·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Know I'm ready ... :D That should be spring not srping... LOL

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I'm thinking spring may be a little late this year. :( I normally till the gardens the first or second week of March then plant the taters, peas and other cool weather stuff by week 3. I probably won't see bare ground until the end of the month this year. Then I need to wait for it to dry out. :gaah:

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I'm thinking spring may be a little late this year. :( I normally till the gardens the first or second week of March then plant the taters, peas and other cool weather stuff by week 3. I probably won't see bare ground until the end of the month this year. Then I need to wait for it to dry out. :gaah:
Planting potatoes in wet ground makes them rot right? I haven't tried them yet but they are selling the ones with eyes in different variates at a local nursery and I thought about it.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Affirmative. Like most seeds, too much water will rot them before they get a chance to germinate. Like most of my stuff did last year.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope the March winds dry things out for you.:2thumb:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
It looks like we are in the same boat, Joe. I have to drive across about 50' of yard to dump wood on my woodpile and for the last couple weeks we've been fighting snow with mud underneath of it to bring the wood in. Once all the snow melts it's gonna be a REAL mess. On the other hand, our springs should do pretty well come Summertime.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Spring

Yeah, spring sounds nice right now. We can't plant until the middle of May due to the elevation and late frosts. But I do try to sneak in the cole crops around mid April.

·
446 Posts
I'm more than ready also. :) We have a forecast of rain/snow for Tuesday, thankfully no accumulation is expected. :congrat:

Tim

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I Can't wait for spring, like Uncle Joe my garden also failed. I'm going to concentrate on my apple trees this year and work at learning to make and can apple butter and apple sauce. I will plant a few tomatoes and peppers.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Apple sauce is simple!! I made 6 gallons last fall. Still have 4.5 left. Yum.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Can't wait for spring, like Uncle Joe my garden also failed. I'm going to concentrate on my apple trees this year and work at learning to make and can apple butter and apple sauce. I will plant a few tomatoes and peppers.
Apple suace and butter :2thumb: Like Uncle Joe said both are very easy to make.:)

:goodluck:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I've eaten homemade applesauce and really do like it. Homemade apple butter, on the other hand, I've nevr had the opportunity to try. I bet it'd be excellent on a nice hot biscuit, fresh from the oven.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's even better on pancakes!!!
Especially buckwheat pancakes! I get those in Berlin, Oh. at Boyd & Wurthmans, yum yum!!! :D They give you carmalized pancake syrup and margarine to put on them,:eek: not me I go for the home made apple butter! :congrat:
As for canning, mom used to can applesause when I was a kid. I have never canned before so I thought that and apple butter would be easy to get started with:confused: and learn from there,:scratch especially with 12 apple trees comming along.;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Recipe

Hey there, I have a apple pie filling that is easy to can, Now if I can just find it I'll post it for you if you want it.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
12 more days ... :D

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Don't jinx us. We'll end up with another foot of snow on the first day of spring. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't jinx us. We'll end up with another foot of snow on the first day of spring. :rolleyes:
Sorry ;) The Ol' Timers down here are calling for one more. :eek:

·
The Silver Cow
38 Posts
I am soooo ready to not deal with consecutive days of snow removal. The 10 foot snow piles around my house are finally melting with these 40* days.

C'mon Spring! I have some mountain biking to do!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts