Crawfish?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by GatorDude, Sep 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that crawdad's might be a good source of forageable protein in an emergency. I haven't tried it yet, but I know that fairly good-sized crawfish can be found in golf course ponds, etc.

This site has a lot of good information, but I can't really visualize this trap:
    How To Catch Crawfish

This trap made from a 2-liter bottle sounds like it should be easy to make:
    How To Make Crawfish Traps From Plastic Bottles

Here is a recipe that I found:
    Crawdad Fried Rice Recipe

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

When there was no meat we ate fowl. When there was no fowl we ate crawdaddies. When there was no crawdaddies we ate sand.

You ate what?

We ate sand.

[​IMG]

3. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

LOL! Only one problem. I so don't want to eat crawdads out of a neighborhood golf course pond full of TrueGreen Chemlawn, fertilizers, oil, and antifreeze. :eek:

Doesn't this guy post on the vehicle threads?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxCR5KA47kU"]Lone Biker of the Apocalypse[/ame]

4. doc66

doc66 Well-Known Member

Freshwater shrimp. A staple in many places in the South where I grew up.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you need a permit to trap for them, but you can get plenty, I always get mine from rivers/creeks, never from standing water

i make tubular traps out of rolled 1/2" wire mesh with one-way conical entrances on the ends

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Great Britain has tons of American Crawfish in about 90% of its rivers due to them being imported in the 70s

you have to get a permit to trap for them there as well, but you can get dozens of kilos of essentially free food every day

heck sell some to a fish-monger, or trade for something they have

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

We have crayfish in Canada too but they are very small.

8. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Good eating.....boiled, fried, or roasted. The creeks that run through our BOL are loaded with them.

9. katfish

katfish Active Member

I love them! They are one of my favorite foods. And wading around a clear cold stream with a headlight and a gig is a great way to spend a summer night. If you buy your gig head you might want to grind the barbs off. We've even used forks tied to sticks when spontaneous gigging has broken out. If you want to trap minnow traps work good to. Just throw in some bacon or something and come back later.

10. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Oh yes. They are tasty. Tons of them live in the creek running through my pasture. A little tricky to catch at times but worth the effort if you are hungry.

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We have them around here too but I've never eaten one.

12. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

They really aren't bad. If you like shrimp or lobster, they sort of taste the same. I usually boil them up and eat them with liberal amounts of butter.