Daily Tasks

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BurtB, Oct 3, 2008.

1. BurtB

BurtB Member

I know most people are scared of how long it will take to keep up with homesteading on a day to day basis, which keeps them from looking into the idea. So what are your daily tasks that you must do in order to keep things going? How long do they take?

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Well-Known Member

Well Burt,
    I have to assume from the lack of replies to your question that homesteading makes you too busy to keep track of how much time it takes.
    I am just dabbling in homesteading. I only have a large vegetable garden some blueberry shrubs two young fruit trees and chickens.
    My biggest problem getting things done is because of location and set-up. My garden and coop are down hill away from the house. My gardening supplies are kept in the garage which is under the house and my water comes from the faucet attached to the house, (three hoses to reach the garden.)
    That's a lot of walking back and forth.
    When I can get better organized I will save a lot of time and energy and will be ready to for the next adventure- goats!
    Sorry, I couldn't even begin to tell you how much time I spend because I combine reasons for my trips out there.. multi tasking.

3. mchugh

mchugh New Member

homesteading

What specifically is meant by the term homesteading? Is it just buying some land and building or having a home built on it?

4. Chardo

Chardo Member

Homesteading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently the term homesteading[1] applies to anyone who is a part of the back-to-the-land movement and who chooses to live a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle. While land is no longer freely available in most areas of the world, homesteading remains as a way of life. A new movement, called "urban homesteading," can be viewed as a simple living lifestyle, incorporating small-scale agriculture, sustainable and permaculture gardening, and home food production and storage into suburban or city living

Sounds about right to me.
    Chardo

5. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

1. feeding the chickens only takes a few minutes once a day,
    2. Feeding the horses and dogs is another Few minutes Twice a day.
    3. gathering eggs only takes a few minutes and can be done while you are feeding the chickens.
    4. Watering. Easy in the summer, but more difficult in the winter when we have to haul warm water to the dog pen and the chicken pens.

All the rest depends on the season and what's going on.
    Gardening:
    Spring, I'm turning and spading and preparing the garden areas
    Summer, weeding and harvesting the garden as needed
    Fall continue to harvest and weed as needed. Mulch as needed
    Winter water trees and bushes at least once a month deep

Wood cutting:
    late summer and early fall Get wood permits from the local national forest and go in and locate and haul out approximately 5 cords of wood per year. Stack the logs and cut at home as we have time. ( 5 cords gives us an excess of what we really need for a winter so we don't always have to do this every year) 5 cords might last us 2 or 3 years.

Manure clean up and composting.
    once a week on the weekend since I work two jobs.