Condensed Milk

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Freyadog, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

make your own:

Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1 cup Water
    2 cups Sugar
    1/4 cup Margarine
    4 cups Powdered Milk
    1 tablespoon Vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add sugar and margarine, then stir until dissolved. Pour hot mixture into blender. Add milk and vanilla, then blend until smooth. Stores well in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

"equal to about 4 cans sweetened condensed milk"

2. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

could it be canned?

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Mom's Syrup

Do any of you remember how to make home-made syrup??

The dark kind??:scratch

4. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

I have never tried to can it. good question..With the butter in this recipe I would think that it would separate as it cooled??? and then would have to be reheated to bring it back together??

2nd recipe without butter:
    ¾ cup sugar
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry milk
    ****Add to ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.

dark syrup-
    1 1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
    3/4 c. water
    1 tbsp. butter
    Dash of salt
    1/2 tsp. maple flavoring

Mix brown sugar, water, butter and salt in saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
    Remove from heat. Stir in maple flavoring. Serve warm.
    Instead of maple I use butter pecan flavoring.

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

When I can butter, as it cools I gently turn the jars upside down, back up, upside down, etc., every so often. That keeps the butter from separating. I wonder if that would work for the condensed milk if it was canned?

Thanks for both of the recipes. I'm glad to have them, and will add them to my collection for make-it-myself. That's usually cheaper!

:)

6. lanahi

lanahi Well-Known Member

I make this syrup without butter or salt. Simmering it and stirring it until the right consistency makes it exactly like commercial pancake syrup. Just brown sugar, water, and optional maple flavoring.

Thanks for the condensed milk recipe.