Could a big EMP from a solar flare make society collapse.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lexsurivor, Jul 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

We all know that America's society is very fragile. I don't know how people would react if something like this. I cant imagine they would take this very well. Remember the Eastern sea board black out? Well its believed that some of these solar flares could shut an even bigger area down. I think society will crumble if a big enough one occurs along with raised food prices caused by the BP oil spill. So what do you think?[Note]: The oil could stretch all the way across the atlantic ocean if it raches the gulf stream.

2. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Absolutely!! :surrender:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010

3. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Due to the fragile nature of our aging power grid, and our dependence on computers and computing systems for maintaining the grid operations, a really HUGE EMP pulse would bring the whole grid down. I don't believe our backup systems (if any) could get the grid back into operation for at least 12-36 months.

Those of us with motor vehicles (pre-1970) should still find them in operation since they don't use electronics to regulate the engine. Anything post-1970 probably won't run without extensive modifications.

Without air conditioning, a whole lot of big buildings will turn into ovens since a lot of them don't even have windows to open to allow natural cooling. There will be tremendous losses of life due to heat stroke or heat exhaustion, especially among the elderly, and especially in cities like Los Vegas.

The moving around of goods and services will be seriously impacted and food shortages will bring massive starvation.

Crime will skyrocket, due to greed or just the need to survive while being unprepared.

Now the good news... we preppers are way ahead of the curve when and if this happens. We have stockpiled food, water, medicines, fuel, clothing, etc. We have places to move to or live in that probably will be minimally affected by EMP. We are prepared for the looters and have the means to defend ourselves and our families.

Most of us could "comfortably" survive for a year, a lot us us could "comfortably" survive for two-five years, and some of could "comfortable" survive for six-fifty years or more.

Lets keep on prepping until we are all in the six-fifty year range so we don't have to worry what tomorrow will bring. :soapbox2:

4. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Suggested Reading: "One Second After" by William R. Frostchen

5. lexsurivor

i fear that this could send this country to its knees. im starting to get into prepping. im on my way home from vacation and when i get home tonight im goint to dig a hole and start putting can foods and water bottles in a garbage bag and bury it. Im going to go threw 9th grade as normal once it starts but i will be stocking up and preparing for whats about to come

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I wouldn't suggest taking food and bury it, unless it is a seed and it will give you more food. Your better bet would be to build shelves in a cool / dark place (unfinished section of the basement, under the stairs maybe) and start filling those shelves with as much food supplies (dried, canned, bottled) as you can possibly fit on those shelves.

With the food supplies being stocked up (don't go and spend $1000 on food if you can only afford an extra $200) start bottling your own water. Food-grade 50 gallon drums that seal-up can also be stashed in the basement (best to put near the floor-drains incase of a leakage). Next, stock up on cleaning supplies - toothbrushs, toothpaste, mouthwash, body-soap, baby-wipes, BIC razors, etc and stash them all in a basement closet, in your BOB, in your BOT/BOV at work / school / etc.

Next, start putting some money into hiking filter-systems that will take any running-water and make it drinkable. Katadyn is one of the biggest names in filters with many other companies doing great stuff. You can also look at the filter-systems used in aquariums to purify water. If you want filter-systems for your BOT (Bug Out Trailer), look at a company like WaterTiger for pumps / filters that will allow you to fill the holding tank on your trailer with fresh, drinkable water.

7. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Do I understand you are in 9th grade, and about 15'ish years old....???

8. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

That reminded me of a question I had a while back but forgot to ask. There are potassium iodide pills that are used to counter the effects of nuclear radiation exposure, but would they work with cosmic radiation? I wasn't able to find the answer in any of the articles I've read. I know that we are exposed to solar radiation everyday with sunlight but our atmosphere filters out most of it. With the possibility of coronal mass ejections hammering our atmosphere in a severe solar storm, wouldn't the pills be good to store with the rest of the supplies?

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I don't believe that the radiation from the sun will harm us beyond giving us a really good tan (sun-burn) unless the radiation is microwave based and it cooks us from the inside-out (just like a microwave oven). If that is the case, I don't care how many pills a person pops, without being in a radiation-safe place (like underground in an iron-mine) we all will be cooked equally and there wouldn't be anything that we could really do about it.

If the sun cooks the earth (as described in the movie 2012), I believe that the only "safe" places would be at or near the north/south poles.

10. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Elinor, potassium iodide pills are used to "fill up" the thyroid gland (a bow tie shaped gland in your throat just below the jaw) with harmless iodine so radioactive forms of iodine (isotopes) from radioactive fallout (hot dust) cannot be absorbed by the thyroid and cause problems including cancer.

That protection is important, but it only protects the thyroid. Therefore, potassium iodide pills will not protect any other body organ, nor will it protect you from direct external radioactivity. PI is still important though, because the thyroid seems to be a "magnet" for some forms of radioactive material commonly found in nuclear reactions, whether power plants or bombs.

Having said that, IMHO, every family should have a 30 day supply of PI.

11. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

Welcome :) for sure read around the forum and Google anything that comes to mind! There is a lot to learn about prepping, very little has to do with food and water in a hole, but it's a good start! You're thinking!

Also, you go through events, threw is what a pitcher did to a ball. Then there is thorough, which is what you should be when prepping. :sssh:

I was around your age when I really started thinking about prepping. I come from a long line of preppers, but about 16 is when you start thinking of yourself as an adult and an individual.

12. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

If you're feeling lazy, just go youtube type in longterm food storage and start watching.

13. lexsurivor

Yes sourdough im 15'ish. But does it really matter if im 15 and a prepper? Also Microwaves dont cook from the inside out they vibrate water witch creates friction and heat. Also even if your off the grid it will ruin most electronics anyways. Unless you have them in a faraday cage.

14. lexsurivor

Thanks for the welcome. Also sorry about the grammar I was using my phone and the battery was about to die.

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It sounds like a good place to start, burying a garbage bag of food and water. Do that first, then plan your next step!

16. lexsurivor

I just finished my BOB in it is...
    1 gallon of water (i know its the bare minumum im going to double it)
    2 bags of beef jerky for protein
    3 small peanut butter containers
    crackers
    3 tubs of apple sause (the ones in the small packages)
    a pen
    a notebook
    a watch
    sunflower seeds
    can of greenbeens
    and tuna
    anything I should add/remove

17. horseman09

Lex, any start is a good start, because that means you are thinking.

A couple things.........Are your parents thinking SHTF at all? If not, try to subtly direct them by pointing out some of the ominous global economic news to them. YOU should be reading the news and sharing it with your folks. It might take a little time, but be patient. Try to get them in your camp. That is crucial. You can't do this without them. They are your family. Be a constructive influence.

As for your list, it is a good start. You might want to think a little bigger. A gallon of water is good, but how about water purification tabs? Walmart camping department......dirt cheap.

Fire for cooking and warmth? A can opener? Sanitary items? Don't forget the gals' needs. No need to blush. It is a necessity. Larger amounts of foodstuffs like beans, rice, etc is a good thing. Lots of canned goods and LOTS of available water. Think family.

Most importantly, don't let this dominate your life. Prepperation is a good thing. Obsessing is not. You are young. Enjoy your youth.

18. lexsurivor

Im not a girl... Lex refers to a place where I live
    Also my dad Is preparing for when TSHTF he has started camping and buying supplies to prepare. My mom on the otherhand is not very weary of it... although she did buy some emergency water bottles shes going to need some more convincing. (my parents are divorced but they get along great. my dad was watching her cats for 2 weeks)

19. horseman09

Lex, I wasn't inferring that you are a girl. I surmised by your posts that you are male. What I meant was, that you probably have females in your family, therefore, you need to be sensitive to their needs. As an old goat with a wife and 3 daughters, I learned a long time ago that ya gotta keep the gals happy. ;)

You are fortunate that your Dad is a prepper. Maybe you can encourage him to take a peek at this forum. Lots of good info and very knowledgable preppers here. We can all learn a lot from "The Gang" here.

I don't mean to give you unasked-for advice, but I'd be patient, subtle but gently persistent with your Mom. She'll come around.

Good luck, Lex.

20. lexsurivor

Untill she does ill just make a BOB for her and my brother and cats until they do. I know that some people are going to critisize me for taking the cats but they mean alot to me and my family. Our old cat who was 21 died last year and my mom just seemed sad because she had known the cat for half of her life and she is happy now that we have 2 cats again and she couldent leave them behind. Also they are good mousers and have caught several rabbits.(food if your desperate)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010