Craigslist winner

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SurvivalNut, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I put a free ad up on Craigslist offering to haul away any firewood left over from this winter, no charge for my services!

Posted yesterday, the first call today was for 3/4 cord hardwood already split. Man and son even helped me load up the trailer.

City folk want their yards pretty.

Try it!

2. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

wow, score. The ads offering "free" wood, all you have to do is cut it down irritate me....the ads should say, hiring - tree climber - will pay salary in wood

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah. I find those ads amusing as well. But that's coming from a tree climber. :rolleyes:

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I always wondered about those ads from a liability standpoint. If you are allowed to remove a standing tree, for "free" and a limb takes out a garage window on the way down, who is liable? I know I worry a lot, but it seems to me that the "free" wood could get very expensive very quickly. And I know you can control the drop of a tree to a certain extent if you know what you're doing. It just seems to me that anyone who would agree to do that work wouldn't have a clue in the first place.

5. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

An ad that runs in a free paper in MT and it really cracks me up except I think WTF !! maybe he's scoring!!

It says..." I will remove any unwanted Firearms, ammo etc from your home, safely and free of charge....phn #...."

you know there has to be some sweet little old lady out there who decides to have her long dead hubby;s nasty old guns hauled away..."Safely"...

Wish I had thought of it!! :D:D:D

6. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I would do that if I lived in Berkeley, anywhere else I couldn't go to church if I pulled that off. A true thinker. Probably ahead of his time.

7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

A few years back, a tree service came through our suburban neighborhood, and cut down some trees - one in MY front yard! I suspect the electric company want the trim to protect their lines. Man, was I po'd, especially at the massive ruts they left in my grassy lawn..... :mad:

But, they did stack the cut wood nicely -just the size for splitting.

I'd have kept it if it hadn't been pine. But a neighbor was cutting trees and collecting downed wood - I told him he could take the wood, just haul it off. It was GONE in thirty minutes..... :D

8. HozayBuck

As long as we are on the subject...true story just can't remember who told it..

Fellow bought a new fridge, his old one still worked so he placed it on the curb with a sign that said "FREE to a good home, it works great" !!! it sit there for a week..he put up a new sign, "For Sale" $25.00... it was stolen that night :D:D:D

9. bbgun

bbgun MNfisherman

Free wood

My dad, about 80 at the time, had a large tree in front of the house on the boulevard that needed to be removed. Dad and I started to cut it down and the next door neighbor walks over and asks what we were doing with the wood. Dad said he could have it if he liked but he would have to haul it over to his yard. We cut it up into nice lengths and neatly stacked it up for him and hauled the branches and cuttings back to the woods behind the house. Spent a lot of extra time trying to be neighborly to stack it and clean it up. The next day a large flatbed pulls up and a stranger gets out only to be met by the neighbor who graciaously accepted the cash handed to him in plain sight of the Dad's kitchen window! Pretty nice huh?

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

OMG!!! I know a guy that did the same thing. He put an older patio set in his front yard with a FREE sign on it. When it didn't go, he changed the sign to FOR SALE INQUIRE WITHIN. It disappeared that night.

11. HozayBuck

Worlds full of A$$holes...some day they will become moving targets...WTSHTF!! :D