Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm done - gone
1,585 Posts
side of the hill. that way it could be used for shelter if it's big enough in case something happens and you would'nt be trapped under or by the house. As for the walking to it in winter...plan ahead. and stay stocked up inside the house

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I remember your questions about how to setup the throne-room and the problems with the rock under your cabin and around your whole area.

What I am reading is that Warren is looking for the "cheap-n-easy" route to building the root-cellar. I am reading that Diane is looking for the "convenient" factor to easily move food from the cellar to the preparation-zone also known as a kitchen.

I personally don't see a compromise happening, but, I might have an alternative solution flowing through the grey-matter residing in my head. To really work through the idea, I would require land-survey and the related engineering information.

What I am sort of seeing in my mind is an "above-ground-level" root-cellar based on a geo-dome. What you can do is dig down as far as you possibly can and then build a concrete-dome (think of a traditional igloo) in the shade-side of your yard with the opening of the dome to the north. Take as much mulch, dirt, etc and build a "beaver-home" over the concrete igloo to create a level of insulation over the concrete which would help keep the cellar at a steady temperature.

To expand on that plan, you could build a series of igloos all joined off of the first one and stretch it towards that hill that Warren wants to put the root-cellar into. Each igloo-based root-cellar could be used for storage of different types of foods and each insulated from the next one so that cross-contamination wouldn't happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts