Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CVFD_Madman, Mar 10, 2010.

1. CVFD_Madman

CVFD_Madman Member

My wife and I are thinking of taking a cruise in the near future and I started brainstorming about all the ways to prepare for survival situations which could arise.
    What I mean is anything from major criminal activity (not purse snatching, but maybe kidnapping or minor riots on board, etc.) to being in an overboard situation. Assume we're going somewhere warm, like the Bahamas and wouldn't immediately freeze in the water. I understand chances are slim of the overboard thing happening or a group of terrorists taking over the ship, but I'm guessing there's a few of you out there who've thought about it anyways. As for being overboard, I love the idea of having a firesteel around my neck, since it can be wet and still makes a great 'strobe' effect when struck in the dark. I already have a small Fox40 whistle to keep around my neck with the firesteel. As for criminal activity, I'm thinking avoidance (be smart and stick with the crowds while on land, etc) if possible or if on board and avoidance is not possible, then just hole up (in the cabin or some place else I can protect) and try to wait it out. What are your thoughts?

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Creative thread title, I like it!!

Wherever you go, you'll want to be aware of your surroundings. If you could tell us where you're going, it may help but since you mentioned Caribbean, I'll assume that's the destination.

OK, on a Caribbean cruise you're relatively safe. No Caribbean countries government will tolerate the locals messing with tourists, especially Americans. Yea, there will be petty crime (pick-pockets and such) but there should be nothing major. Both the government and the people know what tourism brings to their country. If something bad happens to an American, they know it'll make it back to our press and reach national news. Once that happens, tourism (and their economy) takes a huge hit and they can't afford it.

On the cruise ship, things are very safe. The most likely thing to get you is some stomach illness. OK, let's assume something big goes down (e.g. terrorism). On the ship, you'll have a mandatory safety and evacuation drill before you set sail. Pay attention and consider the info presented (routes and such) wherever you are. Your best bet in an emergency is in your room but if I was considering bailing off the ship is on the tender boats (nice big lift rafts if you want to think of them that way but they're fiberglass, enclosed and hold about 150 people each). All the gear you would need is already on board.

The shipping lanes are well traveled between the US and the Caribbean. If a distress call was made, other ships would be there within an hour. You're also within easy reach of the USCG (by air or sea). In a tender boat, you would be rescued pronto. On your own, you're a small target to find. If they didn't know you where overboard (or where you went overboard), they may not find you for days. You would be relying on subsequent ships seeing you.

Anyway, have a great time.

3. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I've been on 18 cruises so far and have never had any trouble. The ports of call that the cruise ships frequent have a lot of beefed up security, and the only problem you might encounter is missing the boat due to excess celebrating in the local bar and losing track of time. Have a great cruise... you'll enjoy it.
    By the way, my 19 cruise will be on April 20th where my wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary cruising the Western Carribean.

4. CVFD_Madman

CVFD_Madman Member

Excellent, thank you both. I already planned on bringing a can of Lysol to give our room a good 'once over'. Frankly, I have the stomach of a goat, buy my wife isn't so lucky. Neither of us are big drinkers and even though we're not traveling with a group, we do plan on staying in the more public areas / attractions. I'm not worried, but thought I'd pick the brains of more seasoned 'cruisers'.

Again, thank you both for your feedback, suggestions and well wishes. Harley, have a great anniversary. BTW, I have a '97 lowrider myself.

Take care, y'all.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Don't see the Sandra Bullock movie Speed 2: Cruise control before you go.:D

6. CVFD_Madman

CVFD_Madman Member

Thanks bunkerbob...also, great link to your off-grid home. Very inspiring. I wont ever get to that point (laziness being a big factor there), but still, that is very cool.

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

The home took 30 years to fruition, from underground designs to above ground ones, from on-grid to off-grid systems, from homes in urban to suburban to rural areas. It takes 'time' and 'effort' not just one or the other, and maybe a little extra funding sometimes in there as well. I still have dreams of more and elaborate structures still to come, even at my age.

Don't give up so easy.

I've been a bit lazy this winter as well, I should have worked more on the 'pit', but now spring has awakened the moleman in me and I can't wait to get digging. A new elevator and bucket system now awaits my excavation.