring to Boil. Reduce heat and add chicken. Cover and simmer til noodles are done.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Any leftovers that we have, I put into a washed tv dinner tray (i get them from my grandpa). Lay in freezer uncovered til frozen, then slide into a vacuum sealer bag and seal. When ready to use, just pull out and slit the top, microwave. Makes great after school dinners.

14. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

15. ashley8072

Perfect! I even seen some of the ones I got from other sites. There's a lot on there! Maybe I'll get lucky and we won't be busy at work today so I can jot some of these down. Thanks md. :)

16. phxrising

phxrising Junior Member

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about getting a vacuum sealer but wasn't sure how/how much I would use it. You just gave me great ideas :D

17. mma800

mma800 Well-Known Member

I made up a few packs of the Texas 2 step chili and chicken and rice soup today. Tomorrow I am going to dehydrate some more rice, but it is full of mushrooms right now. ( they were buy 1 get 1 free today):D

18. cas4green

cas4green Newb w/ skills

Thought this was the funniest part as an out of nowhere comment...I am a 1911-A1 Springfield Armory kinda guy and just got the wife a SW 38 Revolver Airweight.

On a serious note a glock is a good thing....until it explodes in your hand!

ashley8072 - Thank you for all the recipes!

Hope to share some of mine soon, like my "Yellow Fries" seasoning recipe!

19. ashley8072

I just made up a nice little stock. Hitting meals hard tonight while the kitchen is still clean. :)

Attached Files:

20. ashley8072

Ok, after months of looking at recipes, making meals as is and with substitutes...I've made my own concoction for supper tonight. Man it was good and very very filling. I call it:

Easy Howse Soup :)

1/2 c. Lentils
    2 Tbsp minced onion
    2 tbsp dried celery
    2 tbsp dried carrots
    1/2 c. Rice (I used reg rice since the dry stuff takes about 45 min to cook)
    2 tbsp beef cubes crushed
    2 tbsp parsley
    1 tsp lemon pepper
    1/2 c. Split peas
    2 c. Or to the top of jar) egg noodles
    *Layer jar top to bottom

Needed ingredients: 9 c. Water, 1 pound ground beef, 1 can tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes (for the tomato lovers. I didn't use them but will next time). If you use diced tomatoes you might use 8 c. Water instead.

Brown beef, drain fat. Add rest of ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45min to an hour. Stir occasionally. Test peas for done ness.

We got hungry just smelling it, and ate before the peas were completely done. It made a lot! Can't even tell we ate any out of it. Getting ready to make up 8 bags of it for store. :)