Days till Srping!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by *Andi, Feb 25, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I Know I'm ready ... :D That should be spring not srping... LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I'm thinking spring may be a little late this year. :( I normally till the gardens the first or second week of March then plant the taters, peas and other cool weather stuff by week 3. I probably won't see bare ground until the end of the month this year. Then I need to wait for it to dry out. :gaah:

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Planting potatoes in wet ground makes them rot right? I haven't tried them yet but they are selling the ones with eyes in different variates at a local nursery and I thought about it.

4. UncleJoe

Affirmative. Like most seeds, too much water will rot them before they get a chance to germinate. Like most of my stuff did last year.

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I planted some citrus treas before the last hard frosty and it killed them.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I hope the March winds dry things out for you.:2thumb:

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

It looks like we are in the same boat, Joe. I have to drive across about 50' of yard to dump wood on my woodpile and for the last couple weeks we've been fighting snow with mud underneath of it to bring the wood in. Once all the snow melts it's gonna be a REAL mess. On the other hand, our springs should do pretty well come Summertime.

8. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Spring

Yeah, spring sounds nice right now. We can't plant until the middle of May due to the elevation and late frosts. But I do try to sneak in the cole crops around mid April.

9. TimB

TimB Member

I'm more than ready also. :) We have a forecast of rain/snow for Tuesday, thankfully no accumulation is expected. :congrat:

Tim

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I Can't wait for spring, like Uncle Joe my garden also failed. I'm going to concentrate on my apple trees this year and work at learning to make and can apple butter and apple sauce. I will plant a few tomatoes and peppers.

11. UncleJoe

Apple sauce is simple!! I made 6 gallons last fall. Still have 4.5 left. Yum.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Apple suace and butter :2thumb: Like Uncle Joe said both are very easy to make.:)

:goodluck:

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I've eaten homemade applesauce and really do like it. Homemade apple butter, on the other hand, I've nevr had the opportunity to try. I bet it'd be excellent on a nice hot biscuit, fresh from the oven.

14. UncleJoe

It's even better on pancakes!!!

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Especially buckwheat pancakes! I get those in Berlin, Oh. at Boyd & Wurthmans, yum yum!!! :D They give you carmalized pancake syrup and margarine to put on them,:eek: not me I go for the home made apple butter! :congrat:
    As for canning, mom used to can applesause when I was a kid. I have never canned before so I thought that and apple butter would be easy to get started with:confused: and learn from there,:scratch especially with 12 apple trees comming along.;)

16. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Recipe

Hey there, I have a apple pie filling that is easy to can, Now if I can just find it I'll post it for you if you want it.

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

12 more days ... :D

18. UncleJoe

Don't jinx us. We'll end up with another foot of snow on the first day of spring. :rolleyes:

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Sorry ;) The Ol' Timers down here are calling for one more. :eek:

20. AlterCow

AlterCow The Silver Cow

I am soooo ready to not deal with consecutive days of snow removal. The 10 foot snow piles around my house are finally melting with these 40* days.

C'mon Spring! I have some mountain biking to do!