Deoderant

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BobR1, Jan 14, 2011.

1. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

I thought I would share this with you. A bit of history first. Way back when I was a kid I had a reaction to spray deoderant. Spray it on, and almost immediately it would reak. Change brands, might work a few days, and the same thing. What ended up working for me was shower to shower powder.
    Well I bow hunt, and shower to shower has some good smelling stuff added, atleast in the kind I could find at the time. Not a good thing in this application.
    My good buddy Bob Green brought it to my attention that he had read in he thought Field & Stream, or Outdoor Life how to make unscented shower to shower for hunters.

1 Part Baking Soda to 2-3 parts Corn Starch.

You need to crush any lumps in the baking soda with a spoon in a bowl before blending. I have used a couple different containers over the years. What I have found is you need something with about a 1/4 - 5/16 or so opening to dispense out of into your hand for application. The container I am currently using I believe was intended to hold the mix your own oil salad dressings. It has a bigger opening than the ketchup style containers I am now finding in Wal-Mart.

I have been using it for years every day. If you are out sweating your tail off, you will overpower it. I would guess you would do the same to anything else that was healthy to use.

I hope this is useful to someone.

2. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

Yep. I just started using baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil mixed together. I added some crushed lavender flowers, but next time I'll use the essential oil. Before that I was using Tom's of Maine deodorant.Doesn't have all those ingredients you can't name and it's suppose to be organic. Well, I got a rash ,bad. I had to use medicated powder until it went away.
    I've used the bs,cs and co for 3 days now, and I don't smell!And believe me, I come from smelly people LOL
    I need to order a big bucket of coconut oil. I hear it keeps a long time and doesn't go rancid like animal fats. I can cook with it and make deodorant too! LOL

3. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I made mine with baking soda, corn starch, coconut oil and a few drops of tea tree oil. So far, I love it and I am not stinky (so my family and co-workers tell me):D.

4. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

I heard that people used baking soda to brush their teeth and for deorderant before there was "store bought".