Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was talking to a man I know. During our conservation the topic of dinosaurs came up along with carbon dating.
He told me there was no such thing as dinosaurs and carbon dating was a hoax. After I was able to close my mouth again I asked him to explain.
He explained the bible said the world was only about 10,000 years old. There was no such thing as dinosaurs as they were not on Noah's Ark. According to him carbon dating is the work of the devil and is only used to make people doubt religion.

Can someone help?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
If you look long enough you can find anyone that will tell you anything you want to hear.

IANAScientist

We all know dino's existed -- folks have been finding their bones forever. Carbon dating, on the other hand, is prone to all kinds of problems... I wouldnt trust carbon dating.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Thinking more on the subject --

How do we know there werent dinos on the ark? :scratch

Oh, and Satans greatest achievement is religion! :D

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Its an interesting subject... got me reading The Bible, Genesis & Geology

Im not endorsing this site or what it says just has some information on the subject which is pertinent to the OP.

As far as dinos, I believe there were dinos -- not sure they were around when Noah was around. Im not sure if I believe in an old earth or young earth. I would tend to be an old earther but for one thing someone said to me -- which I will have to research more before I can even state it here.

Interesting topic for sure! (as you can see since ive posted thrice without any replys between :) )

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
OK, the argument given to me why the earth could not be old (>10000 years) is refuted below...

Again, I dont vouch for this info -- I just found it and am putting it out there for your consumption. Either way it does not mean there were or were not dinos on the ark.

Preliminary information about moon dust (an otherwise unentertaining topic):
Meteorite Dust and the Age of the Earth

·
Banned
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys.
Sure a lot of math trying to figure out how much dust is on the earth.
It would be hard for me to believe the earth is that young. Seems like I remember reading about trees that are about that old.

I think there were dinos. Where would all of those bones came from?

Seems like there might be a margin of error in carbon dating but that might be stretching the limits.

I have had many questions about religion since I was a young kid. Never was able to get many answers.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Thanks for the replys.
Sure a lot of math trying to figure out how much dust is on the earth.
It would be hard for me to believe the earth is that young. Seems like I remember reading about trees that are about that old.

I think there were dinos. Where would all of those bones came from?

Seems like there might be a margin of error in carbon dating but that might be stretching the limits.
You're welcome! Its a very interesting subject. There is no doubt a margin of error which is why they give these wide ranging possible dates when carbon dating. The problem is that there are so many things that can affect the outcome of carbon dating. There have been instances where things with known young ages were sent to be carbon dated and it was said they were millions of years old. Results will vary from one tester to another.

I have had many questions about religion since I was a young kid. Never was able to get many answers.
The secret is to seek the truth not answers. Answers come from man the truth is Gods domain. If you seek the truth and not just vindication of your own current beliefs then God is obligated to give you the truth... it is then your choice weather to accept the truth or believe the lie. Those are your only two choices.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Yer aquaintance got a slipped cog there I beleive. Yes there were dino's an perty sure the planet been here a real long time. Some folks wan't the bible ta be absolute, it ain't, more of a guide line lets say. See, there were lots a books before the bible, a group a folk got tagether an said "these books will be the bible", lots a information what weren't put in that one book. It all be open ta interpratation.

Carbon datin is usefull but it ain't absolute.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I would say the truth in the Bible (of which it is full of) is absolute. Its the interpretations that are full of "slipped cogs".

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
A while back I was talking to a man I know. During our conservation the topic of dinosaurs came up along with carbon dating.
He told me there was no such thing as dinosaurs and carbon dating was a hoax. After I was able to close my mouth again I asked him to explain.
He explained the bible said the world was only about 10,000 years old. There was no such thing as dinosaurs as they were not on Noah's Ark. According to him carbon dating is the work of the devil and is only used to make people doubt religion.

Can someone help?
Yes, dinosaurs are in the bible - read the book of Job and you will find the reference to them. There is a creature described as having a tail like the cedars of Lebannon - those cedars are similar in size to the great red-woods of Northern California.

Also, every single ancient culture has dinosaurs described - you might know them as their original name of DRAGON - mythical beasts to be honored (oriental) or to be destroyed (english medieval). While the dragons of old are not around in their massive-size anymore, their remains are and their decendants are still around.

It is said that due to the earth's original atmosphere before Noah's flood, everything lived to very ripe old ages - including people living hundreds of years. Just imagine a turtle that never stops growing till it dies living 10,000 years instead of a measly 1,000 years - how big could it be??

I could go on-n-on about dinosaurs (dragons) - but - my theory on the reality of dragons is not quite popular and could cause some people mind-benders ...

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Yes, dinosaurs are in the bible - read the book of Job and you will find the reference to them. There is a creature described as having a tail like the cedars of Lebannon - those cedars are similar in size to the great red-woods of Northern California.

Also, every single ancient culture has dinosaurs described - you might know them as their original name of DRAGON - mythical beasts to be honored (oriental) or to be destroyed (english medieval). While the dragons of old are not around in their massive-size anymore, their remains are and their decendants are still around.

It is said that due to the earth's original atmosphere before Noah's flood, everything lived to very ripe old ages - including people living hundreds of years. Just imagine a turtle that never stops growing till it dies living 10,000 years instead of a measly 1,000 years - how big could it be??

I could go on-n-on about dinosaurs (dragons) - but - my theory on the reality of dragons is not quite popular and could cause some people mind-benders ...
Mind mind is very flexible and bends well,tell me your theory.

I also think dinosaurs were real.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I too would like to hear your theories. I think dinos could well have been around at the same time as people. I also believe there were creatures alive before man was created.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
:dunno:Of course humans were with Dinosaurs this is proof! :dunno:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I knew there were dinos with ppl! What I didnt know was how HAWT the womens were back then *whistle*!

Wait, wait... how did they film it? Something smells fishy!:scratch

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
2 Peter 3:8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Genesis 1:19

The fourth day

Genesis 1:20-22

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.”

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
2 Peter 3:8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Genesis 1:19

The fourth day

Genesis 1:20-22

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth."
So to plant the greenery,fill the seas with life and set the sun,moon for light,create dinos for fertilizer or whatever took 6000 yr.s.

Who were the neanderthals aka,cave men,maybe fallen angles thrown down to earth after the war in heaven?

Is that where Cain got his wife or was it the occupants in the west side of the Garden of Eden?Or ws this the fallen angels who went into the daughters of men?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
So to plant the greenery,fill the seas with life and set the sun,moon for light,create dinos for fertilizer or whatever took 6000 yr.s.
This is more a figure of speech... it doesnt mean when God says a day He means 1000 years rather it means that God is not bound by time.

Who were the neanderthals aka,cave men,maybe fallen angles thrown down to earth after the war in heaven?
There certainly were men living in caves then just as they do now in some places however the idea that there were some kind of pre-man man or whatever is nonsense. Sure, man has grown taller on average. Sure man has adapted to his current environment and used tools to improve (in some cases) his existence but man is as man has always been.

Is that where Cain got his wife or was it the occupants in the west side of the Garden of Eden?Or ws this the fallen angels who went into the daughters of men?
Quite simply Cain married a sister. There was nobody else to choose from. Angels did cohabitate with man at one time as you mention -- this is where we get legends of 'the men of renoun' like Hercules, Giants, etc. Perhaps Goliath was descended from this lineage.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
This is more a figure of speech... it doesnt mean when God says a day He means 1000 years rather it means that God is not bound by time.

There certainly were men living in caves then just as they do now in some places however the idea that there were some kind of pre-man man or whatever is nonsense. Sure, man has grown taller on average. Sure man has adapted to his current environment and used tools to improve (in some cases) his existence but man is as man has always been.

Quite simply Cain married a sister. There was nobody else to choose from. Angels did cohabitate with man at one time as you mention -- this is where we get legends of 'the men of renoun' like Hercules, Giants, etc. Perhaps Goliath was descended from this lineage.
Cain went to another place to take a wife.There is a missing book of the BibleEnoch that some say explains this.:dunno:

The Roman Catholic Constantine removed some book or books from the Bible he also changed the times and dates to fool the Chritians into observing the pagan sabbath.Jesus stated well that he did'nt come to change the commandments,but to fullfill them"not even the cross of the T or the dot of an I".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh, and Satans greatest achievement is religion! :D
IMHO...Satan's greatest achievement is false religion, and the destructive animosity and divisiveness it generates. :(

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Cain went to another place to take a wife.There is a missing book of the BibleEnoch that some say explains this.:dunno:

The Roman Catholic Constantine removed some book or books from the Bible he also changed the times and dates to fool the Chritians into observing the pagan sabbath.Jesus stated well that he did'nt come to change the commandments,but to fullfill them"not even the cross of the T or the dot of an I".
Gen 4:16 Just says:
Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and dwelt in the land of Nod on the east of Eden. (17) And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch.
He went out from the presence of the Lord as a result of his killing Abel... not because he had to find a wife. His wife was one of his sisters. There was no one else to choose from. The Bible clearly states that Adam and Eve had children other than Cain and Abel.

As for the completeness of the Bible I trust wholeheartedly in the ability of God to keep his word in totality without books going missing. Many books on spiritual matters have been written and lost over time -- the Bible is Gods own word. There are thousands upon thousands of commentaries on the Old Testament that Jews refer to. They are not the Bible and if I understand correctly even the Jews understand this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts