Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week to go! Or maybe a day or two more. This subzero weather might slow us down on being ready.

We're bugging out in a week. We've been converting a uhaul truck into a camper/BOV, and we're going to use it to escape winter for a few months. We went last year, but took our Jeep Cherokee and lived in a tent in the desert for 3 weeks.

This year we're trying to load the uhaul camper with all the food and stuff we'll need for 2 1/2 to 3 months, and we'll be camping in the desert outside the small town of Overton, about 50 miles NE of Las Vegas.

We hope this Egypt thing doesn't skyrocket the price of gas, because you know that uhaul only gets about 8 to 10 MPG! If TSHTF while we're there, we'll ride our bicycles home.

Think: "The Long Ride Home", my fiction story about riding back across the country on my bicycle after TSHTF!

Only this time it would be MMM and I, and the dog (a border Collie)

We plan to try some primitive skills while we're down there. I'm going to get yucca stalk/leaves scrapings for making soap. I'm going to try weaving baskets and mats from the flat grasses around hot springs. MMM wants to find rock in the desert and do some flint-knapping (arrowhead making). He does that now, but with rock he bought from another guy, and with glass bottles). We're going to make charcoal the primitive way, and cook with our solar oven and the dutch oven. I'm going to try and build a small oven out of rocks covered with sand, and build a fire in it, then scoop out the coals and stick a loaf of bread in there to bake.

There's no requirment for a license to hunt coyotes or rabits in Nevada, for either residents or non-residents, so we plan to do that. Eat the rabbits, and tan the hides from both types of critters. I'm going to make prickly-pear jelly. Then pick the brains of the locals for other edible desert plants. I have a small container garden that's going along: pepper plant, leaf lettuce, peas, cantalope, and my basil plant (because I can't let it freeze, and our son that's going to house-sit for us can't be trusted with a houseplant! He'll have enough taking care of the chickens and goat!)

The motorcycle and bicycles are coming along on a small trailer. The kayaks on the roof of the uhaul.

We're taking one of our solar panels and our netbook laptop computers. We'll be able to update the blog a few times a week, and check in with all of you.

If anyone gets to the Las Vegas area in the next couple months, and if you want to come out to our camp, let us know!

Can't wait to go be a tree hugger down there....a PALM TREE, that is!

The link to the blog is in my signature line now, if you haven't noticed it! There's some pre-trip stuff on there, about the uhaul-camper and preps for the trip.

Yes, we worried about spending the money on this. It would have gone a long way toward preps. But I feel like if I'm not living NOW, what's the point of prepping to live THEN?

I also worry about being so far from the kids and grandkids. But at least if we don't make it back, they'll have the legacy we leave behind.

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
GypsySue and MMM have a wonderful, safe trip. I look forward to reading about your adventures here and on your blog. Have a great time!!!

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
You two have an excellent trip. Be careful out there and have fun. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Take a few Jerry cans with you. :)

I buy ten gallons a month in advance.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone! We look forward to "taking you along" by being able to stay in touch with our P.S. family!

Magus, yeah, good idea. I wish we had time to put an extra tank on the rig, too! We'll be making a rack on the roof for the kayaks, and we can put the cans up there between the kayaks.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When life gives you lemons

My husband, MMM, has a favorite quote, which is on his signature line. It's the Darwin one, the one that says it isn't the strongest or the smartest that survives, it's the most adaptable.

Adapt we will. The good news is, we're still going to Nevada. The "different" news is that it won't be in our uhaul camper that we've worked so hard on. The reason? Insurance.

When we checked in November, our insurance company said no problem. Gave us a quote that was very reasonable. We said we'd wait until right before we left, then put the insurance on the uhaul.

This afternoon, we called them up and went through the most amazing circus with them! First they told us that since it's a uhaul truck, we'd have to have a commercial policy, separate from the policy with our car and pick-up truck on it. We told them the uhaul is privately owned by us, and is never and never will be used for commercial or business purposes. They said it didn't matter, it was still a uhaul truck. ???

So they transferred the call to their commercial department, and we thought we might at least see how much THAT would cost. But in a very short time the person on the phone said they couldn't insure it at all....because we did the work in it ourself! ??? WHAT????

We said we didn't want to insure anything inside it anyway. We just wanted liability insurance, like for when we're driving down there. They said they couldn't do that. We asked why it couldn't just be insured like any motorhome, because our state motor vehicle department had no problem at all with it. They said they couldn't do that because...we built it ourself!

Now, I've seen home-made campers around here built into vans, trucks, buses, delivery trucks, etc. I know someone must be insuring them!

Next I called up the insurance lady in a nearby town where we used to get our insurance before we discovered we could save $150 every six months by buying it directly from the company online. She laughed and said she never heard such nonsense. She was going to check around and get us some quotes, and call up the company we'd been talking to (where we get our car insurance) and find out what that was all about.

That was at 1:30 this afternoon. She's never called back. Meanwhile, we got to talking about the uhaul, and the price of gas, and the stuff going on in Egypt, and how it could get more expensive, and how little MPG the uhaul gets. So we revised our plan. Talk about adapting.

The new plan: We're taking our Jeep Cherokee and the 4' by 8' trailer the motorcycle is currently on. We'll take the motorcycle off, load the crates and buckets of food, dishes & pans, and everything else onto the trailer, along with our big tent, the bicycles and the kayaks.

...and off we'll go. As long as we go, as long as it's warm, and as long as we have adventures, I don't care how we get there.

I'd head south on my bicycle if I had to!

Stay tuned! And don't forget to read my blog. The link is below this, in my signature line! And remember, roll with the flow. Adapt to whatever life hands you. I'll enjoy a cup of lemonade for you all when I get to warm-country!

Susan

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
that sucks, I had an old U-Haul (1980) that I just insured as a F-350 truck & never had any trouble from insurance turds :gaah:

·
1,799 Posts
Sorry about the camper, all that hard work you guys did!!!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys, for your sympathy!

Just as quickly as plans can unravel, sometimes they can be...raveled? Would that be the opposite of unraveled? Restored, I guess, is a better word.

We thought the weekend would be a bad time to try and get some last minute insurance through another company for the uhaul, but I guess insurance companies never sleep.

We got insurance through another company this morning, higher but not unreasonable, and we were able to print up the proof-of-insurance from their website, and we're good to go.

Then I called up the company that insures our car and truck and pushed them, and they said that if we get all the things installed that make it a "motorhome", ie: sink, stove, fridge, bathroom,etc., that they would insure it as a conversion motorhome, and it will be about 1/3 the cost of the insurance we bought today.

But, winter being tightly upon us, we're not going to do all that in the next few days. We bought the higher insurance from the company that would insure it right now, as-is, and we'll tighten up our belts and stretch our money.

It'll be more incentive to actually use all the home-canned and dehydrated food we're taking along, so it'll be even more of a bug-out simulation, without much in the way of back-up cash, which could be tempting to spend in bits and pieces (oooh, ice cream cone! or, this *whatever* is only a few dollars, let's get it!)

Unfortunately, the weather forecast isn't cooperating, Snow the next two days followed by highs in the teens and lows around zero through most of the week. Aughhhhhhhhh!

It's sunny today, so we're busting our tails getting this thing finished and loaded today...well, okay, MMM is out there busting his tail, I'm on my computer. In less than 30 seconds from right now, I plan to be back out there helping him! :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Of course we all envy you.. well..envy is a bit soft...we "HATE" you !!! :D:D:D which you know is not true..
I truly had planned and wanted to meet up down there but between getting this cabin lined out and everything that entails I just can't do it.. plus it's amazing how things come to a dead stop here in TX when it snows a few inches... hell even the mail stopped...

Anyway yawl be careful.. and if things go to hell fast find a place to hunker down a bit.. let the flood roll over you...so to speak..

HB

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Good to hear everything straightened around. I'm interested to hear about your simulated bugging out. I know you guys don't post many pics but it'd be really cool if a few showed up now and then, too!

You're going to have a whole forum of friends living vicariously through you both on your voyage. Now get out there and have some fun!!!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awwwwww. Hozay! It'll warm up in Texas! Enjoy that little ole bit of snow and ice while you get the chance! It's not like it happens every day down there!

One of the highlights of this trip to Nevada would have been if you'd still been able to meet us over there in the desert for part of the winter. I'm happy for you that you've gotten your cabin lined out and moving into it, but we'll miss you.

Next winter we'll drive the uhaul down and camp in your backyard! At least until it snows! :D

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason, there's a bunch of pics, dozens of them, on the blog:

Gypsy Sue Buggin' out

It's in my signature line, so easy to find! Click on it! Become one of my "followers"!

And thanks! We'll try to have lots of fun, and share it all with you guys!

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Just hit 3$ a gallon here..........got ammo?

I'm betting somebody will give an"it's over"post soon.

keep your powder dry,it might be!

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
D'oh! Thanks. It's not like it was in bright blue in your signature line or anything...

·
1,799 Posts
Yeah!!!! I am thrilled you got the coverage. Let the wild rumpus...I mean, the adventures begin. Stay safe!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick note... We finally got done and on the road last night, heading out just before dark. Heater blower quit working and we had to keep scraping the windshield as we drove. Wind howling and 22 degrees! Man! Can't wait to get south!

We drove as far as Kalispell and parked at one of our sons' houses, and spent today fixing the heater blower, fixing a son-in-law's car, and visiting the kids and grandkids.

We hope to be on the road around midday tomorrow, pointed south and not stopping (except for gas) until I see a palm tree! lol

The uhaul-camper ran great, otherwise. We're pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Gypsysue, Have fun, enjoy family and friends, make new ones and travel on!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
GS & MMM, when you get there, we wanna see pics of PALM TREEEEEEEES!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts