Deep Cycle Batteries

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by SMC67, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SMC67

SMC67 New Member

I like to know $$ vs Life on Deep Cycle Batteries. I will only be using them for DC output devices such as lights, small water pumps. As I improve my system; my goal is to have some type of emergency power with an ac converter to run an item as large as window unit Air conditioner for an example. I may dabble a bit in some small solar panels for recharging and storing electricity.

What little I know is, the big hang up on solar power is the ability to store electricity efficiently.

so, at some point doesn't the dollar value match the practicably of choosing a " Good " Deep cycle Battery?? Are you getting a premium product for a premium price or would a lesser product be as " Good ".

Example, I hardly see any different in a lot of batteries, but I have noticed a jump in quality in small batteries when you buy the Top Line premium. But, Having said that I don't believe is is worth the extra price vs say any other the other lesser brands. Unless you buy some cheap0 dollar store brand and they are extreme opposite of top line premium quality.

thnx

2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Deep cycle battries can handle deeper discharge than Automotive batteries, Golf cart batteries are the next step. then the designed for solar big bank batteries
    Some old electric fork lifts have decades old batteries in them
    Lobotomi has a lot of battery knowledge he may pick this one up
    Solar power requires a shift in use habits , learn to use the suns cycles to your advantage etc:beercheer:

3. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Golf cart batteries are considered to be the best bang for the buck unless you can get your hands on some good used batteries. GC batts due require you to keep an eye on the water level, but they make "self watering" caps that reduce water loss. AGM batteries are good and don't off-gas when charged, so some people like to use them over GC batts inside living space like a camper or small cabin.

I have AGM's in my slide in camper, but they're getting old. I'll probably replace them with a pair of golf cart batteries. It'll be cheaper and will boost my ah as well.

4. tommu56

tommu56 Member

Running an ac will be out of the question unless you are ready to spend major bucks (10's of thousands)
    I have an off grid cabin with 600 watts of panels good inverter and 1460 ah of battery (8 L16"s) charge controller and it was over $6000 in materials only. I can run a well pump designed for off grid OR microwave OR toaster (read intermittent) loads only one of these at a time.

Ill Run some really rough numbers for the AC unit to show you what it would take
    120v amps 15 convert it to 12volts 120/12 = 10 take 15 amps and multiply it by 10 15x 10 = 150 amps so if you run it for 1 hour it will take
    150 amp hours a pair of Trojan T-105 (6volt golf cart battery) 225 AH

So you could run it for an a little more than an hour on one battery

So you need 20 pairs to run one day now 225 ah x 20 = 4500 ah

Each one is about $115.00 now remember its 20 pairs 40 battery's
    115x40=$4600.00 you don't have solar panels, charge controller, or inverter (which will have to be 2X the running current of AC unit)

Sorry for the long reply.

tom

5. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

good used batteries. GC batts due require you to keep an eye on the water level, but they make "self watering" caps that reduce water loss.

I bought six Trojan T-105's for my GC and it was well over $600. I didn't want to get used batteries and have trouble with them in a few months. Just remember they use distilled water not tap or bottled water so buy a few extra for the pantry.

6. SMC67

SMC67 New Member

yeah, ok maybe I was reaching when I said an Ac unit. But maybe by the time I get everything installed, maybe they come up with a somthing will store electricity :surrender:

7. nj_m715

A/C doesn't have to cost several thousand. You can get to work in a corvette or a pinto. I have a/c in my camper with a HF 1kw inverter. It can run my small microwave. Of course it doesn't do it all day, only a few minutes. I don't expect it to last forever but it is cheap enough to replace should the time come. I have about $500-$600 in my set up, but it is a small scale camper sized system.

You don't need (or want to carry) 6 GC batteries if you're wired to your alt.

To make a long answer short, the life of any battery depends on the care you give it. Keep it charged and watered, don't run it down too far and it will last years.

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We use energy-efficient ceiling fans in our off-grid, solar-power cabin. Cools us off with little power draw on the system.

9. Walker

Walker New Member

"Cycle-life" in lead-acid cells

Here's some info on battery life that we published on our website (GeoPathfinder) that compares sealed gel batteries with sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat), but the life times for AGMs are about the same as "flooded" cells. The added cost of gels starts to look pretty good when you see all of that added life!

Cycling Ability vs. Depth of Discharge (for Deka batteries)
    Typical Life Cycles:
    Capacity withdrawn: Gel Batteries AGM Batteries
    100% 450 cycles 150 cycles
    80% 600 200
    50% 1000 370
    25% 2100 925
    10% 5700 3100

10. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

Has anyone experimented with a desulfator? I realize if you have warped, or eroding plate damage, nothing will fix that, but I'm thinking about getting one for my tractor's 12v. The one I'm looking at charges, and desulfates, (about $100). The guys on the Golf Cart forums are into batteries, and the ones's that have one say their desulfator has been successful in extending the life of their batteries.

11. Tex

Tex Pincushion

Getting used batteries is becoming more tough, because they can be sold for scrap for up to $.30/lb. People aren't giving them away as easily as they used to. I still get them occasionally, but usually they aren't salvagable. Even so, used is the way to go if you have sources.

12. nj_m715

Don't waste the money. You guys know me, I'm all about home made, cheap options. I built built one of these yrs ago and "saved" a few batteries. It limits the amps not the volts, so it can "force" a charge into an old battery that may not otherwise take a charge. Don't make one unless you understand some electrical theory. You can hurt yourself or overcharge the battery.

3 Dollar Battery Charger

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Uncle Joe showed me his desulferator this summer and a couple of batteries he had hooked it up to, it works.:cool: I bought one at Northern Tool for $75.00, but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Sail

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yes I do. I have a 5w solar charger/desulfator that DW got me for Christmas last year. I didn't set it up until March when I put an 9 year old interstate battery on it.
    Yes it does work, however, it took until late Aug for the "maintenance charge" indicator to come on; meaning the battery was ready for use. It's in a 1982 GMC dump truck right now and it works well for the time being but I'm interested in seeing how it will hold up during extended periods of cold weather.

15. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

That's close to what the Golf Cart guys say. It doesn't work overnight, but it takes time for the square wave pulses to knock the sulfide crystals off the plates, and back into electrolyte. When that happens the battery can take and hold a charge better. It's still nice to hear of success. This is the one I'm thinking about:
    Amazon.com: 12-V Xtreme Charge Battery Charger - XtremeCharge is designed to be a MAINTENANCE charger for any type of 12-V lead-acid battery. By imposing only the appropriate amount charge rate, the battery is maintained safely at its proper operatin

If I fully charge my tractor battery, let it set overnight. When I test it in the morning, it's at 12.55v which is about 85% charge. When I test the cells with my hydrometer, it's showing in the green, but not too far in. Since it's only a year old, I want to see if this will make a difference in holding more of a charge.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  16. johnc

johnc Member

running an ac unit off grid

I have 3 80 watt solar panels on a rotating pole to follow the sun. I have a 650amp hour battery storage. I run a small window ac unit in the summer only when it can get maximum sun at peek hours 11am to about 3pm with half discharge of my battery bank . I have about 7000 invested plus my wife watches tv threw the solar energy . Plus got a good chunk of money back on my taxes. Lowered my electric bill about 25.00 in the summer long term I be leave it will pay for it self John

17. johnc

johnc Member

I would use a gel filled batteries last longer and be able to withstand a greater discharge. And will charge back with no problems the coast for one is a bit more but you will get your money worth. John

18. piglett

piglett Well-Known Member

if any of you guys are near Newark Delaware I can give you the address to a place that has 6 month old glass mat batteries. they come from the city busses in Philly ,
    the Gov. pays for most of the cost on the busses & they have always changes them out every 6 months even after they switched to glass mat bat.

I got 4 of them for my 96' Freightliner with a 12.7L Detroit
    the price $35 each:2thumb:

piglett

19. johnc

johnc Member

what type of amp hour rating does those batt. have if they are less then 100amp hours I would not mess with them. Why I run some power at night the lower the amp hour rating the less time it has to run. John

20. nj_m715

Optima batteries are in the $185 ball park, so it's a very good deal. They hold up very well and can survive a deep discharge that would kill an acid battery. If you want more amp hours, wire more of them together.