Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had to get Blood drawn yesterday morning, and my Doctor would call with the results. He called about Noon, and told me to get my Butt to the Hospital (I'm typing this from my Hospital room). Apparently I now have Diabetes type 11, with a Blood Glucose level of about 460 last night. It's down now to 148 with Medication. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to control It with Diet and Exercise. I'll be discharged today and my altered life will begin.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Will keep you in my thoughts ... (and) best of luck with you altered lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Tested my brother a few years ago.
Meter said "high".
Looked in the manual and that meant his sugar level was over 650.
Took him to the doctor next day and they started him on insulin.
It's took almost a week before it got low enough for the meter to register.
My blood sugar level slowly started creeping up.
Got to 250 and I finally went to the doc.
On pills and it's OK now.
I'm trying to lose weight and exercise so I can get off the meds.
I hate taking pills, but I love ice cream. :p

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes about 10-15 years ago. He started to exercise a little more, made better food choices and increased consumption of natural blood-sugar control foods (like oatmeal, spinach, cinnamon). After that he didn't have any problems.

·
Texan
5,953 Posts
Dont be too discouraged, it's not the end of the world!

I found out I had diabetes and my BS(Blood Sugar) was too high for a meter to measure so had to get a blood test and it was over 600 and A1C was 14. Before I could get it down I had a heart attack and thought my world was ending but I'm still here. Now my blood work(including cholesterol and BP) ranges better than most "Healthy" people and has been that way for years.

"I" would say the most important thing you can do at this point is to check your BS before and after you eat anything and see how each food effects your readings and start adjusting your food intake accordingly and before long you will have it under control.

If you have a garden, plant plenty of summer squash, okra and cucumbers, you can eat as much of those as you want and it will not change your BS one bit.

You may not want to hear this BUT, exercise works as well as insulin to control blood sugar(for Type II) - for me anyways.

·
I'm done - gone
1,585 Posts
Hopefully before you leave the hospital there will be a Nurse/Dietician who specializes in Diabetes education and they will get you started on what you need to do and learn to get this under control. LISTEN to them! Don't go by strangers on the net. You will have to test test test and I found keeping a food diary to see what spiked my sugar was a big help. You will have to learn portion control and carb counting but there are things out there to make it easier.
And yes, you will have to start exercising in some form. Walking is the best way to start off with. You'll be surprised at just how much the exercise helps with your sugar levels. Once you get to where you are managing it then you'll learn what you can have and what not to have as splurges. There are loads of websites and magazines and groups for this disease so hang in there things will get better.
Also know that there will be friends and family who will just ignore your health issue and try to get you to eat something you're not supposed to. You'll have to stand up to them with a strong backbone and yes even your mom or grandmother wife, father or husband is included. YOU have to look out for YOU. No one else can do it. This is all on you now. You have to take control of your health.
But you can do it! Plenty of us have

Good Luck

·
Time Traveler
3,917 Posts
Me too, welcome to the club. My tip of the day for you is DreamFields brand pasta. This is a lower glycemic pasta and it tastes just like any other pasta.

Another trick that seems to help with my blood sugars is to eat a protein when I eat a carb. For some reason this helps reduce the blood sugar spike.

Davarm, your BS was too high to measure? You didn't need a meter for that, anyone here could have told you that.:partydance:

·
Who am I and where are my pants?
193 Posts
I was diagnosed just over a year ago with an A1C of 13.3 and a fasting BG of 598.

Now my A1C is hovering around 6.1.

This year, I found out I have Stage 3 Kidney Disease likely caused by my untreated Diabetes.

It's a tough road, but it can be traveled.

I would recommend a book titled "Think Like a Pancreas":

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pa...letely/dp/0738215147/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's full of helpfull information.

Also, I'd recommend you see a dietitian who specializes in Diabetic Care.
I learned a lot from a 1 hour session.

And I second the Dreamfields Pasta comment above. That stuff makes life with Diabetes worth living, lol...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'm a type 2 diabetic. It's controlled with oral medications with no insulin so far. I have a few months extra for some meds but not all. After it hits the fan I'll have to ride my exercise bike after every meal. My health will deteriorate. If the collapse only lasts a year I should make it.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Dear friend I`m also a diabetic type 2, but on my last A1C test it show a drop in numbers to almost no diabetes, lost over 100 pounds, feel great, it can be done and is easy, just keep an eye on what you eat specially the sugar producing foods like all the white stuff and unnecessary junk foods, I never drink nor eat sugar free products, chemicals I don`t like what may work for me may not work for you, so I`m not giving you advice here just support ,I don`t count carbs nor calories I just eat healthier and have eliminated ,not totally, sodas and sweets from my regular eating days, like if I eat bread I don`t eat rice nor pasta nor potatoes, that type of thing, take care and don`t walk bare footed.:D

·
Texan
5,953 Posts
If you want to keep tabs on your A1C without going to your doctor for a blood test, your fasting blood sugar levels will roughly correspond to A1C.

I dont have the graph anymore but a fasting blood sugar of 120 will indicate an A1C of around 6 and that is what I shoot for, that is also the around the high end of non diabetic.

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
I will chime in here. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 with a BG of 500 and an A1C of 7. I was on several drugs for stage 3 kidney disease. I still have stage 3 kidney disease but the diabetes is gone. It appears that my diabetes was drug induced. My BG now is in the 80's and 90's and I'm off all medication for diabetes. My doctor has me going from one drug to another trying to find some thing that helps my kidneys. I must not be taking the drug that caused the diabetes any more.

For 40 years I have been getting regular medicals and have never had a BG out of normal ranges. What I do have is chronic high blood pressure my whole life and that is most likely caused the kidney problems.

I have always walked 3 miles a day and do a fair amount of work around the house and garden, so the diabetes induced by lack of activity is not likely. Also, I have kept my weight low for my height 220/6'4".

I have been fighting these issues for 2 years now. but the good news is that for 2 years I have been through just about every test I have heard of and they could not find anything else wrong.

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My friends, thank you for all of your kind concern, support and suggestions. I've felt pretty bad for quite a while and have had all the symptoms, plus a strong family history. I didn't want to admit that I might have diabetes. I've got my head on straight now, and after checking my B/S often over the past several days, I see a pattern that may suggest that maybe diet and exercise will be the way to go, eventually. I'm sticking to my diet and started walking, throwing my knife and Tomahawk and working in the Garden for exercise.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
If you have a meter try and get the USB cable and program for it,helps in keeping track of all the numbers and a printed copy can be given to your doctor it will help him too to see more of what`s going on with your numbers.
Good Luck and drink plenty of water.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts