Prepared Society Forum banner

about concealed carry/weapons permits...

• I don't need one in my state. We are a free people.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I have one and have had one for many years.

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • I've had one for a while.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I'm considering getting one.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I'd have one if they were legal to get in my area.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I'm disinclined to get one.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I'm pretty firm against getting one. Don't need it or like them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm dead set against getting one.

• guns are evil. I would not have a 'murder' permit if you paid me.

• Non-american - poll does not apply

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what is your primary sidearm for carry, day in and day out, do you have a variety that you might carry, and is it different from your SHTF sidearm?

I do the bad practice of changing my firearm now and then. It might be a bad practice as it might cause a millisecond of hesitation, perhaps fumbling for a nonexistent safety or forgetting to disengage one when swapping to different firearms, but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I carry the same one day in day out.. in my cargo pants pocket... nobody knows nobody needs to know.. until I need it.. when I stand talking I have my hands in my pocket and it's in my hand.. habit...lol..the gun I mean..:D..

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
I would carry if the state of Maryland would allow it.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I live with my .357 on my belt. When I need something smaller, like when I'm on a bicycle ride, my 9mm is in the handlebar bag within quick reach.

Montana is an open carry state. There are very few places where I can't wear a gun, and those places (like the bank) have drive-thru's!

Though I keep getting called for jury duty about once a year, and I have to go naked there (not to be confused with "naekid"! lol), meaning no gun.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is alsways a firearm handy, home, truck or on my persons. I did not need the ccw but i like to cover all bases. Here ya can open carry or lay in the seat as long as its uncovered. I like our KY. gun laws right now half way fair anyway.

·
Shoots to Thrill
125 Posts
VA is also an open carry state. The only time I carry is when I'm headed to or from the range though, usually sans magazine. Now, if things were to begin to break down, it'd be different. My PX4 would be on me at all times, visible and ready.

I've thought about getting a CCW, but have yet to pursue it.

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
I did find out that in Maryland I can Open Carry, but to be honest I think that would just be asking for trouble. Maryland is definitely NOT good state for 2nd Amendment Rights!

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I really have no need to carry daily for the work routine. I leave home, arrive at work, go home. Nothing even remotely dangerous, no questionable areas to go through or near and I rarely interact with anyone outside of work unless it is at home. At home I do carry whenever outside and when inside a pistol hangs on the holster on the couch, within reach. I’d prefer something lighter but I got the Ruger 89 MKII because I can throw anything that will fit in the chamber, down the barrel. And I got it a few years ago and it was a ‘pre-ban’ firearm meaning it had 15 round magazines.

Its regular load is two rat shots backed by 8 hollow points; forget the actual name of the shell. If I’m in the garden it is hanging on the fence. If I am walking around my property it is on my side. I carry mainly due to having folks in the neighborhood let dogs run loose and I have an older black lab. When I first moved in to my new place a pack of 5 chased her out of OUR WOODS and all I had was a garden rake to bop the first one with. I swore to her that would never happen again.

I feel right comfortable knowing that if anyone comes banging on my country door I can have a firearm in my hand and ready without getting out of my seat. If there is more than one or two I have a Remington 870 just around the corner in the bedroom. Yes, I would hope I never need them but… How does the saying go? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I’ll take the other firearms to the range twice a year but would never carry them, no need to. Like SurviveNthrive pointed out it is good to be very familiar with your weapon of choice and know right where everything is so in a rush rush situation there is no hesitation or confusion.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In my state, the only way you can even open carry is if you are a LEO. Then you have to be in uniform or have your badge visible.

However, it is perfectly legal for me to walk down the street carrying my shotgun. As long as I am not threatening anyone or acting crazy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I did find out that in Maryland I can Open Carry, but to be honest I think that would just be asking for trouble. Maryland is definitely NOT good state for 2nd Amendment Rights!
Do it anyway. then when they try to arrest you, you can take it to the supreme court and then Maryland will have some serious trouble on their hands for violating a constitutional right.:D

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
In my state, the only way you can even open carry is if you are a LEO. Then you have to be in uniform or have your badge visible.

However, it is perfectly legal for me to walk down the street carrying my shotgun. As long as I am not threatening anyone or acting crazy.
Please elaborate. It's legal for you to carry a shotgun but not a _______ (fill in the blank).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Please elaborate. It's legal for you to carry a shotgun but not a _______ (fill in the blank).
Handgun, revolver, knife, etc. Any weapon that is concealed.

Seriously, the law in Arkansas says we cannot legally carry a handgun, openly or concealed, unless we have a concealed carry permit, or we have a badge. And if we do not have a badge, prominently displayed in the open, we better not have a handgun exposed.
But they evidently do not have the same law in respect to rifles or shotguns.

Here is a brief synopsis, but it really doesn't address the openly toting a shotgun down the street. I readily admit basing that statement solely on the word of my concealed carry instructor.

What Are the Gun Laws in Arkansas?

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Your state sounds as messed up as many others. :(

OC, CC... it's all good here. Kind of surprising really since were a NE state (PA) but the legislature seems to know their rules stop at the city borders so they use some discretion. I'm pretty surprised (and sad) your state doesn't do the same.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Same here but you sure do get some funny looks if you exercise that right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Husband and I both carry all the time. I have a CCL, he is a JBT so ... :D

All our friends carry too. We went to breakfast on Christmas Eve. There were 18 or so of us ... Every single one of us (except the kiddos) was armed. :eek: LOL

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Washington state is OC.
However if you open carry in the big cities you will be talking with the police and maybe arrested.
Seattle has a vague law about intimidation and it seems everyone in Seattle is intimidated by OC.
Even in some of the smaller towns it's a problem.
I CC a S&W 337 Airweight in a pocket holster.

·
BetterSafeThanSorry
27 Posts
I have a EDC backpack that I carry my beautiful HK USP40, of course its in the case, but the 4mags are full in another zippered pocket in the same pack.....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts