Digital TV Take Over

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by KensWife, Jan 7, 2009.

1. KensWife

KensWife Member

Our TVs are not that old, I'd like to know if our TVs will work with this new "digital tv" deal or if I will have to purchase an adapter.

We have digital cable right now and we are getting rid of it this week to save money.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Unless you have paid cable you will need a box to pick up antenna stations.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

not to shill for anybody... but I saw a comercial for Dish Network for $19.99/month permanent rate, with $0.01/month for 5 premium movie stations for 12 months...

4. KensWife

KensWife Member

the only thing - im not a huge fan of dish network - when it storms or is really cloudy here (often) - it doesnt work. we tried it for a while...

thanks though :)

5. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

They lie they will change the rate on you. They have done it before.

6. josh302

josh302 Member

click this link:
    https://www.dtv2009.gov/

fill out application for a coupon, get the 40.00 coupon.
    the link above tells everything you need to know.

the real question is, why is the govt making everyone switch?

7. Tex

Tex Pincushion

Most new TVs now are digital and do not require a box. My newest is about 2 years old, but it is analog.:(

I'm debating on whether or not I should get boxes for my TVs, get sattelite TV, or just use the TVs for DVDs and video games.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That is the only reason I have a TV - to play a DVD (either home-made video or store-bought). I do alot of video / photography and create alot of my own DVD's - they are kind of like "showing vacation slides" to friends of the 70's -but with alot more excitement thrown in ;)

9. River Rafter

River Rafter Member

Digital converter box coupons

We just tried to get coupons for the digital converters... was told they ran out of money for the program. There is a waiting list for "if and when" they get more coupons. Typical government planning.

10. josh302

josh302 Member

I got mine early.

11. merlotmaker

merlotmaker Guest

I think most people are gonna be ok. I don't know many people who use bunny ears anymore.

12. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Most people don't see the real big downside to this change. Those portable radios with "TV Band" for emergencies will no longer get TV stations in.. :(

13. The_Blob

yeah, THAT was one of my major concerns... if I were forced to rely on TV broadcasts for information (local, PBS etc etc) due to an emergency I suppose the radio would have to suffice (& it should).

14. The_Blob

anybody think they will build one with a digital tuner in it then, or will that be a niche-market nobody is concerned with?

15. SherylSmitty

SherylSmitty Guest

Anybody know how much an adapter is?