Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching Apocalypse Pa. and saw a hand powered corn sheller, now I gotta have one. Does anyone know where I can find one? I googled it and only came up with a small one available at Lehmans. We grow a good bit of corn and I would like to set myself up to shell and grind. I sure would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I got an old hand crank one at a farm auction a couple years ago. $12.

Did I ever mention that I love auctions? :D

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I got an old hand crank one at a farm auction a couple years ago. $12.

Did I ever mention that I love auctions? :D
:2thumb:I got my at an auction also ... I had to pay a little more for mine :gaah:

Some lady thought it would look good in her living room... and it would have. It's one of the old box style on legs...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got mine at an auction, too. Keep your eyes open for an elderly farmer selling out, as they have the most neat stuff! When I had the auction for my folks stuff after they passed away, I wish I would have kept more stuff, like the huge cast iron rendering kettle or sorghum press!

·
Registered
837 Posts
the good ones are getting scarcer every yr, about the only place that i see them anymore is at the county fair. They were made of cast iron and people would leave them outside where rain would settle in the bottom of them, then it would get cold, the water would freeze and bust the cast iron bottom, hundreds were lost that way and there were no parts.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Hard ta find round here, price a scrap metal wen't way up an the farmers got rid a all that stuff. If ya find one, besure it works, otherwise havein custom parts made be real expensive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are old corn shellers available at farm auctions BUT the last two auctions I have been to they went for $150 and $175--keep looking you may get lucky

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
We actually have one in the corner of the barn. Not sure if it works or not. It's been modified to run off an electric motor. But thinking about Apocalypse PA, it wouldn't be hard to modify one to run off a bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts