Dealing with Lazy People

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by jebrown, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

In teaching disaster preparedness I am often told that "We will take in those who aren't prepared but they will have to work and if they will not work they will have to leave."
    My question is what your plan is if they will not work, just what to lounge all day raid the food supply when they want to with no regard as to how long it may be before any chance of replacement.
    If they refuse to leave then what? Do you physically throw them out and risk a fist fight? What about others in the group who would feel bad about turning them out and want to let them stay even if they are freeloading.
    Will you be able to stand up to their tirade about you being selfish and uncaring as they do their best to make you feel guilty about turning them out?
    What if they want to take over leadership and do things as they see fit even if it compromises the safety of the group.
    What if they want to give away precious supplies to others who come knocking looking for a hand out even if they don’t stay.
    Even if it is your house and your rules others may side with them in order to avoid arguments and confrontations.
    What if they invite others to join the group. Most likely these will be lazy dead beats as well.
    Even if they agree with you about how long you all will be on your own they really believe that help is only a day or two away. Then the government will show up with boxes and boxes of everything the group will need.
    They believe there will be ample food, water, toiletries, clothing, and generators with plenty of gas, cots and blankets. After all that is the purpose of FEMA.
    They will accuse you of being pessimistic and they will show no thought about the future beyond tomorrow or the next day

Jerry

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Wow, Jerry that's alot of 'what ifs'. Sounded like that TV series "The Colony" there for a minute. Didn't they have the same quandary, one wanted to give everything away, but, the majority stood up and said no. :scratch

Have that group that thinks FEMA will take care of everything, go out and look for them, that should keep them busy, just don't let them back in.:sssh:

Well now, back to the digging, enough of a break.:nuts:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am a lazy person. I am proud to be a lazy person. :eek:

I only like to do a job once. I will plan it out, prepare myself / work-area, then I will work hard at it, do it right, crack a beer and rest. Sometime a lazy person is the right person to get to do a job - they will do it, do it right and go back to their relaxation.

The kind of person I wouldn't want around me is someone who is nothing more than a leach - sucking the life out of everyone / everything around them. If it is my house / land / area that I am the owner of - my rules will over-ride anything that they say .. and if they don't like it ... they can run away or become a lampshade.

4. bunkerbob

Now is that a lampshade made 'from' them, very attractive especially if they have a lot of tattoos.:sssh:

Gosh if this keeps up this afternoon I won't be getting any digging done.:beercheer:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

This is how I would deal with the lazy. It is all a matter of leverage. When you have all the leverage, you can motivate pretty much anybody.

Where they sleep. What they eat. How much the eat, sleep or drink. What supplies and equipment have access to. These can all be regulated in your favor.

Think about it. Would you like a place to sleep, lazy person? Here is a hammer. Go build yourself a place to live. Sorry about that unfortunate accident to your tent. Don't worry. It should stop raining in a few days.

If subtle hints don't work, I would move it up to the next step. Motivator mode. At this point, I would be part Drill Instructor, part Mad Max. Keeping the lazy people close. Making sure they are watched every moment of every day. Ensuring that everyone in the community knows how lazy these people are. Making sure they are taking part in important projects with the rest of the community counting on them. If they fail or decide to slack off, everyone is going to be pissed.

If this STILL doesn't work, I am done trying. I would call a meeting. With everyone around, the unreformed lazy people will be ordered to leave. If they refuse, I will shoot them. If I don't have the bullets to spare, they will be dispatched with whatever is handy at the time. I would ensure that this is done very publicly and that all in attendance understood why.

6. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

The lazy person question is very important. Dealing with just one is difficult. Especially if someone in the group likes them. Once you try to kick them out other people might step in and start begging for them to stay. Worse yet they might start making threats if you throw "uncle useless" out of the house. In a survival situation this kind of fight could easily lead to someone getting shot. Being thrown out would probably mean certain death in some situations. You can bet even the laziest person wouldn't give up without a fight.

Also what if there is more than one. We all know that lazy people outnumber the sane hardworking people. If a bunch of them show up they'll start making crazy demands. They'll suddenly declare the bug out a "democracy" and start voting on everything. Like having a vote to eat all the food right now. Or to trade away all the ammo. When you say no they'll accuse you of being a tyrant.

Then you'd have to kick them all out. You have to sleep some time. That's when they'll get you. Then you'll be kicked out in the middle of the night. Lazy idiots love democracy because they know they outnumber the sane people. That's why we have so many stupid laws around gun control. If enough idiots vote...

At my bug in location only the prepared will be welcome. It's like in the movie aliens where Hicks says "we can't afford to let even one of those bastards in here."

Picture of a lazy person below.

[​IMG]

7. allen_idaho

A candid picture of Canadian in his native habitat.

[​IMG]

8. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I let lazy people in my house.

Game over man! Game over!

[​IMG]

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

You hit on a pet peeve of mine, sorry can't stand nor will i put up with lazy slug's. Not gona happen no work no d## eat period. In a shtf thang you better pull your weight or out the door. If sick or disabled understand, but folk's who suck the life outa other peoples living will not make it around here. In a group anyone can do something to help out, don't have to be gunho on everything, but laying around would not be tolerated here. Allen_idaho you got it down brother. :congrat:

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

My SHTF plans don't include any others but my immediate family. I am quite private about what I have and where I want to go. Things are stashed and I am not expecting to have to deal with others. I want to look like I have nothing too.

11. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Good idea if ya can but we live in a close comunity, and they are some nosy folk's here, we will have to work together or fall toghether, not my ideal place but done right it could be done. If we stay one on one, we would fall one by one. Most neghibors are family this would be a large area to assualt, tresspassers will be shot and suivors will be shot agian. He! He! I hope it never comes to that but having said that, our family will come before stranger's. I think most areas will be about the same. Sailaway you must plan to deal with other's one way or the other. Some outsiders could be a help you must judge that one, it would be a matter of life or death. Sucks i know but we will have to face that sooner or later. I hope its a long time like 20 years, that is dreaming. Keep ya powder dry, best of luck to all. We will need it.

12. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

OK guys I am on the same line about throwing out lazy people who won't participate in a survival situation. But let's be careful about people's shortcomings. I , for example, fully understand the point, however, if you ask me to help slaughter a goat for example, I may be more than reluctant. NOT because i am lazy or won't help , but because I have a very very soft heart. OK, maybe I am a coward or whatever, but it is not laziness . Ditto for going up a mast to tie some rope. I am too much afraid of heights. Two or three times, and some of you may put their finger on the trigger. LOL

I think that in a survival situations, UNDERSTANDING every member of the group is very important. So, a guy like me for example can be spared the slaughtering stuff and asked to help in the garden or gather wood ..etc. instead of being shot. OK ???

13. allen_idaho

There is a difference between laziness and fear. If a person is afraid to climb a ladder or kill a living creature, that is understandable. You can work around that and reassign them other things to do. I've come across this problem before.

14. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm deathly afraid of heights. That and big spiders. Everything else I'm ok. Some people don't like the dark, confined spaces, etc.

That's the difference (or at least one difference) between a leader and a good leader-the good leader will ask questions, analyze his people, and assign tasks based on people's skill sets and abilities. I wouldn't climb onto our barn roof if you did have a gun to my head. That's all there is to it. But I can work on the pump in the tiny dark springhouse with no problem.

Fair division of labor goes 2 ways-what people like to do and are good at as well as what people hate to do and are bad at. I'd never put someone on the butcher team who cried their way through every animal that they fed the group. That'd be cruel on my part. What's the point of survival if you are guilt ridden and miserable?

15. NaeKid

I have a boss who has two sons. The two sons also work with me - one of which seems to have the attitude "just do it for me while I take the credit". In a SHTF scenario, that son would not be welcome around me. The other son would have to prove himself worthy.

The problem now is, because they are brothers, they would want to stick together ... my problem then becomes - how do I turn both into lampshades?

16. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I'm all for humor, sarcasm and cynicism, but the lampshade thing is just too historically repulsive to be used. Not even funny. Bullet in the head, yeah that's funny, but we don't really do lampshades, do we?

17. NaeKid

The lampshade thing came from a horror movie that I watched a very long time ago ... I think there was something about a stone-pit that the aggressor tossed young females into to starve for a while before skinning and turning them into a lampshade or jacket or whatever.

I did a search on it, and, all that came up was something about Nazi's during the war .. didn't think of that. Sorry

18. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Not personally offended, but it sends the wrong message our fresh skin head zombie neighbors in upper Idaho. They still read comic books.:nuts:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  19. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

We have a simple rule: "No workee, no eatee". Most folks understand that. Should they not they can move along. Of course this requires some thought. Having someone that is privy to you preps, security, number, schedules and practices, might come back with new pals in an effort to take your stuff.

20. bunkerbob

I guess I'm the one who went to the lamp shade dark side, sorry, it is a joke my son and I have between us, he is covered from leg to neck with tattoos, I have none, and my comment to him was, jokingly, that he should leave his skin to science, or a museum for display. If I offended anyone I am truly sorry. And I am aware of the Nazi horrors also, be assured this is not connected in any way.