Cruise missles in a cargo container for sale

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by mtnscout, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mtnscout

mtnscout Active Member

There is a four pack of cruise missles in a ordinary cargo container like you see on ships and trains available to anybody with the cash. This is for sale by russian arms dealers and there are a couple of rogue nations already interested. Think how easy it would be to bring these close to someones border and launch without warning. I wonder if the Iranian nukes or N. Koreans will fit on there. :eek:
    In the days when we had strong international respect the russians would have been more discreet but now they see us as weak. A invitation to more trouble.

A cruise missile in a shipping box on sale to rogue bidders - Telegraph

2. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

whoa scary, though don't most of our ships have anti-air defenses? what do they call them, whizzy's? i dunno my brother was in the navy on the USS Port Royale and he said when those things lit up it was deafening, and they put a lot of metal in the air

3. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

You are thinking of the 20mm Vulcan/Phalanx missile defense system. My Navy frigate was fitted with it AFTER our Med/IO deployment. At that time, it had problems with reliability - it was up only 25% of the time. Seawater corrosion ate it up.
    It's a "last ditch" system though - even when hit, the 500lb warhead of a ship-killer missile would pepper us like a shotgun blast - but at least it would (hopefully!) prevent a direct hit.
    Bigger ships have more - the carriers have four units.
    There are also missile systems in use in many Europen nations to do the same thing, as well as other gun systems. None are 100% reliable.

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Yes, the CIWS. That's Close-In Weapon System. Also known as R2-D2 with a hardon.

Most of the US Naval fleet has been equipped with RIM-116 RAM (roiling air missile)launchers which are supposed to intercept incoming missiles and aircraft. However, if those missiles fail, that's when the CIWS comes into play. And even then, your chances of a hit are 50/50.

Point in case, when I was stationed aboard the USS Fort McHenry, they attempted to shoot down a remote controlled target cruise missile. After the first few passes, nothing. It got so embarrasing that they had to start a smoke trail on the target so that the guys in Ops Control could get a better look at the thing and finally shoot it down.

5. allen_idaho

Here are a couple of images. Not the greatest. But it should help familiarize you a little with what I'm talking about.

As for the shipping container missiles. I'll take 10 please. :D

Attached Files:

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I have heard a long time ago, I think on 60 Minutes that the Russians built over 600 brief case nuclear bombs durring the cold war and they can only account for about half of them. They are of a size that could easily knock out a city of 500,000. The other thing I wonder about is a dirty bomb arriving in a 20' cargo container on a ship. We don't open all of these containers up when they arrive.

7. allen_idaho

Manpower and time. The average container ship carries anywhere from 7000 to 15000 cargo containers. Many of them are carrying perishable goods which must be offloaded quickly.

Many of the containers on the vessels are also destined to other ports and will be taken off only to be reloaded onto another vessel or transferred by road or train. A good percentage of the containers will remain on the ship that brought them. Any one of these could be detonated, destroying the vessel carrying it, the port, and the city nearby.

8. mtnscout

mtnscout Active Member

Here's an article about how this is being marketed as an anti-American weapon which every rogue nation should have to defend themselves. The article brings up some points about it's possible uses.A Game-Changing Weapon | FrontPage Magazine

Here's the sales video on you tube with a contact in Moscow listed at the end. So much for a kindler and gentler world where america is liked.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xupOQSvnas]YouTube - Club-K Container Missile System[/ame]

Having seen the cold war and now seeing some of the nuts running rogue regimes I wonder how long it'll be before someone uses these.