Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, what defines a cult as opposed to a church?

Before we get too deep into a discussion of religions being Christian or not being Christian, we might want to move the subject to the religion section of the forum!
A cult is different than a church because the cult leader claims divine knowledge and divine authority. The Catholic Church is a cult because the pope claims to speak for God. The Catholic Church claims that only they can interpret scripture and they claim to have the power to send you to hell.

·
Default Member Title Here
83 Posts
A cult is different than a church because the cult leader claims divine knowledge and divine authority. The Catholic Church is a cult because the pope claims to speak for God. The Catholic Church claims that only they can interpret scripture and they claim to have the power to send you to hell.
And they claim to have the power to keep you from hell with chants, indulgences and a mortal man giving you a task to perform.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
And they claim to have the power to keep you from hell with chants, indulgences and a mortal man giving you a task to perform.
C'mon... the Church hasn't sold indulgences in several hundred years. ;)

Look, Beanie, you're new, so you may not have read the thread in which I clearly established the facts of the matter, so i'll lay it out for you here:

The Catholic Church is the original Christian church, and the Catholic Church is the only valid Christian church. The Pope clearly stated this several years ago, and the only hope of salvation is by following the teachings of the Church. Other "Christian religions" are really only considered to be "prayer groups", and though they may have some limited value, will not save your soul from eternal damnation.

Now..... that's what my religion says.... what makes yours more correct? See how absurd that sounds? "There is only one right way, and it's mine, all mine!"

Let's all play nice and allow everyone their own beliefs, shall we?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts

Look, Beanie, you're new, so you may not have read the thread in which I clearly established the facts of the matter, so i'll lay it out for you here:

The Catholic Church is the original Christian church, and the Catholic Church is the only valid Christian church. The Pope clearly stated this several years ago, and the only hope of salvation is by following the teachings of the Church. Other "Christian religions" are really only considered to be "prayer groups", and though they may have some limited value, will not save your soul from eternal damnation.

Now..... that's what my religion says.... what makes yours more correct? See how absurd that sounds? "There is only one right way, and it's mine, all mine!"

I agree, thats absurd! I guess I will ask Jesus what he thinks aboutit when I get to heaven.

We can play nice and allow everyone their own beliefs but that doesnt preclude disagreement or taking a stance. Nobody is threatening anyones life here that I know of.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts

First off you'd be wrong . The catholic church was not the original church,it was started by the Roman Emperor Constantine to decieve the christians into worshipping the Sun god.Those who did'nt change the Sabbath to Sunday were killed by crusification or other cruel deaths.Many of the first christians were killed for obeying God and jesus from what I have studied anyway,just my understanding and IMO.

·
I put SAs on IGNORE!
2,426 Posts
The Catholic Church is NOT A CULT! We are not telling you all that you are going to hell if you are not Catholic, the Pope is NOT divine, blah freaking blah!

:nuts: At least we don't worship the Bible and put our preacher in the center for all to bow down to.

I am so sick of Catholics being flames here. really.

there is so much freaking problems in the world and all Protestants want to do is bash the largest charitable organization in the world!

See ya...I am leaving...and not coming back. Feel sorry for those who can't handle the truth about the Catholic church and are scared of something they know nothing about.

Adios!

·
white belt
46 Posts
Cultism....a tough topic.

Let's assume that we are only taking about Christian Cults, not groups like
scientology or the Urantia group.

I don't label any group a cult but I do have a personal understanding of the bare necessities of being a Christian and

if you present as a Christian group but miss on the essentials, I would have to say that you have defined yourself as a cult.

On the other hand, I was asked why I liked to fellowship in the Native Sweat Lodge system since many were pagans who believed in demons. My reply was that it seemed to me that there were a great many ordinary pagans and demon run folk in many of the churches I had attended so what was the problem?

God kept me safe then and he will now and who knows if my prayers will touch someone?

This story is to illustrate that I tend to live and let live because the true church seems to me to be obviously spread amongst all the cults and the pagans and the other religions,

so it is the doctrine I try, not the person.

Ted

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
My understanding always has been that the difference between a religion and a cult was only one of size. Once a cult has a large enough following, its then a religion.
I'm not actually trying to put down religion, and the only reaon you would think I am is because cult has for the most part only bad connotations.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
First off you'd be wrong . The catholic church was not the original church,it was started by the Roman Emperor Constantine to decieve the christians into worshipping the Sun god.Those who did'nt change the Sabbath to Sunday were killed by crusification or other cruel deaths.Many of the first christians were killed for obeying God and jesus from what I have studied anyway,just my understanding and IMO.
*EEHHH* (buzzer sound)

Sorry, try again. You are wrong, but if that is what you'd like to believe, that's fine. See? We can all get along, even with the people who don't know what they are talking about.

Seriously, guys, as Indigo said, there is not reason for the hatred. I have to agree, it is getting really old hearing people say that if you don't agree with them, you are going to burn in Hell for all eternity. Presenting a different belief can be done respectfully.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I am so sick of Catholics being flames here. really.
Amen. I really don't get the bashing of anyone's faith. It honestly would never occur to me to start a thread (or contribute to a thread) spreading filth about someone's faith.

And what, exactly, does bigotry have to do with PREPPING? :nuts:

·
I'm done - gone
1,585 Posts
you'd fit right in at Frugal Squirrels. But you propbably already are a member of THAT cult huh?:D:2thumb:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Amen. I really don't get the bashing of anyone's faith. It honestly would never occur to me to start a thread (or contribute to a thread) spreading filth about someone's faith.

And what, exactly, does bigotry have to do with PREPPING? :nuts:
What part of 'OFF THE PATH'don't yall get,don't want to talk religian or politics,stay on the prep forums.
Everyone knows both of these subjects get into hot debates.
If your religian is under debate and wrongly accused,then prove otherwise or have a rude awakening.
You can learn from debates.

·
83 Posts
Indulgences came back in 2009.
Indulgences Return, and Heaven Moves a Step Closer for Catholics - NYTimes.com

The original church was in Ephesus started by Paul. Acts 20:17 - 38

I never said that

Yes, let's do that! I have my beliefs and you can be nice about it. I didn't charge at you like a rabid bull....why did I deserve that from you?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
And this entire thread is the reason the admin was very reluctant to put a religion section in prepping/homesteading forum. I'm really beginning to see the wisdom in that line of thinking.

·
83 Posts
OK - I want to have the chance to explain why I made the statement that I did.
I am a Christian but these are some of the things I do not understand about Catholicism that 'appears to be' cultish.

1. Praying to the saints. (First commandment)
2. Praying to Mary/statues of her. ( Second commandment and Matthew4:10)
3. Indulgences (no scriptural basis)
4. Absolution by a man (no one forgives sin but God Acts 10:43)
5 Prayers for the dead.
6 Repetitive prayer (Matthew 6:7-8)

There are more but listing them would be fruitless. If we hold everything up to the scripture to make decisions then we are left with unanswered questions.
I would like to understand. But if the Word cannot support what's done then I don't understand.

I'm not being snarky. I just don't see correlation with the scriptures.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yes, let's do that! I have my beliefs and you can be nice about it. I didn't charge at you like a rabid bull....why did I deserve that from you?
Sheesh... calm down, kiddo...

Here again, you're new, so you may not have picked up on my sarcasm. My point was that it is absurd for anyone to claim that they or their church knows everything. That's why I said that what my church says is a little absurd, too. It's a pretty popular sentiment amongst a lot of Catholics that Benedict is not winning us a lot of friends out in the world, and the statement that other Christian religions are not valid was seen as a bit over-the-top by a lot of folks.

Go back and re-read my post. I was the one who said that we should all play nice.

As for the bit about people claiming that they know the only way to Heaven, that wasn't aimed at you alone, nor you in particular. There are several folks who have made some outrageous claims about having the golden ticket to Heaven, and that was a general statement that it is rather arrogant to assume that any one person has everything figured out about how to avoid passing go and not collecting $200.

The bottom line is this: people need to throttle back and live and let live. Jesus never tried to shove his message down anyone's throat... why should we?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
OK - I want to have the chance to explain why I made the statement that I did.
I am a Christian but these are some of the things I do not understand about Catholicism that 'appears to be' cultish.

1. Praying to the saints. (First commandment)
2. Praying to Mary/statues of her. ( Second commandment and Matthew4:10)
3. Indulgences (no scriptural basis)
4. Absolution by a man (no one forgives sin but God Acts 10:43)
5 Prayers for the dead.
6 Repetitive prayer (Matthew 6:7-8)

There are more but listing them would be fruitless. If we hold everything up to the scripture to make decisions then we are left with unanswered questions.
I would like to understand. But if the Word cannot support what's done then I don't understand.

I'm not being snarky. I just don't see correlation with the scriptures.
1 - we are never taught to pray to the saints. Think of it as the idea being that they. Are already in heaven and are closer to God's ear. "Hey, Christopher, can you put this one in front of the Big Guy? It goes in the lost and found pile"
2 - likewise, the same with Mary.
3 - okay, yeah, those were a bad idea that got really carried away. But they are over and done with.
4 - I can't recall the scriptural basis off the top of my head, but it's basically the idea that the priests are supposed to understand the implications of what we have done, and are giving us an idea of what God would like to see from us. I'm with you, I don't see it as being strictly necessary.
5 - why not? I don't see the problem with that. You care about someone and pray for them, right? Why stop when they die?
6 - again, why not? It gets the point across.

See? This is good! I like discussions! If it weren't for the fact that I have to be up in four hours and have been up for 18 at this point, I would have more facts for you. Tomorrow?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
1 - we are never taught to pray to the saints. Think of it as the idea being that they. Are already in heaven and are closer to God's ear. "Hey, Christopher, can you put this one in front of the Big Guy? It goes in the lost and found pile"
2 - likewise, the same with Mary.
3 - okay, yeah, those were a bad idea that got really carried away. But they are over and done with.
4 - I can't recall the scriptural basis off the top of my head, but it's basically the idea that the priests are supposed to understand the implications of what we have done, and are giving us an idea of what God would like to see from us. I'm with you, I don't see it as being strictly necessary.
5 - why not? I don't see the problem with that. You care about someone and pray for them, right? Why stop when they die?
6 - again, why not? It gets the point across.

See? This is good! I like discussions! If it weren't for the fact that I have to be up in four hours and have been up for 18 at this point, I would have more facts for you. Tomorrow?
536 'A.D.' Roman Catholism was born.Many of the 'original'christians were killed for not worshipping on the new manmade sabbath,Sun-day ,aka, Judaidizing.
Some escaped into the mountains of Turkey to avoid persecution of the roman church.
Good night. :wave:
I think sometimes we can learn from things we don't want to hear.

PS,I don't have a religian,still seeking the truth.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
536 'A.D.' Roman Catholism was born.Many of the 'original'christians were killed for not worshipping on the new manmade sabbath,Sun-day ,aka, Judaidizing.
Some escaped into the mountains of Turkey to avoid persecution of the roman church.
Good night. :wave:
I think sometimes we can learn from things we don't want to hear.

PS,I don't have a religian,still seeking the truth.
How do you figure? I am really curious as to how you came up with that particular year. I suppose, if one doesn't accept the claim that what became the Roman Catholic Church began with Peter, an argument could be made for 313 when Constantine became a Christian and legalised the religion, but that is as late as I could see the argument being made.

In 536 the Eastern half of the Empire took control of Rome, is that the event to which you refer? I fail to see how that constitutes the origin of the Church. That had nothing to do with the Church; that was a matter of the Byzantines retaking the former capital of the Western Roman Empire after barbarians sacked it (again). That being the case, if anything, the people would have run away from Turkey, not in to it. A lot of missionaries did leave around that time and spread through Europe, which many historians credit with saving Western culture.

I don't mind debating these things, I just don't see where you got that year.:dunno:

EDIT: Are you confusing this with the origins of the Roma (or as they became known, the Gypsies)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts