Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
It seems that most manufacturers give it a two-year shelf life - that is, the "best before" date is about two years from the time it hits the grocery shelves.
Condensed milk thickens and darkens as it ages, and the sugar crystals may become grainy, which can be unpleasant. It is likely that condensed milk six months past the "best before" date is safe to use, but if you have any doubts after opening the can or if it just looks too sludge-like, move on to a more recent vintage. ;)

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/food_storage_faq/canned_milk_types.htm

·
943 Posts
make your own:

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Water
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Margarine
4 cups Powdered Milk
1 tablespoon Vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add sugar and margarine, then stir until dissolved. Pour hot mixture into blender. Add milk and vanilla, then blend until smooth. Stores well in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

"equal to about 4 cans sweetened condensed milk"

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
make your own:

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Water
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Margarine
4 cups Powdered Milk
1 tablespoon Vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add sugar and margarine, then stir until dissolved. Pour hot mixture into blender. Add milk and vanilla, then blend until smooth. Stores well in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

I prefer to use real butter for this recipe, but that's because I'm fat :eek: :D ;)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
make your own:

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Water
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Margarine
4 cups Powdered Milk
1 tablespoon Vanilla

NICE!!
I made a copy and posted it in Recipe Share. Hope you don't mind. :eek: More people might see it there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts