Deer backstrap dinner

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by NaeKid, Sep 12, 2010.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Ingredients:

3 golden potatoes fresh from the ground, quarter'd and then 16th'd
    4 carrots pulled fresh from the ground, coin'd
    2 onions sliced
    Deer meat - one "chunk" per person

Sprinkles of spices:
    Sage, garlic powder, red-pepper seeds, chipotle-powder, carawray, basil, oregano

Secret ingredients:
    1/4 cup coca-cola
    3/4 can Kokanee beer

Preparations:

Warm up dutch-oven over stove element and place some cooking oil (canola, butter, lard, bacon-fat, beef-fat, or whatever you have) and spread around the warming pot.

On second element, place lid of dutch-oven to pre-heat till very warm.

Spread potato and carrot on the bottom of the pot and listen to the early sounds of frying. Spread onion over potato and carrot then lay the deer meat ontop of the onion.

Sprinkle "just enough" of the spices listed above - note - no salt or black pepper in that list. What is "just enough" - between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of each, depending on the type of spice you are using.

Use coca-cola to "wash down" some of the spices to the bottom of the pot and repeat with beer. Place lid on top and allow to simmer for 4 to 6 hours - test potato for softness - if ready to eat, serve with fresh bread. If not ready when you are, turn up the heat some and allow the beer-n-coke to "lightly boil" till everything is cooked evenly.

Attached Files:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Oh ... that sound good!!!!!!

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh, WOW, that sounds good! Looks good too!

Can you believe I have every ingredient...except the cola? :)

Thanks, naekid, for the GREAT recipe!

4. NaeKid

Just finished eatin' it ... Wildmist kept sayin' that it tasted and smelled awesome. All she told me this mornin' while I was cookin' up the pancakes was that she wanted a hot meal for supper ... and you can see what I came up with on the fly ...

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Uh... Naekid... That doesn't look like enough for all of us. :dunno: Me thinks you need a much bigger pot. :D

6. NaeKid

I have two more pots that are much bigger than that one, but, alas, they are made of spun aluminum, so, the heat dissipates quickly ...

7. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Dang, NaeKid! -- See what you did!:mad: It's 10 PM here, and you post that recipee and the pic and now I'm hungry. Really hungry.

I'm comin' up there right now and you darned well better have some of your venison chow ready for me.

PS. Have some of that Canadian beer on hand that your brag about.:beercheer:

PSS. Uhh. How far is it from PA, USA to your house?

8. NaeKid

You could be here by the weekend ... GoogleMaps directions

... and I buy the beer by the two-four, so, if I know you are comin' up, I'll get it chilled for ya ... or we can go to the neighborhood pub and get it on-tap too :beercheer: