Different levels of dead

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mosquitomountainman, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Being dead is a little like being pregnant in the sense that either your are or you aren't.

I remember watching a documentery on TV several years ago in which a group of soldiers were going through a "challenge" course for training and screening. The course was grueling to say the least. Days without sleep traversng wilderness terrian with challenges they had to overcome on the way. One of them was they were given a cargo to transport. The cargo was in a trailer. They were allowed to use anything on the trailer except the trailer box. One team took the wheels off and used a log for an axle run through the rims and they pulled it over hill and dale and through river crossings. At the end of the course they were told they'd get a chicken dinner. They ate whatever they could find and coverd a fair amount of ground. When they arrived at their destination, more than half starved and nearly passed out from exhaustion they were given their chicken dinner. The "cooks" had gutted some chickens and boiled them feathers and all and put them in some food containers (similar to an insulated beer cooler). unknown to the soldiers this was their final test. Those who refused to eat were transferred out of the program. Some of those who were "squeemish" and scored low in other areas were also transferred out. The "winners" dug into the meal with gusto, peeling away skin and feathers to expose the meat underneath.

The rationale and reason for the exercise was to weed out those who would be a liability to the team. There was no room for soldiers who were weakened physically because of their food preferences. By not eating and therefore becoming weak they put the whole team at risk. Not only did they endanger their own health and well-being. They became a liability and endangered the lives of their team mates who depended upon them.

We can call ourselves "preppers" or "survivalists" or anything else we want but the name of the game is survival. You either will or you won't. I prepare because when the time comes I don't want to be a liability to my friends and family. I don't want to endanger their lives because I was too lazy or stupid or because I was just pretending to be a prepper or survivalist.

To me it is not a game where the loser gets another chance. There are no different levels of dead. You either are or aren't. If you are you don't get another chance to try again nor do those who died because you failed to take your responsibilities seriously.

2. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

uh...what brought this up?

just asking ;-)

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

The only level of dead that I know is 'when they pry my gun out of my cold dead hands.:2thumb:
    That is why I do not watch reality shows, not even one. Well one small exception, Man vs Wild once or twice, and I regret that. "Heavens to Murgatroyd" as snagglepuss use to say, oh sorry, only you old timers remember that.
    What do people get out of those anyway.

4. mosquitomountainman

"What brought that up?"

I think the idea was for all of us to really think about what it is we're preparing for. I've been to several "campouts" with other "survivalists" in which we cussed and discussed, shared and traded ideas and even practiced a few maneuvers such as retreat defense and patrol tactics. Most of those there liked the "war games" and talk and we did learn things from one another.

The biggest disappointment was that if something actually brought physical discomfort only a few took part. An example was that the first night the first year we all wanted to set up perimeter watches during the night. At least "we" did until it was their turn to take watch at 0300. Some refused to get up the first night for a one hour watch. The second night was even worse as less than 25 percent even volunteered to keep watch. Most of those who smoked smoked on watch. If you've ever had any military training you know how far a cigarette can be seen at night and how far you can smell the smoke when a person lights one up.

We really need to think about our prepping. If the electricity is off and you have generator and lights people are going to check you out. If you have food when everyone else is hungry people are going to want to know why. Some of them are going to try to take it away from you. Look at teh situation in Haiti. We have young men taking food from women and chidren. Mothers who go to bed with a machete and their feet resting on a bag of rice to keep people from stealing it or raping them at night.

Prepping means a lot of things to a lot of people but everyone needs to realize that if you have something others want they will try to take it away from you. It is serious business. The more serious the need the more serious the threat will be. If it's only for a few days until FEMA comes to the rescue then the threat may not be severe but the average household in the US has enogh food for nine meals. Hungry people do desparate things.

I still went to the campouts mentioned above because it was a good time and we learned a lot of stuff but I've written most of the people who attended off as far as relying on them in a severe crisis. Maybe if the bad guys come through at a convenient time they'll be ready for them. I'm not willing to risk my family's well being on their psuedo security.

People say they'll do these things when the time comes but few things work well the first time we try them. When your boat capsizes in a storm is not the time to learn how to swim.

I've made fires with friction using a bow/drill and taught others how. Then I didn't do it for a couple of years and got my "makings" out to show one of my kids how its done and I tried for 20 minutes until I finally got a fire. I practice it regularly now just to keep up my technique so that if I actually need it I can do it. The first time I tried to start a fire in a snowstorm It took me almost 30 minutes. It was a good thing I wasn't hypothermic or I might have died. My sife and I lived on rice and beans for 30 days once just to see what it was like. It's doable but not pleasurable but in doing it we learned a lot and now stock up on spices, etc. that we did not have before. Just last month we lived for the entire months off our stored suppies jus to look for weak spots.

I'm not trying to brag (I have a lot to work on yet!) or to scare or disuade anyone who is new or old at "prepping." My first wife died of cancer and just tolerated my prepping. My current wife went through some times of near starvation with five children depending on her and takes it very seriously.

Ths is the time to try things out and work out the bugs. Then when the real thing comes along you'll be able to act with confidence knowing it's a situation you can handle. This is the time to really get to know the people you may have to depend on because you sure don't want to find out later that they'd sell you out for a pack of cigarettes or let the bad guys in because they didn't think a night watch was really important.

Even though I have military training (USMC) my family is not a military unit. Even one casualty is one too many. I do not prepare to prepare. I prepare to survive.

I'm not writing this to intimidate, repremand or any other motive like that and my intention is not to cause hard feelings. I may just back off for a few days to let things calm down as it seems I'm causing strife when it was not my intentions.

My apologies to those I've offended.

5. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

what happens when your... mom,dad, brother, sister, wife,son daughter are the weak ones there's countless scenarios one could think of mental illness, bad attitude, lazy, clashing ideologies- beliefs, greed, envy,

beyond those, things happen to people under stress and some simply cannot take it.

...you prepared for that, how will you handle it?

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I'm not sure who you offended, it sure wasn't me, I've got a thick hide and have been skinned and deep fried many times.
    I wasn't sure what you getting at when you talked about death though and your thread title "different levels of dead".
    Please do not back off, we need commentary such as yours, to keep a balanced outlook here. Or are you going to just give up, reading your posts and replies doesn't seem like you would do that anyway.
    If it offends someone, take it, and come back with facts to back up your point or opinions.
    Keep on truckin'.;)

Bob

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

Semper Fidelis Mosquitomountainman.......Devil dogs never give up, never give in......0 apologies needed......ever

Faithful to God, Country, Family and the Corps.

"SemperFi,DoOrDie!GungHo,GungHo,GungHo!WhatMakesTheGrassGrow?Blood,Blood,Blood!WhatDoWeDoForALiving,Ladies?Kill,Kill,Kill!" ...when the sh*t hits the fan, then let the fun begin...

8. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Mosquitomountainman you bring up a very valid point. We have had several meet and greets canceled in my area because it is too cold. What a perfect opportunity to practice cold weather survival skills....a few of us did just that......unfortunately a lot of people bailed and missed out on an opportunity to learn.

SEMPER FI!

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm with you mosquitoman...food is fuel plain and simple. Not tasty? Not important.

10. mosquitomountainman

The points you bring up have been discussed by our group. A certain amount of slack can be given under some circumstances. Laziness and selfishness will not be tolerated from anyone. One of the things I really appreciated about USMC boot camp and afterwards was that no one who sincerely tried was ever left behind or booted out. Help was provided and they were brought up to par. The one thing that was not tolerated was quiting.

The point of my previous posts on this thread is that surviving is serious busines and should be taken as such. There are too many people who think they can survive by stockpiling food and to a degree that's true but in a true SHTF situation you're probably just going to get yourself killed (and that might be a blessing compared to what some members of your group may face) and give your supplies to whoever was stronger than you.

The same holds true if you are part of a group. If you have people who don't take it seriously why would you want to put you or your famiy's welfare in their hands?

Just give this matter some thought.

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am not sure if there is a difference between a Canadian and American survivalist. I would think that your being in Montana, your environmental-survival-skill-set is very similar to my own (weather skills) but what I find is different is that US-based preppers and CDN-based preppers each have a different take on what survival means to them.

I am not thinking that someone is going to come to my house and demand everything that I have pointing guns in my face. I am thinking that someone will come to my house and offer to share a beer. I don't really know why, but, I don't have that kind of fear-of-others as what is written about in many survivalist-fiction that I have read.

What I am preparing for is long-term power-loss, ice-age and that kind of environmental issues. I figure that Canadian Indians and Eskimos lived for quite a few years living off the land in skin or ice shelters - why can't I do it too?

Humanity as a whole has survived several ice-ages - what makes this next one so different?

12. mosquitomountainman

I can see why you would see things differently. I hope your fellow countrymen/women are as genteel in a SHTF situation as you believe. I am not so confident of that here. I sincerely hope you are correct but what I've seen worldwide is that things generally go really bad.

I too believe that with preparation we can survive about anything but for many who do not prepare it isn't going to happen. A lot will depend upon how things pan out. Will there be worldwide devastation? How much warning will we have? There are too many variables here to list. In any case, I want people around me who I can trust.

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I think the American mentality of violent assault is based on population density and the seeming helplessness of the people around us.

14. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree It confused me at first, but I re-read the post(s) and it made sense. IMO keep on keepin on.

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I think that your points were well stated and very honest, Mosquito. I liked what I read and agree wholeheartedly. It seems to me that with the violence in the malls and rapes/murders that you hear about when times are relatively good, there's no telling what these idiots are capable of when things really go south. People who are given everything become spoiled and as has been said on these boards many times before, that's kind of what happened to us as a country. And when we have a real problem-on a nationwide or even regional scale-people are not going to drop by and share a beer, as much as I'd like to believe that they would. Bad times should foster a community helps community attitude but I'm afraid it won't. In this blizzard we just had our little rural community banded together but would that happen in a major city? It'd be interesting to see.

16. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

NaeKId 's quote "I am not thinking that someone is going to come to my house and demand everything that I have pointing guns in my face. I am thinking that someone will come to my house and offer to share a beer. I don't really know why, but, I don't have that kind of fear-of-others as what is written about in many survivalist-fiction that I have read."

i think that a "friend" will be the more likely scenioro in a lot of cases.......that they'll stab yer *** in the back when they enter your premisses and take yer preps....kind of like 'blind trust'......."hell, he's friendly and i sure do need a cold beer".....click-click.....boom, yer dead .......... never let your guard down with anyone,,,at least if they're comin' at me with a weapon i know their intent.....and they'll know mine immediately.:club: