Dead Man Walking: What do zombies mean?

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kogneto, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

Here's a really well written article a friend linked through Facebook. I like the article, though it does ring of that partisan tinge people seem to love in news...actually it reads more like a blog post to me, but I thought it drew some pretty interesting parallels between Rawlesian survivalism and Stormfront.org

While it doesn't convince me that being prepared is a bad thing (boy scouts of america = searing imprint), it does illuminate the mindset of a generation raised on the idea that at some point in the future everything going to turn to sh*t, so you better stock up on ammo because there's not another save point around the corner.

Funny enough, my fiance's 17 year old brother and his friends were also posting on facebook how much they wish the world was more like Fallout 3

2. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

actually I don't know that an accurate line can be drawn from Rawles to stormfront.org, if there's one thing I remember from How to Survive it's that you need to be about community building and sharing your larder, not hacking through hordes

hmm, his prose is nice but I wonder how much research he's done into prepping?:scratch

3. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

no responses?

I dunno I'm under the assumption that I'm not very smart, and I usually have a hard time making correct decisions. I go back and forth on even the smallest of decisions (my roommates and I spent half an hour in Costco just trying to calculate out the most efficient jug of mustard for length vs. use, we ended up with the 1 gallon which ran out just about the time it expired).

The thing is, making life decisions like how to allot money and make major purchases seems like a big deal. I want to make sure I've considered all sides to an option before making a decision. I've read Rawles, and I have a massive .txt file library that I've been slowly printing off while on campus (don't tell the UniPD :p). I've seen all the arguments for prepping, but very few against...not that this article is against being prepared per-se, but that it seems to present it in another light, ya know?

Hell if there's one thing I learned from being raised in a church is that faith is not something you're sure of 100% of the time, if you don't doubt and consider things that are important in your life then you're not wise. If they are truly strong enough, they will withstand the doubt. (I am not advocating religion, simply using an anecdote from my past, this is not an endorsement)

[email protected]

4. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Dead Men Walking

Dead Men Walking??? Lately, I think this means the Congress and the Senate. I just kicked my Survival Mode into high gear!

5. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

lol harley did you even read the article?

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Whew...! Reading through that drivel WAS akin to hacking one's way through the Zombie Horde. He left no long-over-used term, metaphor and tired phrase unturned. It read like one of those machine-generated epic prose exercises programmed to include every posible word in this genre.

He has the typical Liberal outlook on the Prepper Lifestyle. :rolleyes:

7. Concretin

Concretin Member

????

Interesting rhetoric, but not what I consider as well thought out. He does write from a different perspective than mine. I do agree that economic collapse is around the corner, but one must consider the politics of the current crop of bankers. Example: AIG wasn't in trouble when hank Greenburg (sp?) was ousted by liberals. After that happened the consumption of toxic assets began. Coincidence? I mistrust anything printed that uses liberal rhetoric to make a point.:scratch

8. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

My point exactly. :cool:

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I got a short ways into that **** and decided smoking a joint and ordering a Pizza was a better use of my time..and since I'm allowed neither I load some mags..

10. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

ooh man weed, greasy fingers, and guns don't mix! :ignore:

11. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Zombie Apocalypse?

go play F3 some more.I scored some good mods that add to the realism of:

"How much can I carry and what do I need?"